Size of music library
Feb 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 123

Melvins

Fake trader feedback from duplicate account: Frankzappa92.
Aka: Melvins92
BAD TRADER
I used to have an external 1TB harddrive but sadly that broke, and I've yet to get the Warranty replacement. That HD contained around 40K songs, filling about 200 GB of music. Movie wise I had around 50 full lengths, a few television series (all of the Sopranos and It's always sunny). Currently I have around 10K on my macbook, filling 70 GB. My ipod class 120 GB is completely full and I haven't transferred anything off/on to it since my HD broke. That has 22,560 songs. So mixed with what is on my macbook that reaches around 32K songs. This ranges from frank sinatra, to Genesis, to Biggy Smalls, to Harvey Milk, to Clutch, to Butthole Surfers, to The Flaming Lips, to everything in between. What about you guys? All this discussion on what we use to LISTEN to our music but very little discussion of the actual music itself.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 123
I have a few hundred CD's, mostly 90's alt/grunge. All of it was burnt though and placed on my ipod for conveinance.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 123
I do two collections: a digital collection and a vinyl collection

My digital collection is a little over 100,000 songs.  When you get over 50,000 songs, it kinda becomes pointless to talk about what genres it covers, because it more or less covers everything, genre wise.  These are on a 2.5 TB HD, that I backup regularly.  

I then have about 200 vinyl LP's, which comprise every album I've ever rated over a 90 (out of 100) that I could get my hands on a vinyl copy.

The digital collection is for parties, casual listening and new music discovery.  I have a series of airplay enabled speaker setups throughout the house that I can beam this collection through, so it can follow me around, and its awesome for parties.  

My vinyl collection is for getting lost in my all time favorites.  I only listen to it in one room, in one chair.  

To me the vinyl thing isn't even as much about the sound quality, because outside of the random noise you pick up from vinyl, I can't hear the difference (and I've never met anyone that can pass DBT on vinyl v. > 320 kbps mp3, when you add in random vinyl type noise, but that's a flame war I don't want to start).  It's about the whole experience of vinyl.  It's about more or less committing yourself to listening to the album in its entirety, the ritual of putting it on, the care it takes to maintain a vinyl setup.  It's about the large album pictures and the big physical disk.  

In addition, I probably have around 800 or so CD's that stay in boxes, unless I have a friend who wants them, in which case I'll usually give it away.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 123
dang man, 100K songs? My external WD kept breaking for no reason, I just got fed up with it to be honest. I literally had one for a week and it stopped connecting with my mac

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 123
I've been really lucky, over the years I've probably had 15 external HD's and never had a single problem with any of them, I only ever upgraded for size and speed reasons.

Yes, my music collection is absurd.  One time we went to my girlfriend's parents' house for a week and I took it with me.  She said "it's crazy to me that I'm holding the most valuable thing either of us own and it's this little black box with an on off switch and that's it."

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 123
haha oh damn man. Which brand are you currently using? How long does it take you to back up all those files?

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 123
About 15,000 records, 10,000 CDs, five digital libraries by type of music with over a year's worth of music in total. Three drobos with four 1.5 tb drives in each full of movies.

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 123
Drobos?

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 123
LOL, no one will top Big Shot.  I just filled a 1.5 TB hard drive so copied everything over to a 2 TB drive.  I have around 400 LPs.  Unfortunately, many years ago, after repeated urging from my wife, I got rid of 400 other LPs.  At the time, I didn't have anything to play them on.  I regret not having quite a few of them.

Quote:
Melvins said:

Google is your friend http://www.drobo.com/

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 123
I am 15 so I only have a modest 37 gigs. 88 artists, probably twice as many albums, and nearly 2,400 songs. Most of this has been downloaded between July of last year and now, when I started visiting this site regularly. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 123
seems fitting.. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 123
wow thanks for that, a great watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back