Singxer SU-6
Dec 25, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #961 of 1,019
I have a Chinese 9v Talema LPS powering my SU-6 which is hooked to a dedicated slot on my PSM156 using the Puritan Classic cable. I never heard anything like a noticeable jump in performance and so I would caution you against plunking a whole lot of money on that setup. The Audio Magic M1 fuse on my Gustard R26 made a bigger difference than most tweaks I have tried.

Thanks for this input. I've also seen people mentioning that if you are using power filter/conditioner the upgraded LPS will not have that much effect (if any) to the SU-6. I guess the rule of thumb is your power source really matters down the chain.

I have yet to dive into the world of fuse but have read raving reviews with SR purple fuse. How would you describe the Audio Magic M1 improve your dac sound?

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #962 of 1,019
Thanks for this input. I've also seen people mentioning that if you are using power filter/conditioner the upgraded LPS will not have that much effect (if any) to the SU-6. I guess the rule of thumb is your power source really matters down the chain.

I have yet to dive into the world of fuse but have read raving reviews with SR purple fuse. How would you describe the Audio Magic M1 improve your dac sound?
My PSM156 is relatively new. I had just the LPS on the SU-6 for over a year before that. But if you are going to plunk 2K on a DDC solution, I think it might be better invested in a PSM156 that benefits your whole system or even aim for a Holo May dac first. Worthy options to explore. At some point every change in your system will be noticeable and the question is one of best bang for the buck.

In terms of fuses, I tried both SR Purple and Audio Magic M1. While purple seemed to improve things a bit, the AM M1 brought out micro details that I had never heard on the R26 before and so the Purple went back to the dealer. The fuse upgrade was before the PSM156 which improved the sound stage holographicness esp with the puritan ultimate cable. Both fuses improved my Gan400 amp just a notch, so the dac benefits the most from the fuse. Surprisingly, the impact of the fuse on my modded Shiit Freya+ was non-existent suggesting digital components benefit most from fuses.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #964 of 1,019
Here to report, 3 years late, that @Xoverman's "fill it with sand" strategy works.
I just rushed and tried this out; paint me surprised. I am hearing all around improvements - a bit more meat on the bones, sound stage depth, bass impact, and micro details.

Is there any risk that the cling wrap will melt inside?

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #968 of 1,019
Here's a SU-6 review I made recently. :L3000:

:beerchug:

Nice review, bravo!

Have you by any chance tried other DDC like the Gustard, Matrix or Denafrip? If so I'd be interested by your opinion.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #969 of 1,019
Nice review, bravo!

Have you by any chance tried other DDC like the Gustard, Matrix or Denafrip? If so I'd be interested by your opinion.
Thank you!
So far this is the only DDC I've tried. Definitely interested in testing Hermes / Gaia for the extra inputs they offer. Maybe I can convince Alvin to send one over to me. :L3000:

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #970 of 1,019
Thank you!
So far this is the only DDC I've tried. Definitely interested in testing Hermes / Gaia for the extra inputs they offer. Maybe I can convince Alvin to send one over to me. :L3000:
I think Iris is more in the same price bracket of the Singxer though, the other two are for loterie winners! 😁

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #971 of 1,019
Also add Audio GD-24HE

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #972 of 1,019
Does anyone know if sth like cayin N7 with I2S out would be as good/better than a ddc like su6? It could serve as a digital transport and IEM source at once + the direct I2S connection to a dac. While su6 needs to convert from usb. Not sure which method is superior…

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #973 of 1,019
Does anyone know if sth like cayin N7 with I2S out would be as good/better than a ddc like su6? It could serve as a digital transport and IEM source at once + the direct I2S connection to a dac. While su6 needs to convert from usb. Not sure which method is superior…
SU-6 works well with streamer. You don’t need to connect- disconnect or anything. Have a server and play music as and when needed.
With DAP, you always need to connect or disconnect to charge etc.

Also DDC like SU-6 or AudioGD have super capacitor or power regeneration going on for them along with usage of good clock. They also offer other output like Coax, AES, Clock output etc so you can build a whole system around them. Not to mention flexibility of running streamer as NAA for HQPlayer and then passing the signal to DDC.

For 2 channel or desktop system in long run I would get a good DDC.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #974 of 1,019
SU-6 works well with streamer. You don’t need to connect- disconnect or anything. Have a server and play music as and when needed.
With DAP, you always need to connect or disconnect to charge etc.

Also DDC like SU-6 or AudioGD have super capacitor or power regeneration going on for them along with usage of good clock. They also offer other output like Coax, AES, Clock output etc so you can build a whole system around them. Not to mention flexibility of running streamer as NAA for HQPlayer and then passing the signal to DDC.

For 2 channel or desktop system in long run I would get a good DDC.
Yeah yeah, those are convenience things. For me actually a dap would be more convenient cause I also use Trailli. HQplayer I kinda have in my Wandla. For me it’s iPad+su6 or just a N7 dap. End sound quality is what I’m debating:)

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #975 of 1,019
Yeah yeah, those are convenience things. For me actually a dap would be more convenient cause I also use Trailli. HQplayer I kinda have in my Wandla. For me it’s iPad+su6 or just a N7 dap. End sound quality is what I’m debating:)
Clock signal travels separately in I2S and is used directly by DAC and hence clock is of upmost importance here. I’m not sure what clock is used in N7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back