Size of music library
Feb 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #61 of 123
Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't vinyl have slightly chopped off highs and lows which creates a sound many people like?

Viny is a full frequency range format. The reason it often sounds better than CDs has more to do with the quality of engineering and mastering back in the LP era than it does technical capabilities of the format.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #63 of 123
I have 1tb that I back up containing a lot of flac files

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #64 of 123
Quote:
I'm from Finland, and I know a ton of great Finnish musicians that people outside of Finland don't generally know about (not talking about the more famous acts like HIM, Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Sibelius etc), and thanks to the internet I've also found many great musicians from Sweden, UK, Germany, Japan, Korea, France, Ireland, Russia, just to name a few. All this music would be pretty much unreachable through traditional means, but thanks to the internet it's now actually easier to get to than the demo CD's your local rock band hands out for free after pub gigs.

Amen to that. It's easier now to find music outside my country's borders than it ever has in the history of recorded music. As an American, I appreciate that, too. My own listening habits have always been eclectic, and it's always a treat to hear something new that I've never heard before.

My household's music archive (all lossless ALAC files on a central server, all ripped from CDs we still own and have stored away) has about 18,500 songs, representing somewhere around 1,500 disks. This represents two people's CD collections, though, and disks continue popping up now and again, needing to be ripped - I've got a stack of about two dozen in the waiting queue on my desk.

My vinyl collection only got up to around 150 albums by the time I stopped listening to them. I don't think I had more than 200 CDs until the mid-1990s. A couple years ago I gave all the LPs away when a lot of them got water damaged. It was easier to do that than try to sort through for the valuable stuff to restore - it would have been just too heartbreaking. So stuff that's rare as hen's teeth I'm only ever going to see again if some fan posts a high-quality digitized bootleg somewhere.

Some of the reissues going on of ultra-obscuro 1960s, 70s, and 80s music is great, though. There's always been a lot of great music, and there's a bunch of people who've given themselves the task of reviving the best of the past, no matter how unknown, and they're scary-committed to their mission. This gives me hope.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #65 of 123
Hey Now,

I still have a about 200 albums stored somewhere (no turntable right now), ~500 CDs, ~500 DVDs (movies), ~10,680 tracks (mostly ALAC; ~270GB), and a few hundred 90 minute cassettes dating back to 1975. All the tapes are bootleg concerts/live shows of the Grateful Dead and lots of various artists. My oldest is of Elvis Presley in 1956 at the Frontier Hotel. I have the full performances of many bands at Woodstock. Lots of these bootlegs are now available on CD, but I was listening to them back in the 70s. It was fun listening through the hiss and marginal recordings back then, it was all we had 8^). But now I do love the clarity and musicality of my current set ups. It is fun collecting music and listening to all kinds of genres.

We traded old tapes and recordings, we recorded the concerts we attended, now you can go to archive.org, Wolfgang's Vault, daytrotter.com, etc. and have access to a boatload of recordings. It is a wonderful time for music lovers now.

--
Finest kind,
Chris 

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #66 of 123
i own about 5,500 CDs.
most of which have been digitized to an external hard drive.

since getting into this hobby, it's been sad to discover that about 75% of my collection does hold up to audiophile scrutiny.
which is why my rock collection has remained stagnant, and my jazz collection house sprouted...

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #67 of 123
nice. A self bump I do declare

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #69 of 123
I have 712 songs and about 50 CDs, nothing compared to most collections here, but I'm only 17 and I started collecting about 2 years ago. Also about 80% of my collection isn't what you would consider audiophile, Its mostly black metal. I'm starting to collect more audiophile stuff though like SRV and Infected Mushroom.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #70 of 123
I wouldn't consider any music audiophile. right?

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #71 of 123

Quote:

I wouldn't, the music you listen to shouldn't have any bearing on audiophillic tendencies, unless you're listening to music which can't be reproduced accurately and that's a whole other debate.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #72 of 123
precisely.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #73 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

since getting into this hobby, it's been sad to discover that about 75% of my collection does hold up to audiophile scrutiny.
which is why my rock collection has remained stagnant, and my jazz collection house sprouted...

I don't know if I'd call it sad. Maybe it's more like you're finally able to hear what the jazzbos have been on about all this time. Acoustic music probably benefits the most from a high-end setup simply because it can't easily get the standard rock and pop production treatment, at least not without losing what makes it acoustic music. So while popular music is designed to still sound energetic and involving over FM radio or a low-bitrate MP3, a jazz trio or string quartet will sound quiet and flat and closed-in until it's played on something that can bring out the space and detail. Conversely, on a good system, the acoustic music sounds the most natural and involving, while the pop music will sound noisy and relentless.

Although in my case, since I've already had a fondness for jazz and acoustic music that goes back a few decades, what's really become my "oh, I get it now!" music are 90s-era techno and hip-hop. Outside of some IDM, I never got the point to most electronica until I had a setup that brought the bass, detail and dynamics. They're still not my favorite style of music, but I'm listening to them for pleasure, instead of just to fill space in the workday or because I'm humoring a friend who wants me to hear something.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #74 of 123

Quote:

What I meant wasn't that my genres are not Audiophile like, its that the bands I like have terrible recording quality, and they do it on purpose,(Burzum asks for the worst equiptment available when recording), but I like that raw sound.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #75 of 123
There are audiophile recordings in most genres and non-audiophile recordings in all genres.  I personally don't consider myself an audiophile and wouldn't want to own a top tier system.  There's too much music that is unlistenable on top tier systems and I'd rather listen to the music than the equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back