Skullcandy is funny.
Jan 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #92 of 105
They look like they have good sound isolation, if nothing else. As usual though, pop culture brands like these tend to overprice themselves. Not that Sennheiser and other brands aren't utilizing their brand name either, but at least with them you know you've got something built to last.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #93 of 105
Pioneer Se50s much?

pioneer%20headphones%202.JPG

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #94 of 105
This is what I don't understand about these headphones. They look fake, the craftsmanship looks old and falling appart, and its not skullcandys style, they always go for the style before sound. Which is why they are popular..

These things are mammoths and look horrible, not what skullcandy is..

I guess they are not fake but seriously.. really if they are going for $150 and they have compareable sound to high end headphones, why not..?

The Aviator headphones that have been seen at CES, look very very boring.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #95 of 105
I was going to say that they look like some vintage pioneer, but MrGreen beat me.
Any way these SC headphones are very interesting.
Is anyone willing to bite the bullet and give us a review when they becomre available?

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #99 of 105
Very old school Pioneer like headphones indeed. If they are good they still won't be worth my money. For 150 dollars I can buy two MDR V6-es or a DT250 or at least two good headphone amplifiers. I won't continue my list of possiblities for threads on Skull Candies tend to become silly on Head-Fi. If I want silly Monty Python is still the best for me, not some weird Guinness Book of Records styled full size headphones which look like Pioneer copies.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #100 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very old school Pioneer like headphones indeed. If they are good they still won't be worth my money. For 150 dollars I can buy two MDR V6-es or a DT250 or at least two good headphone amplifiers. I won't continue my list of possiblities for threads on Skull Candies tend to become silly on Head-Fi. If I want silly Monty Python is still the best for me, not some weird Guinness Book of Records styled full size headphones which look like Pioneer copies.

Monty python, ahhh now thats worth talking about
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #102 of 105

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, this is looking more like a lynching than a discussion. Elitism is one thing, this is just ignorance. The responsible head-fi'er judges with his ears. How many of you have heard the headphone in question? If there was one, I would be in shock.

Feel free to purchase a pair and share your opinion of them, but Skullcandy makes low grade products and I can't say I have any respect for a company that writes "These little cholos pack a thumpin' bass" on their product boxes. The company I work for owns a manufacturing company named Dynex and the products that they make are known for being very basic. When they pump out a new model of television, it is expected that it will be low grade compared to competitors and you would be laughed out of a videophile forum for mention that brand; this is the same with Skullcandy here. Model after model, more and more low-fi headphones that boast superior quality.

If Skullcandy suddenly consumed a headphone competitor or even just brought on new sound engineers to reinvent their technology, then that might make this release notable, but that's not the case here.

Sherwood, I believe Panasonic also had a similar model with deep cups and individual volume controls for each driver.

Hey, I have a Dynex
ph34r.gif

But for $200, it was a 24" tv, and thats enough to make me happy in my dorm.  I completely understand the comparison though.

Same goes for skullcandy, honestly, I wouldn't be buying another headphone if my skullcandy lowrider's were anywhere near comfortable, I'd stick with them for portable and my Grado's for home-use. Their stuff is decent(ish) compaired to the rest of the consumer market. Yes it's distorted a bit, yes it's flashy, but it's 10x better than ibuds. Are there better things to spend $150 on as far as headphones? Does that mean we need to constantly hate on them? no. In the end, its all just stuff. stuff that doesn't matter in the end. Stuff that we prefer over other stuff because we like the way it plays music (both an art and a consumer product) into our ears. If they like their stuff, they can have their stuff too.

As far as dual- cones goes, the Phiaton PS320 has a woofer and tweeter in each ear as well.

Besides, now you Dennon fan's won't be the only ones walking around in public with monkey ears
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #104 of 105
http://isound.com/hp-600-headphones/

These have SIX drivers in them but are smaller than the skullcandy and pioneer ones.

These have two 40mm drivers and four 15mm drivers in them and specifically target audiophiles (as they clearly state, obviously).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back