Slammin' BASS
Jan 29, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyungryul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a go vibe v5 amp and my phones are 80ohms

OK, sorry about the assumption - the thread seemed to be about the DT770. Your Go Vibe is a fine little amp.

Jan 29, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #32 of 56
Mrvile

If you EQ that much may I suggest that you also use pre-cut set at -6 db and see if you get any less distortion. Allow the zero line to cut half way between the high level and you lowest level.

I can't help but believe that you may be getting some heavy distortion with a -12 db setting as you stated below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...

DT770 w/ -12db from 500hz and up on the EQ?

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you like the DT770 but just want more bass get a amp with bass boost
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Or run the source through the 204 Big Bottom before amping and make almost any headphone a (
basshead.gif
) ...if it can handle it that is. (non-portable)

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darth DT770-250 have more bass than PS-1 with flats... not better mind you but more in quantity. I've yet to hear another can that can match the PS-1's lush warm midrange with the bass to keep pace.

If you like the DT770 but just want more bass get a amp with bass boost
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

can you recommend me good portable amp with bass boost please?

Jan 29, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #35 of 56
Jan 29, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #36 of 56
Equalization. Or tone control on an amp, they're effectively the same thing. When I owned a pair of DT 990s, I found a low-shelf EQ with a corner frequency of 120 Hz and gain of 20 dB to be excellent on many recordings.

I'm fairly certain this qualifies me as the biggest basshead on this website.
judgeoh6.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyungryul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you recommend me good portable amp with bass boost please?

Try a XIN SuperMacro III/IV w/stacked buffers +opamp 627/637/5534.
Any one of those will make the DB's throw down, hard.
However, I'm not sure about the regular DT770s.
More than likely, it'll do them due justice.
basshead.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #38 of 56
Are we talking about EQing the DT-770??!! Is that really necessary...I think not.

Seriously, the DT-770 doesn't need any EQ(bass), just an adequate amp such as jaisins HeadRoom Desktop Portable, which I'm sure sounds excellent with them.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we talking about EQing the DT-770??!! Is that really necessary...I think not.

Seriously, the DT-770 doesn't need any EQ(bass), just an adequate amp such as jaisins HeadRoom Desktop Portable, which I'm sure sounds excellent with them.

I've been EQing it for fun. I like the non EQ for most songs, but its fun to do it every once and a while. Otherwise, all the bass gives me a headache.

Why does it sound like the vocals distort when you turn it up? It only happens when there is a lot of bass.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS-1 or maybe GS-1000 with flats

PS-1 or GS-1000s with bagels. You won't find more bass then the GSs with flats.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS-1 or GS-1000s with bagels. You won't find more bass then the GSs with flats.

Which has more bass? The GS or the PS-1. I've heard the GS-1000, but I don't remember the bass. I've never heard the PS-1.

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #42 of 56
The PS-1 goes for over $1500 these days used, they don't make them anymore. The GS1000 just came out, and if you have the $1000 to spare, you can buy them from our sponsor Todd the Vinyl Junkie and if the bass is too scary, you can return them for a refund.

The PS-1 is the king of bass. Just insane insane bass. Even with bowls. Insane. The GS1000 is actually quite pleasant with bagels, but slap some flats on there and plug it into the Tower of Power like we did at the National Meet and it will show you the Beast. The PS-1 is still like a sledgehammer coming at you, but the GS1000 is like a redwood treetrunk into the noggin, which isn't that less basstastic.
basshead.gif

oh btw that was with PS-1 and bowls versus the GS1000 with flats. If i tried the PS-1 with flats, i probably wouldn't be standing here chatting with you right now *brr!*

Jan 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #43 of 56
Plug your DT770's into a vintage reciever with vinyl on the other end. You haven't heard bass until you hear analog vinyl bass....vinyl bass + big tube amp = whoa.

You wanna really blow your mind, listen to some Wooten vinyl and you'll crap your pants with the amount of bass there is.

I've heard like wakeride says, the 250ohmers Darthed are bass MONSTERS, yet still balanced relatively speaking. Probably the perfect can for rock or electronic music. You need a pretty hefty amp. Actually, to really hear a 250ohm version well, you dece amp to begin with...

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which has more bass? The GS or the PS-1. I've heard the GS-1000, but I don't remember the bass. I've never heard the PS-1.

I felt they had the same amount of bass (PS-1s w/bowls and GS-1000s w/bagels) - the difference was that the PS-1s had such a small soundstage that the bass was everywhere, while the GS-1000s with a very airy large soundstage, more room for the bass to spread out. Both were about equal in quality to my ears.

But the GS-1000s with flats were by far the bassiest to me anyway. Either way, I wouldn't listen to the GSs with flats because it rattles the brain eve if I was a
basshead.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been EQing it for fun. I like the non EQ for most songs, but its fun to do it every once and a while. Otherwise, all the bass gives me a headache.

Why does it sound like the vocals distort when you turn it up? It only happens when there is a lot of bass.

I've tried using the Big Bottom processor on the Aphex 204 on my Darth Beyers but there's already plenty of bass unless the recording is very thin sounding. I've finally concluded that covering one of the two holes on each cup sounds best to me, all holes plugged made the bass seem distant too often.

Your comment about the vocals distorting is not common with my modded DT-770. Could there be such a thing as doppler distortion with headphones??? - with loudspeakers that description could be classified as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back