Size of music library
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #31 of 123
scott, you carry around your little dot?
blink.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #33 of 123
ipod classic 7th gen 160gb apple lossless > little dot 1+ > Grado sr325is

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #35 of 123
i have my ipod classic connected to my little dot

i guess i always thought that "ipod classic 7th gen 160gb apple lossless" was understood to mean ipod classic using apple lossless. or something like that.......... 
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #37 of 123

Quote:
I have an extremely modest music collection, at a pitiful 3.5GB, and a total of 500 songs, but I am quite picky about my music, so that pretty much explains it.

That's not picky, that's not liking music.  I have more than 500 songs by several bands/artists.  That isn't to say that I think number of songs is impressive or anything, but I can't even fathom limiting myself to just listening to 500 songs.  

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #39 of 123

Quote:
Quote:
I have an extremely modest music collection, at a pitiful 3.5GB, and a total of 500 songs, but I am quite picky about my music, so that pretty much explains it.

That's not picky, that's not liking music.  I have more than 500 songs by several bands/artists.  That isn't to say that I think number of songs is impressive or anything, but I can't even fathom limiting myself to just listening to 500 songs.  

ALthough I agree with you, this statement does sound a bit pompous. Seriously though, I constantly find albums/artists that I used to have on some ol' ipod that I add to my library. That's why I love last.fm. It really does a sufficient job of measuring the reach of your musical tastes. I would go bat crap if I could only listen to 500 songs. There really isn't a good reason for you to be on this site if your using 100 hundred dollar headphones to listen to the same songs over and over and over again.

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #40 of 123
Lord knows how many Melvins/Butthole surfers songs I have. I have like 10 live recordings of each band..
deadhorse.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #42 of 123
My collection is under 2000 albums. I'd guess that I have 1300-1400 cds and ~300 Lps. Honestly I feel guilty about it. It's far too large and I don't have the time to actually appreciate all of it. If all I did was sleep and listen to music it would probably take me somewhere around six months to listen to it all. It's pretty clear that I have items that will never be listened to more than a few times in my entire life time. That seems like a waste. Of course I have other items that I've listened to hundreds of times and cherish deeply. My rationalization for keeping a collection this size and acquiring new pieces is... how will I discover new things to cherish without having access to a large quantity of music.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #43 of 123
I don't think you guys have a right to pick on my modest 500 song collection (which is actually 600 after adding some Infected Mushroom). I don't think there is anything wrong with being picky about music. When I listen to music, I use it as a very emotional experience, and most songs just don't sound right to me. I have specific preferences about singers, I am preferential about different types of voices, I don't like when guitars are using certain effects, and I don't like when drummers use certain styles. I would also say that I don't spend much time discovering new music, as I almost never just hit download on an entire album, and I tend to listen to each song for at least a minute before I download it. I would also like to say that I have evolving musical tastes, and if you total every song I have ever downloaded, it probably tops 2,000, but since I am only 16, I have gone through many different eras of musical taste, but I think I am settling down into metalcore and a lot of house techno/trance.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #44 of 123
I've got my CD's, c-cassettes and LP's -- no idea how many of each, as I rarely use them any more (I don't have the space for them in my aparment, so my dad is keeping them for now). But my digital music library is somewhere over 400gb's at the moment. About 80000 songs or so, plus 65gb's / ~1400 music videos.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #45 of 123
At 16, I would have been thrilled to have 500 songs. At that age, I had four or five albums and a couple of singles I played over and over. I didn't get serious about listening to music and record collecting until college, and at that point my tastes did a 180 degree turnaround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back