Sixteen year old girl wants first good pair of headphones
Nov 27, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 44
Ath-es7
smily_headphones1.gif
If you get them bend the metal struts so they don't look so goofy. Theres a guide around here somewhere...

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, the beyer is pretty open despite being technically closed.

But far less open than the grados he's considering
biggrin.gif

I do like them far too much for what they cost.

Yea I always thought of them as highly underrated cans
biggrin.gif
and they sound allot bigger then there price tag would suggest. I just wanted to make sure the OP was aware they are definitely not subway/car listening cans.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad about the senns breaking. I heard them and they were warm and a bit veiled (as with almost every Senn I've ever heard
biggrin.gif
, but not bad for the money especially if you're listening to less than ideal sources. Never had a pair long term enough to break them though (although now that you mention it I did break a headband on a 580
frown.gif
- ironically I've never had a problem with a Grado or any other brand).

If you're after some style the first ATH is probably tough to beat.

Yea I haven't had any problems with any other cans, well except for the silver lettering wearing off my Grado's but from what I read that's pretty common. I'm not sure why the Senns broke they don't get allot of usage, and I treat my stuff very gently.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #19 of 44
why not Etymotic ER6I, it is designed for ipod, and it is really easily to be driven with a low impedance. and it has best noise isolation (at least in my situation). give it a shot, it's only $70 on ebay.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by haoqfu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not Etymotic ER6I, it is designed for ipod, and it is really easily to be driven with a low impedance. and it has best noise isolation (at least in my situation). give it a shot, it's only $70 on ebay.

The OP is not looking for IEM's...only closed phones (regardless of which style) and possibly some open phones for home.

I'll say that the HD280 are excellent at canceling out ambient sound...and sound fairly good (especially for that deal going on right now on newegg). However, they do clamp like the dickens...so they may only be of use during short trips.

Based on reviews of head-fi (and please, do your own search) the AT-ES7's are regarded fairly for both their look and their sound for the rock genre. Just an FYI

For the open phones...SR60's are an excellent "newbie" pair. Be careful, however...she may become inflicted by the dreaded "up-grade-itis".

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #21 of 44
Thanks everyone, I'll start checking out some of the other contenders.

First, she will not be driving, thankfully, we have not had to deal with that yet.

When I was a teenager I had a great set of Stax headphones, it was only when I got back into audio a few years ago, single driver speakers and tubes/SET, that I realized how important those headphones were to revealing the music.

So I want to get her the right headphones. I have a little time. No in-ear phones, she doesn't like them very much. She also doesn't like the sound of my records, so if I err on the analytical side it might be OK.

I may just have to bite the bullet on noise canceling headphones, whether it is more marketing than real, she is expecting something - so if it doesn't deliver - at least I bought the right thing. Since she is sixteen "reasoning" only goes so far.

Gregg

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #23 of 44
The Beyer DT231 sound the same as HD25 when they are both out of the box, but with 100-150 hours of burn-in the HD25 pass the Beyer and leave them behind.

The Beyer are still nice, but the HD25 are superior sound quality and sound isolation vs the Beyer.

The Grado are nice, but they are uglier than the HD25 in the eyes of her friends - the iGrado may pass muster, and they sound snazzy too, but don't isolate either.

The Bose OE supra-aural actually (1) sound decent, gasp, to teenagers and wives, (2) block a decent amount of sound passively (not quiet as much as HD25 blocks), (3) are more comortable than the grado, and (4) look better than all of them. They sell for about the same as the HD25, but one is an audiophile can and one is a can for fun listening. We have a set, and have toyed with the idea of selling, but can't part with them yet for some strange reason (well, maybe if someone had $125 wagging in my face...)

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 44
I think the ES7 might be best way to go. Looks nice. Or if you love your daughter, get her something with wood on it
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdeering /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I may just have to bite the bullet on noise canceling headphones, whether it is more marketing than real, she is expecting something - so if it doesn't deliver - at least I bought the right thing. Since she is sixteen "reasoning" only goes so far.

Gregg

It's a shame it has to come down to labels, just because it's a fad item and has superior marketing behind it doesn't make it the best sounding can.

I'm not sure where you live and what you have access to in the market place, but I would suggest having her listen to a few different cans so she can determine what she likes regardless of the brand hype. I know Headroom, has a pretty easy exchange/refund policy if you happen to purchase something online from them and she doesn't like them.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

... I realized how important those headphones were to revealing the music...

I had Sennheiser PXC250 and liked them a lot, though they are not "revealing". They sound good even in NC mode. They are also small and I believe this is good for typically small girls ears. They look nice also.

If you are willing to buy more expensive phones and you do not like Bose, get Sennheiser PXC450. Many think that they are better then Bose, check review at ilounge.com for example. I did not listen them, but they seem to be ultimate headphone for both NC and audiophille needs.

PXC450 are VERY expensive though. For less money you may buy both PXC250 (PXC150?) for portable and some revealing headphone for home use, like HD280 or SR60.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea I always thought of them as highly underrated cans...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyer DT231 sound the same as HD25 when they are both out of the box, but with 100-150 hours of burn-in the HD25 pass the Beyer and leave them behind.

The Beyer are still nice, but the HD25 are superior sound quality and sound isolation vs the Beyer.

I'm really surprised to see such opinions. I found the DT231 mediocre at best and comfortably behind even a KSC-75. And I tend to like the Beyer sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD-280pros would also be nice. Plus, they fold in for transport.

They're also gigantic. I can't imagine a teenage girl wanting to wear them in public.

Quote:

I may just have to bite the bullet on noise canceling headphones, whether it is more marketing than real, she is expecting something - so if it doesn't deliver - at least I bought the right thing.

What a sad result that would be on a forum like this. Don't do it! Your old Stax will roll over in their grave, or if still in existence may explode into flames from indignation.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 44
I would advise against sealed phones in a car for the driver.

Nov 27, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozncore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was always under the impression that it was

Handsfree phone kits are legal afaik, so i can't see why headphones would be illegal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back