Singxer SU-6
Dec 13, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #931 of 1,027
How about a Mutec MC3+ USB w/ Ref10 clock?

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #932 of 1,027
You can still get substantial and in my view very worthwhile improvements (to soundstaging depth, width and precision, macro and micro dynamics, palpability and texture of notes) when using the SU6 and R26 by using an external clock with the R26 alone (I have done this, you select external clock in the R26 menu).

Optimal case in my experience, if not possible with SU6, is to use same external clock to provide the master clock signal to both DDC and DAC. I have also done this with Gustard U18 which i also own. Each external clock connection brings easily audible and cumulative benefits when toggled on and off.

I AB'd these combos again just a few nights ago with my month old LHY OCK-1* & Gustard C2 clock cable to refresh my memory.

*As an aside breaking news from the DI20 thread is is LHY have just released an OCK-2 with better chassis and better/lower claimed jitter/phase noise - if I was looking for a clock today I would seriously consider this.

I realize your response is a bit dated, but have you tried hooking up the clock out of the SU-6 to the clock input on the R26? I was surprised to find a significant jump in edge definition when using the Gustard C2 BNC cable despite connecting SU-6 to R26 using the I2S interface. This compared to LHY OCK-2 previously connected to the R26 alone which came across as being less defined in comparison.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #933 of 1,027
I realize your response is a bit dated, but have you tried hooking up the clock out of the SU-6 to the clock input on the R26? I was surprised to find a significant jump in edge definition when using the Gustard C2 BNC cable despite connecting SU-6 to R26 using the I2S interface. This compared to LHY OCK-2 previously connected to the R26 alone which came across as being less defined in comparison.
That is interesting and not something I thought to try, if you mean connect the SU-6 MCLK output to the R26 ext clock input? In part as I see the MCLCK output frequencies of the SU-6 are 22-49Mhz, not the 10mhz I understood was all the R26 accepted. But you've tried this and it worked (displayed as EXT on the R26?) and sounded better?

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #934 of 1,027
That is interesting and not something I thought to try, if you mean connect the SU-6 MCLK output to the R26 ext clock input? In part as I see the MCLCK output frequencies of the SU-6 are 22-49Mhz, not the 10mhz I understood was all the R26 accepted. But you've tried this and it worked (displayed as EXT on the R26?) and sounded better?
Yes. The MCLCK output on the SU-6 must be 10mhz and EXT is showing on the R26. Took me completely by surprise. Removing the cable, I lost the edge definition and so it is definitely having an impact.

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #935 of 1,027
Yes. The MCLCK output on the SU-6 must be 10mhz and EXT is showing on the R26. Took me completely by surprise. Removing the cable, I lost the edge definition and so it is definitely having an impact.
Very interesting. I checked the SU-6 manual after and confirmed it listed those frequencies. So either that or the Gustard manual is wrong and one does more frequencies. I'm away for a while but will try on my return.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #936 of 1,027
Is it ever advisable and doable to split the i2S signal coming out of the rj45 jack? Is it doable, if I would like to send the same signal to 2 different DACs for example, without degrading the signal's integrity by introducing noise/jitter etc etc? If one can do this , then what might be the best ethernet splitter or switch to use in order to retain all of the signal;s audiophile sonic goodness?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #937 of 1,027
Very interesting. I checked the SU-6 manual after and confirmed it listed those frequencies. So either that or the Gustard manual is wrong and one does more frequencies. I'm away for a while but will try on my return.
I think the SU-6 manual is only talking about I2S pinout frequencies and not the physical MCLK BNC output. If it is not a 10Mhz output shouldn't there be two MCLK BNC ports for 44.1 and 48KHz frequencies (or their derivatives)? Like on the Denafrips DDCs? The single output to me suggests standard 10Mhz clock output.

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #938 of 1,027
Is it ever advisable an doable to split the i2S signal coming out of the rj45 jack? Is it doable, if I would like to send the same signal to 2 different DACs for example, eithout degrading the signal's integrity by introducing noise/jitter etc etc? If one can do this , then what might be the best ethernet splitter or switch to use in order to retain all of the signal;s audiophile sonic goodness?
Interesting but not sure if it can be done. Without introducing noise. I would advise against it. Got another Metrum /Sonnet DAC ?
I would use free AES out after I2S unless you want to play files above 192Khz.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #940 of 1,027
Got another Metrum /Sonnet DAC ? I would use free AES out after I2S unless you want to play files above 192Khz.
Yes, I just found an irresistible deal on a Sonnet Morpheus so I'm bringing it back to pair it again with my Niimbus US4 for another room. The Niimbus is currently paired with a Schiit Bifrost 2/64, where it is sounding rather under-optimized and under-utilized to my ears. Mind you, I like the Bifrost 2/64's sound in other settings, but here it is facing quite an uphill competition. This same Niimbus used to be paired once with my first Sonnet Morpheus, which I ended up trading in for the Pasithea. The departed Morpheus has left a pair of large sonic "shoes" in partnership with the Niimbus that the Bifrost 2/64 has always struggled to fill. It is therefore fitting that the Morpheus is poised to come back. As for getting to use the I2s on the Morpheus again, I may just have to bring my ambre back from "semi-retirement" to ses to that, but that's going to be another story for another day,

