Skeptico Saloon: An Objectivist Joint
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #406 of 1,671
Interesting to know about downmixing. That being said, what does the downmixing? The DAC, or the software playing the music?

Generally, DAC's don't do any down-mixing. Some media player software like JRiver Media Center will down-mix multi-channel to 2 channel, but it's literally just combining/mixing the other channels into the left and right channels.

My software also "converts" 5.1 or 7.1 down to two channels, but unlike a straight mix, my software makes it sound like you are really listening to 6 or 8 speakers in a room to give you the full 5.1 or 7.1 surround experience. I think it's a great way to experience 5.1 or 7.1 without having to use an actual home theater speaker setup. Then you can try those multi-channel samples that you posted a link to earlier and hear them as  5.1 rather than just the L and R channels. Of course there's movies too even if you don't like multi-channel music.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #407 of 1,671
Does anyone have the link to the study where they EQed different headphones to sound like each other and asked listeners to grade their sound quality? The result being that when frequency responses were made similar sound quality became similar as well?
That's called RAA:
Reference audio analisys.

Human ears are "emulated" using pro level equipment for studies.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #408 of 1,671
Anyone still feel like posting here after the Dalai Lama from hell ran over this place? :deadhorse:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #409 of 1,671
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #411 of 1,671

Why is it that people claim that listening to planar magnetic headphones from speaker taps magically transforms the sound quality? I don't even know what speaker taps are. >_>

Speaker taps are the outputs of a speaker power amp. Basically, the part of a speaker amp you usually connect speakers to, you connect a headphone to.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #413 of 1,671
Anyone still feel like posting here after the Dalai Lama from hell ran over this place?
deadhorse.gif

Did he just disappear, or is he still at it in another thread?

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #414 of 1,671
Judging by the "banned" under his name I doubt that.

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #415 of 1,671
  Judging by the "banned" under his name I doubt that.

That was my thought right after posting, but I had Thanksgiving things to do so I forgot to check.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #416 of 1,671

[rule]
Why is it that people claim that listening to planar magnetic headphones from speaker taps magically transforms the sound quality? I don't even know what speaker taps are. >_>

Speaker taps are the outputs of a speaker power amp. Basically, the part of a speaker amp you usually connect speakers to, you connect a headphone to.

Ah, mmk.
Still, I see people saying headphones "transform" when hooked up to speaker taps.

Perhaps the extra power "fus ro dah'd" their eardrums.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGDhGsYoSA[/video]

Nice! I didn't know binaural beats were considered an auditory illusion.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #417 of 1,671
Ah, mmk.
Still, I see people saying headphones "transform" when hooked up to speaker taps.

I noticed a pretty decent difference when I tried my speaker amp, but that's partially because my current headphone amp doesn't meet even half Audeze's 1w into 60 ohm minimum.

And it wouldn't be Head-Fi without hyperbole. Though if the Mini-X performs like my speaker amp, it's an excellent option for the price.

EDIT: Confused two thoughts and smashed them together into one sentence. Fixed.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #418 of 1,671
Without precise level matching you cannot compare two amps. The louder one, which is presumably the power amp, will always be perceived as better sounding.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #419 of 1,671
I did quite a lot of fiddling with the volume, high, low, and medium volume listening over the course of a couple days and each result was the same. It isn't foolproof, but the chances of me setting the speaker amp louder each time for at least a dozen testing periods with different volume tests within each testing period is small enough for me to consider my personal preference to be the speaker amp.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #420 of 1,671
A better comparison would be actually measuring the volume to be equal and switching back and forth between the amps.

Well the next questions would be why do they sound different (or sound at all) and how (technically).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back