Skullcandies that are actually good?
Jun 12, 2011 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ytisawfulnow

100+ Head-Fier
95% of us dislike Skullcandy and consider their products to be poor quality but let's be perfectly honest. There has to be one good pair of Skullcandy headphones out there?

I'll start by saying the Lowriders aren't bad.

They are far from perfect and have some noticeable flaws, For example: They leak a lot, aren't noise cancelling, a bit lacking in bass and not very comfortable. But overall i'd say they're a decent pair of cans and quite good by SK standards.

I've also heard very positive things about the Aviators even though i've never tried them out for myself (Would like to some day)

Discuss...

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 30
I've owned 3 pairs of Skullcandies. Smokin Buds and Full Metal iems and a pair of Hesh cans. All 3 of them were broken after 3 months of purchase. They just fell apart so easily, some of the worst craftmanship I've ever seen. I don't know how you can see them as anything but cheap gauded up materials thrown together with very little thought gone towards actual sound.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 30
I've tested all the skullcandies I could find at both Bestbuy and everywhere else, and i have to say:

Horrible!

No mids at all
Bass fells like either a shot in your crotch or a ear piercing whine
High sound like someone scraping a cat down a chalkboard

For all that is holy stay away. If you don't have much money to spend, go get anything from the Koss line of headphones, they'll serve you right.

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 30
I used to own a pair of Smokin' Buds and they were not bad at all. The sound was pretty good, bass was a little overwhelming and the highs were rolled off, but definitely a few steps above iBuds. After going on here and reading about all these people bashing Skullcandy I bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-300, which were $25. I expected to be blown away but in all honestly they weren't that good... sound was on par with the much cheaper Skullcandys. I mean like, yeah they broke after about half a year but they only cost $9.

But yeah, anything past the Smokin' Buds and the quality:price ratio starts to drop... I bought a pair of Lowriders for $40 and they sounded like poo. Also, the plastic used felt like the same type that you would find in toys at a dollar store in Chinatown. They also had these weird eagle graphics on the sides... I returned them the next day.

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
I used to own a pair of Smokin' Buds and they were not bad at all. The sound was pretty good, bass was a little overwhelming and the highs were rolled off, but definitely a few steps above iBuds. After going on here and reading about all these people bashing Skullcandy I bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-300, which were $25. I expected to be blown away but in all honestly they weren't that good... sound was on par with the much cheaper Skullcandys. I mean like, yeah they broke after about half a year but they only cost $9.

But yeah, anything past the Smokin' Buds and the quality:price ratio starts to drop... I bought a pair of Lowriders for $40 and they sounded like poo. Also, the plastic used felt like the same type that you would find in toys at a dollar store in Chinatown. They also had these weird eagle graphics on the sides... I returned them the next day.

believe it or not but i miss mine. they were really good to me. very clear and smooth. but i don't know if that would still stand today considering what i have now.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 30
Lowriders are absolutely terrible. In the pictures they dont seem to bad but you have to hold them to see how cheap and flimsy they are.

The Aviators arent that bad and actually are very comfortable. They are kinda plastic-y which concerns me especially where you slide the cup up and down the band. The audio quality is actually pretty decent for a Skullcandy but you could do a lot better for the same price.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 30
I felt that the Aviators were a fair bit overpriced with my limited audition. Vocals were incredibly harsh, bass lacked detail, treble was detailed, and I felt it was smooth, which many people may disagree on. I only heard harsh treble. Everything else in the treble are was a bit away from harsh. Soundstage was enclosed, and timbre was actually okay. If I found a pair for $80, I see no reason not to get it. It's a decent portable headphone in itself--I like them much more than the Fanny Wangs-- but when comparing it to full sized headphones, it loses out to most.

And I have a pair of Smokin' Buds. I like them as a beater pair to pass around. They have acceptable sound, and are surprisingly durable.

Jun 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 30
why does this thread exist. 

Who cares if they sound decent or they don't, you can get plenty of better sounding headphones made by companies that have much more honest marketing and don't pollute our airwaves or TV or schools etc with propaganda.  So who cares, buy headphones made by companies that sell headphones, not earmuffs.  Or stop posting on a headphone HIFI forum.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 30
No offense, but if you feel the low-riders sound good then perhaps Mr. Rythmdevils is right.  If you're serious about this hobby, then Skullcandy is one of the LAST brands you should be looking at.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
why does this thread exist. 

Who cares if they sound decent or they don't, you can get plenty of better sounding headphones made by companies that have much more honest marketing and don't pollute our airwaves or TV or schools etc with propaganda.  So who cares, buy headphones made by companies that sell headphones, not earmuffs.  Or stop posting on a headphone HIFI forum.

If they actually sounded decent people would care. It seems to me you're just a type of person who wouldn't buy Skullcandy no matter how good they sound.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 30
I bought a pair of Hello Kitty headphones once just for the looks, I never used them i just like them in my collection, Because their Pink.

Nat 
o2smile.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 30
I've had the lowriders and at first listen it's pretty clear that they're more about style than sound. They sounded no different than my JVC marshmallows, they had no bass and everything was pretty muddy. You won't find clarity when listening to the lowriders that's for sure. The swivel design and cord were also pretty flimsy and I returned them after a week. 

I've never tried the aviators so I can't say anything other than they look cool, especially the brown and white ones. 

When I see people wearing skullcandies, I wonder what they would think if they listened to higher end phones in a blind test, wound they be able to tell the difference? 

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 30

True but i have HD650's and we have HD800 and PS1000S in the house also, Their just nice because i love Hello Kitty 
tongue.gif
 I plan to get Custom IEMs made in the future with Kirby on one of the side and Hello kitty on the other side 
ksc75smile.gif
, As i say i don't listen to them i don't even use my HD555's anymore, Unless going some where for afew days.

Natty. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I bought a pair of Hello Kitty headphones once just for the looks, I never used them i just like them in my collection, Because their Pink.

Nat 
o2smile.gif

That's like a kid getting cammo buds. A novelty maybe but not quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back