Singxer SU-6
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #946 of 1,027
Yes, I have had to turn off the SU-6 (along with R26 and all other electronics) recently for an extended trip abroad and so R26 is consistent in reporting SU-6 MCLK as EXT.
Sorry, I meant switch SW6 on the SU6's I2S switch settings panel, the one that per the manual switches between different clock frequencies.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #947 of 1,027
Sorry, I meant switch SW6 on the SU6's I2S switch settings panel, the one that per the manual switches between different clock frequencies.
No, not done that - it is set to the switches for Gustard from the start as per the manual which is SW6=OFF. Never had any issues with I2S interface with it off. I doubt this has anything to do with the MCLK BNC output which would likely be a fixed value regardless of I2S settings. Even if it did control that output it would only be 22/44 or 24/48, not 10M as that is not listed against that switch in the manual.

The performance before hooking up the MCLK BNC out was already excellent with the SW6 set to off and this just improved the edge definition a notch up. If settings were incompatible with the R26 I would likely have gotten garbage in the sound instead of an improvement.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #948 of 1,027
Hi I'm thinking of getting myself a DDC and currently torn between Singxer SU-6 and Denafrips Hermes/Gaia. Does anyone have experience comparing between these two? I will probably be using I2S and coax output

Also I've been reading that using a good LPS will improve SU6 compared to the standard SMPS. How much of a difference does it make? Thanks in advance

Dec 24, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #949 of 1,027
Hi I'm thinking of getting myself a DDC and currently torn between Singxer SU-6 and Denafrips Hermes/Gaia. Does anyone have experience comparing between these two? I will probably be using I2S and coax output

Also I've been reading that using a good LPS will improve SU6 compared to the standard SMPS. How much of a difference does it make? Thanks in advance
LPS is not mandatory with SU-6 and improvement with LPS will be subtle at best and will depend on your chain. Get in stock form and later get the LPS if you feel like.
I’m happy with SU-6 and have no complain.

Isn’t Gaia like $2K+ product ?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #951 of 1,027
You guys suggesting that R26 can take worldclock input from SU-6?
No, a master clock output but at frequencies other than 10mhz was my suggestion. At least as an alternative possible explanation for what vvume is observing. See my posts with SU6 manual excerpts above where the BNC output can be set to a master clock out vs word clock via SW5 switch, with frequencies set by SW6.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #952 of 1,027
Dec 24, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #953 of 1,027
LPS is not mandatory with SU-6 and improvement with LPS will be subtle at best and will depend on your chain. Get in stock form and later get the LPS if you feel like.
I’m happy with SU-6 and have no complain.

Isn’t Gaia like $2K+ product ?

I've read people's experience that mention LPS does minimal to the sound of SU-6 and others that had the complete opposite experience with LPS quite significantly elevate the sound.

I'm trying to figure out how SU-6 with LPS compares to the Hermes because they both might end up costing similar (and trying to figure out whether the additional $$$ from Hermes to Gaia is worth it).

Thank you so much for the link!

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #954 of 1,027
No, a master clock output but at frequencies other than 10mhz was my suggestion. At least as an alternative possible explanation for what vvume is observing. See my posts with SU6 manual excerpts above where the BNC output can be set to a master clock out vs word clock via SW5 switch, with frequencies set by SW6.
That info is also of value! Thanks for the headsup.
How does SU-6 improve with input from a masterclock (OCK-2)? Is there an improvement to be heard?

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #955 of 1,027
That info is also of value! Thanks for the headsup.
How does SU-6 improve with input from a masterclock (OCK-2)? Is there an improvement to be heard?
I don’t think SU-6 has input for external clock. It has output for clock

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #957 of 1,027
I'm trying to figure out how SU-6 with LPS compares to the Hermes because they both might end up costing similar (and trying to figure out whether the additional $$$ from Hermes to Gaia is worth it).

I have a Chinese 9v Talema LPS powering my SU-6 which is hooked to a dedicated slot on my PSM156 using the Puritan Classic cable. I never heard anything like a noticeable jump in performance and so I would caution you against plunking a whole lot of money on that setup. The Audio Magic M1 fuse on my Gustard R26 made a bigger difference than most tweaks I have tried.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #958 of 1,027
I have a Chinese 9v Talema LPS powering my SU-6 which is hooked to a dedicated slot on my PSM156 using the Puritan Classic cable. I never heard anything like a noticeable jump in performance and so I would caution you against plunking a whole lot of money on that setup. The Audio Magic M1 fuse on my Gustard R26 made a bigger difference than most tweaks I have tried.
I also have the Puritan PSM156 & M1 Fuse in my R26 - both excellent. I highly recommend the Groundmaster to take the PSM to the next level if you've not tried it.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #959 of 1,027
I also have the Puritan PSM156 & M1 Fuse in my R26 - both excellent. I highly recommend the Groundmaster to take the PSM to the next level if you've not tried it.
That is on my next to-do list once I get around to understanding how it is supposed to be hooked up.

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #960 of 1,027
Fwiw in my speaker setup, the difference between the stock su6 wall wart vs ferrum hypsos is very noticeable. Even the choice of DC cable has made a difference -- I've tried stock, ghent Gotham, neotech copper in PTFE, and finally settled on Mundorf sgw. Changing output voltage on the hypsos also influences the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back