Sky Audio Cables
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #61 of 197
Note: this is not aimed at anyone here.

I really like custom cables. Hooowever.

I don't want to start the pointless cable debate mired in placebo, cognitive bias and opinions set in stone, but I've never seen evidence of different wire materials producing an audible difference - given that the cable is of decent quality.

If you feel that you hear a difference with a custom cable, congrats. Enjoy your improved experience. You should not, however, try to provide this as evidence when giving newcomers advice on cables. Unfortunately I see this a whole lot on a different board I frequent. Experienced people making claims of a cable being more important than your amplifier. "You didn't like the HD800? You used the wrong cable!" It sucks that newcomers eat this stuff up and waste their money on cables costing almost as much as their headphones. I don't mind people buying those $500+ cables, I would if I was rich, but for heavens sake don't tell people it's anything but a luxury item. It hurts to see someone with a Sundara and a cable costing nearly 2x more.

The reality is that most stock cables are perfectly fine, and you can't hear any difference. I'd say that what you pay for when buying custom cables is looks, build quality and ease of use.

For example Hifiman HEK/HEXv2 etc stock cables are advertised as these super awesome sounding, high-tech cables, but I'd take a $20 chinese cable over them because of the horrible, janky sleeving.

As for SkyAudioCables, I could not be happier. The first cable is still just perfect. On top pf that, I had a change of mind regarding the second one like a total idiot, but Reece was happy to oblige, despite the extra work. Seriously impressive customer service!

Edit: Having read this post, it came out more aggressive than what I intended. My intent isn't to ruffle any feathers or start a debate!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #62 of 197
Edit: After reading this post, it seemed more aggressive than I wanted. My intention is not to ruffle feathers or start a debate!

Your post isn't aggressive at all, on the contrary it's more interesting because you give your opinion,

Personally, I wasn't trying to give my opinion on anything in the cable quality because it's outside of my expertise area and I'm not even sure I'd hear a big difference between a stock and a higher end cable, I accept thaht.

Why I buy a new cable? Simply because my stock cable isn't working properly with the 3.5 mm plug and as I bought a second hand skyAudioCable for my Ollo Audio S4R that I found to be very well made considering the price (I changed my cable to have more length for studio listening and to have less friction), I wanted to continue with this one for my Hifiman.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #63 of 197
Your post isn't aggressive at all, on the contrary it's more interesting because you give your opinion,

Personally, I wasn't trying to give my opinion on anything in the cable quality because it's outside of my expertise area and I'm not even sure I'd hear a big difference between a stock and a higher end cable, I accept thaht.

Why I buy a new cable? Simply because my stock cable isn't working properly with the 3.5 mm plug and as I bought a second hand skyAudioCable for my Ollo Audio S4R that I found to be very well made considering the price (I changed my cable to have more length for studio listening and to have less friction), I wanted to continue with this one for my Hifiman.

This is it.

For me upgraded cables are about quality of materials, quality of construction, handling qualities, and appearance.

I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount of money on that or do it myself. I don't believe cables have sound unless they're defective.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #65 of 197
SkyAudioCables keeps surprising me. Reece has already finished the second cable, despite my silly change of mind midway through, and it should ship on Monday. With a little luck it'll be here on Tuesday, thanks to the expedited TNT shipping. He was kind enough to snap a quick photo of it to satisfy my curiosity, and I can say it's perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. I'm so glad I asked Reece if the colour change was possible, and thank goodness his service was good enough to make it happen.

I had this thing all planned out, that once I get a secondary pair of headphones after the summer, I would get a custom cable for them either from Forza or Null Audio. Now I don't think I can NOT buy it from SkyAudioCables, or justify paying that extra amount buying from those two other companies. Now that I know that I can ask for different connectors and all sorts of extra customization, I don't see why I should buy anywhere else, especially now that most US based companies are a total no-go thanks to USPS.

I'll take better pics myself once it gets here, so Tuesday hopefully! It really does look exactly like what I wanted.

edit: Sleeving colours are black, burgundy, charcoal grey. I specifically asked for a half-sleeved cable.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #67 of 197
My Sky Audio balanced cable for my Audeze LCD-2C headphones arrived from the UK today. Silver coated copper. Not too long a wait (though 8 days in customs seems a tad excessive). Nice looking, I’m happy with the initial construction. Now, it time to let the cable burn in. But right off the bat, I can hear some initial sonic benefits to going with the balanced silver coated copper (and not just volume) as the sound on the Gil Evans & 10 SACD I was listening to before the mailman dropped my package off is more open and the frequency response sounds a bit more even. None of the bass response has diminished, but the mids and highs seem to have stepped up to align themselves closer to the bass. I’m not going to make any hard and fast judgments yet, but on first look and listen I’m pleased with how this Sky Audio cable meshes with my LCD-2C’s.

Attachments

• AB55B5BD-4B7D-4E61-BC41-2DAB12A4C917.jpeg
    AB55B5BD-4B7D-4E61-BC41-2DAB12A4C917.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • C6F92D90-E598-49E5-B4D1-77EBCFB65B35.jpeg
    C6F92D90-E598-49E5-B4D1-77EBCFB65B35.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #68 of 197
Nice looking cable. What brand are the mini XLRs? I don't believe I have seen those before. I like the color much better than silver.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #70 of 197
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #72 of 197
I just received a couple of cables from Sky Audio Cables. One for the Elex and one for the HD 58X/600. These are masterfully made and I am very impressed. The Elex cable especially is a million times better than the heavy and thick stock Focal cable. Here's some pictures of them. The nice red Burgundy color doesn't look nearly as good in these pictures as it does in real life.

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

Also, unfortunately it looks like the eBay shop only has one cable listing up. I don't know if this is a temporary restocking of materials or what, but just wanted to make everyone aware. https://www.ebay.com/usr/skyaudiocables

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a replacement cable for my HD800 since the stock cable broke and stumbled upon this thread. I think I'll go with a Sky Audio cable after reading your opinions in this thread.

The black cable with the gold/blue (?) highlights in the pictures above looks super good, can you please share its "configuration" in the eBay store? I would like to order one that looks exactly like it.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #75 of 197
Giving my Audeze LCD-2C headphones with their new Sky Audio silver plated copper balanced cables a workout with the Mobile Fidelity SACD of Dire Straits second album ”Communique.” I’ve read that silver plated copper wire improved the sound of the LCD-2C’s, so far I have to say that what I’ve read is correct. The silver plating seems to lift the upper end of the frequency spectrum up closer to that of the mids and low end, making for a noticeably more balanced (sorry) sound. The upper mids to treble sound more open, not as muffled. No, it can’t change the LCD-2C’s designed sonic signature, just smooth it out enough to make an already wonderful headphone sound even better. And while the silver plating helps open up the top end, the copper keeps the lows just the way Audeze designed them. I would highly recommend that if you own a pair of LCD-2C’s that you should seriously consider investing in an after market silver plated copper balanced cable to bring out the best in your favorite headphones.

Attachments

• 4895C42F-3AA6-4021-B3E0-86E9C40B5ACF.jpeg
    4895C42F-3AA6-4021-B3E0-86E9C40B5ACF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C3898B29-3FB3-4793-A122-38DA294C1C85.jpeg
    C3898B29-3FB3-4793-A122-38DA294C1C85.jpeg
    793.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back