BTW, speaking of AES interconnects is there any special "audiophile" brand that you would like to recommend for connecting the Morpheus with the SU6?

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #941 of 1,027
Yes, I just found an irresistible deal on a Sonnet Morpheus so I'm bringing it back to pair it again with my Niimbus US4 for another room. The Niimbus is currently paired with a Schiit Bifrost 2/64, where it is sounding rather under-optimized and under-utilized to my ears. Mind you, I like the Bifrost 2/64's sound in other settings, but here it is facing quite an uphill competition. This same Niimbus used to be paired once with my first Sonnet Morpheus, which I ended up trading in for the Pasithea. The departed Morpheus has left a pair of large sonic "shoes" in partnership with the Niimbus that the Bifrost 2/64 has always struggled to fill. It is therefore fitting that the Morpheus is poised to come back. As for getting to use the I2s on the Morpheus again, I may just have to bring my ambre back from "semi-retirement" to ses to that, but that's going to be another story for another day,

BTW, speaking of AES interconnects is there any special "audiophile" brand that you would like to recommend for connecting the Morpheus with the SU6?
Crazy deals these days on used gear…I loved Morpheus btw. I feel Morpheus with Ambre is great unless you want to play files above 192Khz.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #942 of 1,027
I think the SU-6 manual is only talking about I2S pinout frequencies and not the physical MCLK BNC output. If it is not a 10Mhz output shouldn't there be two MCLK BNC ports for 44.1 and 48KHz frequencies (or their derivatives)? Like on the Denafrips DDCs? The single output to me suggests standard 10Mhz clock output.
Here's what the English and Chinese manuals say re clock frequencies (I grabbed the Chinese one in case of translation error which happened in places with Gustard). Source - http://www.singxer.com/col.jsp?id=108

I see it refers to firmware V2.21, no idea how current/old that is. But I guess conceivable they've updated the options since this firmware version but not updated the manual.

Screenshot_20231223_103958_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20231223_104314_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #943 of 1,027
Here's what the English and Chinese manuals say re clock frequencies (I grabbed the Chinese one in case of translation error which happened in places with Gustard). Source - http://www.singxer.com/col.jsp?id=108

I see it refers to firmware V2.21, no idea how current/old that is. But I guess conceivable they've updated the options since this firmware version but not updated the manual.

Screenshot_20231223_103958_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20231223_104314_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Also possible that the person writing the documentation got it completely wrong in the first place. If the MCLK BNC output is not 10MHz, you would need seperate outputs for 44.1 & 48Khz frequencies. I haven't come across a device using 44.1/48 clock inputs on a single BNC and switch between them dynamically.

In any case, the performance of the SU-6 MCLK clock is better than the OCK-2 which is saying something. Not sure there is some other fluke going on in my syatem which is why I was curious to see if other SU-6/R26 owners experience the same jump up in edge definition.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #944 of 1,027
Also possible that the person writing the documentation got it completely wrong in the first place. If the MCLK BNC output is not 10MHz, you would need seperate outputs for 44.1 & 48Khz frequencies. I haven't come across a device using 44.1/48 clock inputs on a single BNC and switch between them dynamically.

In any case, the performance of the SU-6 MCLK clock is better than the OCK-2 which is saying something. Not sure there is some other fluke going on in my syatem which is why I was curious to see if other SU-6/R26 owners experience the same jump up in edge definition.
I’ll defer to your first hand experience. Have you tried switching SW6 on/off… if not I wonder what it would do.

Also, another possibility is the Gustard K2 is smart enough to detect and use a range of clock frequencies (not just 10mhz) as its reference, but this isn’t a published feature,

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #945 of 1,027
I’ll defer to your first hand experience. Have you tried switching SW6 on/off… if not I wonder what it would do.

Also, another possibility is the Gustard K2 is smart enough to detect and use a range of clock frequencies (not just 10mhz) as its reference, but this isn’t a published feature,
Yes, I have had to turn off the SU-6 (along with R26 and all other electronics) recently for an extended trip abroad and so R26 is consistent in reporting SU-6 MCLK as EXT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back