Six-Way Review: Square Wave, GS-1, CanAmp, EC/SS, Gilmore Lite, Black Cube Linear
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be interesting to hear whatever Justin creates as a replacement for those Dynalo modules in the GS-1.

Has there been any recent news the new modules?

Dec 28, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #32 of 44
Justin announced his new module beta testing in the spring of 2006, and it appears that he's waiting for parts. I'm not sure if anybody else has listened to the new modules yet.

Dec 29, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #33 of 44
Hi Asr,

Thanks for putting together such a thorough comparison. I'm wondering why you didn't include the K501s as good complements to the GS-1 and Gilmore Lite, while the K701s made those lists. I'm researching to buy a first amp to pair with my first real headphones (K501s), and I'll probably find your reasoning useful in my search. If it helps at all, I'm listening to jazz (real jazz not Kenny G
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks,

Tom

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #34 of 44
The K701 has fuller and more extended bass than the K501, and less sharper treble, which makes it more rounded and more complementary with a solid-state amp. I recommend tube amps for the K701 over solid-state though and likewise for the K501. A tube amp would fill out its mid-range and bass more. My Cayin HA-1A amp was a far better match for the K501 than either of the HeadAmp amps for example.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #36 of 44
ASR,
I noticed in your top products of 2007 thread that you now hold the ec/ss as the best under 1000 dollar amp for audio technicas. Did I misread something? Or do you now prefer the ec/ss to the gs1 for the ad2000s?

I also noticed in this thread that the ad2000 is listed to synergize with the gilmore lite but not with the gs1 at the beginning of the review. Is there a better synergy with ad2k/lite vs the ad2k/gs1?

About the Gilmore Lite, Does anyone know how big a difference the sound is with the stock version and the upgraded power supply edition? Also, where can I get a 220 volt ELPAC if I decide to get the stock gilmore lite?

Jan 3, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ASR,
I noticed in your top products of 2007 thread that you now hold the ec/ss as the best under 1000 dollar amp for audio technicas. Did I misread something? Or do you now prefer the ec/ss to the gs1 for the ad2000s?

I also noticed in this thread that the ad2000 is listed to synergize with the gilmore lite but not with the gs1 at the beginning of the review. Is there a better synergy with ad2k/lite vs the ad2k/gs1?

About the Gilmore Lite, Does anyone know how big a difference the sound is with the stock version and the upgraded power supply edition? Also, where can I get a 220 volt ELPAC if I decide to get the stock gilmore lite?

Well while the EC/SS may be technically matched well with most Audio-Technica headphones, I wouldn't say it's ideal for all of them, especially since the upper-end ones have very unique sound signatures that will respond only to the right amp.

Well I preferred the AD2000 on the Gilmore Lite compared to the GS-1, as its (minor) sonic colorations made it sound more musical (more treble sparkle, more forward mid-range, harder-hitting bass). But the GS-1 would be a fine pairing too, if you don't care about adding those qualities.

I wrote a review of the Elpac vs the DPS here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/com...-elpac-225178/

Jan 3, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #38 of 44
Thanks ASR,
Just wondering if youve heard the headfive or arrieta(since its supposedly close in sound to the h5) yet and if you could comment on them for the ad2000. I'm wondering If the next step should be a source upgrade or changing my amp to the gilmore lite would be the first correct choice for my ad2000s. My sources are my laptop/ipod and a basic pioneer dvd player right now.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #40 of 44
Thanks for a great comparative write up of many of the popular SS amps. It was a great read! I know it is impossible to include everything that everybody wants compared, but it would be interesting to see how the "Original Master", and perhaps one of the Ray Samuels offerings might stack up to the rest.

- augustwest

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #41 of 44
I just updated the review to reflect the new prices of the HeadAmp GS-1 ($849) and Gilmore Lite ($579). The new prices of these amps as of 2/3/08 does not affect my opinion of their positions in the rankings.

Actually with now a greater price gap between the Gilmore Lite and GS-1, my recommendation of the GS-1 over the Gilmore Lite increases.

I also fully expect my StereoMojo review of the EC/SS to be up sometime this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aptom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review. I'm interested in GS1 for my K701 and HD650. How is Graham SOLO campare to those amps?

I haven't heard the Graham Slee Solo, and I don't expect to receive a review sample anytime either, as I'm really not interested in that amp personally and I don't feel the 2008 model is worth reviewing due to its new power supply method and the lack of manufacturer push on marketing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ASR,
Just wondering if youve heard the headfive or arrieta(since its supposedly close in sound to the h5) yet and if you could comment on them for the ad2000. I'm wondering If the next step should be a source upgrade or changing my amp to the gilmore lite would be the first correct choice for my ad2000s. My sources are my laptop/ipod and a basic pioneer dvd player right now.

No, I haven't heard any of the Meier Audio products yet, but I expect to that change sometime this year.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 amplifier sound compared to the Gilmore Lite w/ K701 and HD650?

If you have experience with both, please advise.

I have no experience with that amp, but seeing as it's a hybrid amp, it should sound fairly different than the Gilmore Lite. My standard recommendation for the K701 is to use it with a tube or hybrid amp. HD650, well not so much, though there are many Head-Fiers who do use it with a tube amp anyway.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #42 of 44
Asr,

Pretty nice write up. I believe Mikhail is thinking of revising the volume pot on the Squarewave and build a dedicate PSU. According to him, this should be quite a bit of improvement. I believe that the Squarewave that you reviewed was the original version and since then Mikhail had reworked several things. I am not exactly sure if the Squarewave is a finishe product or not.

Quote:

Singlepower Square Wave, $999 (or less) from Singlepower Audio (unlisted on site, call to order)

Also, the pricing of the $999 also come with all blackgates and a build in DAC if I'm not mistaken. A stock Squarewave is probably $200 cheaper.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 amplifier sound compared to the Gilmore Lite w/ K701 and HD650?

If you have experience with both, please advise.

X can V3 suits hd650 very well but only ok with K701. If you want K701 shines more, then there are better amps for it. If you want to make hd650 shine, then X can v3 is the best amp so far even better than gs1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back