Skullcandy Mixmaster Mike( Worth it?)
May 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 40

Quote:
Biggest thing is this. Beats and Skullcandy are 'good' for some things. Its the price/sound quality ratio that gets borked here.

They're $300, and sound like $100. That's the problem people have with headphones like Skullcandy and Beats.

I was being sarcastic. Plus, did you ever hear them? the MMMs?

May 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:
Nope. But I feel judging a company by their previous products is valid in this situation.

In this case, I don't think you can.  As many of us know, Skullcandy's products have been OEM, but they've begun strong ODM efforts, and the Aviator and Mix Master Mike are two of their first ODM efforts.

I'll be receiving a production Mix Master Mike soon (not sure exactly when, but soon).  If the pre-production Mix Master Mike that I had here for quite some time was any indication, I think a lot of folks will be surprised.  Giant-killer?  No.  Competitive at its price, in its segment?  Yes.  I'll reserve final judgment for the production version.

May 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
Nope. But I feel judging a company by their previous products is valid in this situation.

I'm willing to bet you haven't heard any products from skullcandy. I've never been a big fan either, but I never make judgements based on biases.

May 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 40
I'd heard the Aviators were a much more solid effort from Skullcandy but I hadn't had a chance to hear them myself. The reason I'm skeptical about the MMM is the fact they're marketed as 'DJ Headphones'. I'm always very iffy on offerings portrayed that way.

I'd love to heard the MMM though if they're that impressive.

Quote:
In this case, I don't think you can.  As many of us know, Skullcandy's products have been OEM, but they've begun strong ODM efforts, and the Aviator and Mix Master Mike are two of their first ODM efforts.

I'll be receiving a production Mix Master Mike soon (not sure exactly when, but soon).  If the pre-production Mix Master Mike that I had here for quite some time was any indication, I think a lot of folks will be surprised.  Giant-killer?  No.  Competitive at its price, in its segment?  Yes.  I'll reserve final judgment for the production version.

You'd lose that bet. I haven't heard the Aviators, but I HAVE herd some of their offerings like the Hesh and Skullcrushers. Those are what I am making my judgements on. Don't just assume I'm talking out of my butt.

Quote:
I'm willing to bet you haven't heard any products from skullcandy. I've never been a big fan either, but I never make judgements based on biases.

May 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:
I'd heard the Aviators were a much more solid effort from Skullcandy but I hadn't had a chance to hear them myself. The reason I'm skeptical about the MMM is the fact they're marketed as 'DJ Headphones'. I'm always very iffy on offerings portrayed that way.

I'd love to heard the MMM though if they're that impressive.

You'd lose that bet. I haven't heard the Aviators, but I HAVE herd some of their offerings like the Hesh and Skullcrushers. Those are what I am making my judgements on. Don't just assume I'm talking out of my butt.

Sorry mate, it just seems like pretty much everyone here is talking out of their butt. I still wouldn't assume product quality based on past products. Look at Hyundai in the 1990s and look at them now.

May 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #22 of 40

I suppose. Sometimes you just have to judge based on previous products though. Some of us don't have the luxury of hearing gear that hasn't been released yet. :D

I'll be more careful next time though.
Quote:
Sorry mate, it just seems like pretty much everyone here is talking out of their butt. I still wouldn't assume product quality based on past products. Look at Hyundai in the 1990s and look at them now.

May 5, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #23 of 40
*thick southern draw* you ain't from 'round these parts are ya?

Quote:
Hey head-fi, my friend wants to get some skullcandy mixmaster mike and I want to ask you guy's opinions to see if it's worth it. 

May 5, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
*thick southern draw* you ain't from 'round these parts are ya?

Actually, at CES, Jude and Tyll gave if a generally positive review. Of course still, I would have you friend listen to some other headphones too, if possible.

May 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #25 of 40
i am a basshead myself,so yeah those could be the best choice if your friend is listening to an ipod or something like that.
If he listens to stuff like BEP, dre, jayz, pop, dance, hardstyle and stuff he probably doesn't care about that gap between some "stylish pro phones" and some real pro phones.
Don't get me wrong, if i were a dj i'd buy them, or the beats. They are cool, they have plenty of bass, of the kind that shakes your head, and they have pretty decent sound.
But for 300$ you can get some more detailed phones and stuff and stuff and stuff.
Ok, i don't know how to write,so i'll tell you this.1 and a half year ago? i would have immediately gone and bought them, but now, i'm starting to "evolve", and my musical tastes are different, so i really don't care that much for the bass.
So, are they worth it?
I'd say yes :)

May 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #26 of 40
Judging from the Aviator, I think skullcandy is doing a decent job of appealing to a more developed taste in sound.  Of what I heard from the Aviator, it was nice and detailed, with a bass that didn't interfere with the mids that much at all.  A bit on the thin side though, with not as much bass as I'd like, but considerably more analytical than the rest of their offerings.

I havn't experienced the infamous skullcrushers for myself yet.  I need to get on that and experience that 20db spike at 90hz and vibrating 'subwoofers'.  I should be blown away!

May 6, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 40
IMO the Aviators were GREAT for being skullcandy and even for the price, the dude at the shot shat the MM were basicly cheeper beats.....soooo yea.

May 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #28 of 40

Quote:
IMO the Aviators were GREAT for being skullcandy and even for the price, the dude at the shot shat the MM were basicly cheeper beats.....soooo yea.

I heard both the Beats and the MMM's at the trade show I was at and neither sounded the same. The beats, to me, were very focused on bass whereas the MMM's were more flat but pronounced if that makes sense. I dont know if it has anything to do with their propriety driver, but the upper bass and midrange was probably the most "snappy" Ive heard on any headphone yet. Sounded great with electronic/house/dub etc. I cant imagine it would sound good on anything else though. Hence why its a DJ headphone, so it makes sense.

On a side note, I heard the aviators too and they werent too bad. Just the materials of it turned me off, but then again Im jaded. That being said, Id feel more comfortable dropping my HD-25's off a 20ft ledge and expecting them to still work as opposed to the aviators.

The rep at the Skullcandy booth was explaining how their original focus was the cheap replacement ear buds and headphones for iPhone users. However, they have recently seen the need to go upmarket and they are attempting to do so with the aviators and mmm's. However, Monster, started with the Beats and have decided to go downmarket attacking what Skullcandy was all about before.

I think SC has a good shot at actually producing genuine stuff within the next 5 years. Like someone else said, Hyundai wasnt respected 10 years ago, but now they make great cars. Even Toyota and Honda were laughed at in the 70's when they tried to make a name for themselves here.

May 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #29 of 40
I took a chance with the Aviators and wasn't disappointed and I'd definitely check out the Mixmaster Mikes when I get the chance. I think Skullcandy is really attempting to change their game.

May 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #30 of 40
Honestly if they really want to capture this crowd's interest they need to drop their flashy plasticky design for starters, I know they got lifetime warranty but don't wanna keep switching a pair every1 2nd month due to headband snapped into half http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XvNufB9RIA

Pads are something that Skullcandy does relatively well tho, these pads look quite nice, the pads themselves looks so much better than the rest of the headphones unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back