Singxer SU-1
Apr 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #106 of 129
I've been listened for the past 1-1/2hrs (without the mR) in my chain and have found I'm very impressed with the KTE SU-1 unlike the SU-1 which wasn't impressive to me, leaving me to actually prefer my chain without it.

Now, as soon as I put the mR back into my chain I immediately noticed the mR pushed the performance of the KTE SU-1 to another level by enhancing the clarity/height/depth/separation/imaging/sound-stage and decay of the music. I would describe it as a "liveliness" being added to everything the KTE SU-1 already has to offer. So from what I'm hearing, both the mR/KTE SU-1 definitely work extremely well together in my chain.

I  mentioned in a prior post when I received my KTE SU-1 and already had the mR in my chain, that everything sounded as if it were on a much grander scale and didn't know which should be credited. I've come to the conclusion that it is both the mR/KTE SU-1 working side by side bringing me this musical enjoyment I've been experiencing. 

PS: I Also experienced another drop out which would occur once (maybe twice) each listening session while I was writing this without the mR in my chain. This only adds another reason for my preference of AoIP being I never experience any drop out issues whatsoever while using it.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #109 of 129
  which one would that be?  Their site / product naming is impossible to understand. 

I believe that they have three new products coming out: sMS-200 Ultra, sPS-500, and the tX-USB Ultra.

I believe the sMS-200 Ultra is the endpoint, the sPS-500 may be the DDC, and the tX-USB Ultra may be a regen.

Preordering is already available on the regen:

https://sotm-usa.com/products/tx-usbultra-regenerator

The other two products should be out by the end of this month.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #110 of 129
Just got the Apollo V2 hdmi cable, and it is a nice improvement over the mediabridge I had. I am now very inclined to upgrade the rest of my interconnects. I also think I should get off Headfi a while, you guys are a bad influence.... 
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #111 of 129
Hello Energy,

now you'll have to advise us for a good cheap usb cable :wink: I'm using the one that was sent with my Singxer, don't know if it's some kind of generic cable or not... What is really important for USB ? inner shielding between DATA and 5V ?

The one sent by Singxer is pretty decent for a generic cable. It's shielded and has ferrite choke on both side to help remove common mode noise.

For USB it's important to keep 90 ohm impedance and there's only a handful of companies who's very fixated on keeping that deviation low.

A bunch of custom cables with different lengths, internal arrangements, or connectors will drift away from the recommended performing impedance.

Wire thickness, shielding of data/power lines, insulation properties, and common mode noise also becomes a problem.

Personally I use iFi Mercury as it addresses most if not all of these issues.

Just remember. All cables will change the signal integrity thus affect jitter so you'll want a cable as short as as possible for less deviation from what's 'ideal', even if it's a generic cable. If you multiple devices between your Singxer such as a Uptone REGEN and can somehow fit a male to male USB adapter into your setup then it's recommended.

I switched from speakers to headphones and the apollo av cable is definitely an upgrade from monoprice :p  quieter, less harshness in treble.  with speakers it's hard to hear a difference.  using hd800

I'm glad you hear a difference! It's subtle but it's there. The background is blacker, treble isn't as overly aggressive, bass not as thumpy, instruments timbre and vocal delivery are a tad cleaner, and overall sound becomes more transparent and effortless.

It's hard for me to hear all this through speakers as well but from the HD800S and Utopia it's fairly easy to spot after a few songs in when comparing to a generic cable. I'm not too much of a believer in digital cables but surely design and material seem to have affects on jitter and that can be heard. Even on a 0.5M cable, the WireWorld or Apollo sounds better than any generic one.

Just got the Apollo V2 hdmi cable, and it is a nice improvement over the mediabridge I had. I am now very inclined to upgrade the rest of my interconnects. I also think I should get off Headfi a while, you guys are a bad influence.... :p

Haha, don't spend too much on cables now :] You're lucky the Apollo didn't cost you an arm or a leg and still performs well with ones costing 5 times as much. I find that there's really no upgrades worth taking from there. Wish you luck on your interconnect journey. I find analog cable upgrades to have more than a subtle sound quality improvement than with digital cables.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #112 of 129
Just put the Singxer in my chain, enjoying 12S connection to Matrix X-Sabre Pro. 3 questions I'm hoping existing owners may have thoughts / insight on:

1) My Singxer shipped without a power cable. Got an inexpensive one at Best Buy but wondering if a modest upgrade ($50 - $100 range, nothing too pricey) would be worthwhile.Thoughts / recommendations welcomed.

2) Also, is it prudent to leave the SU-1 on 24 / 7 or better to shut it off when not in use, from a performance and longevity point of view.

3) The Matrix DAC driver does DSD native to 512 to over USB in HQPlayer. The Singxer driver only allows up to DSD256 and requires DoP. With both drivers installed, HQPlayer can only output to the Singxer. I've heard there will be an update to the Singxer XMOS 200 series driver at some point but until then, is there a workaround?

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #113 of 129
Just put the Singxer in my chain, enjoying 12S connection to Matrix X-Sabre Pro. 3 questions I'm hoping existing owners may have thoughts / insight on:

1) My Singxer shipped without a power cable. Got an inexpensive one at Best Buy but wondering if a modest upgrade ($50 - $100 range, nothing too pricey) would be worthwhile.Thoughts / recommendations welcomed.

2) Also, is it prudent to leave the SU-1 on 24 / 7 or better to shut it off when not in use, from a performance and longevity point of view.

3) The Matrix DAC driver does DSD native to 512 to over USB in HQPlayer. The Singxer driver only allows up to DSD256 and requires DoP. With both drivers installed, HQPlayer can only output to the Singxer. I've heard there will be an update to the Singxer XMOS 200 series driver at some point but until then, is there a workaround?

1) Power cables should be the last thing that's worth upgrading to be real frank. I personally use unshielded 14 gauge power cables from Monoprice which does the job just fine. Just keep them as short as possible and with adequate thickness. While I do agree that it can offer benefits in particular setups, it comes with certain conditions. You can read more below.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/technical-papers/myths-and-snake-oil

2) It is fine to leave the Singer SU-1 on 24/7, and if anything, more recommended to do so. Two reasons. Electrical stabilization and temperature equilibrium needs to be met before components can perform their best. It's also recommended to keep various DAC's on all the time too like the Schiit Yggdrasil or even X-Sabre PRO I reckon. Amplifiers on the other hand, not so much. Once it warms up to the right temperature, everything should be fine. This can happen within minutes.

3) I2S should support a lot of formats as it's a native code, but it seems as though perhaps the Singxer SU-1 needs a firmware update to support the correct output. I'm not too knowledgeable on DSD so hopefully someone can chime in.

P.S. - You have Singxer SU-1 and Matrix X-Sabre PRO reversed in your signature. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #114 of 129
="P.S. - You have Singxer SU-1 and Matrix X-Sabre PRO reversed in your signature. :o2smile:

That's okay...at least he has them! You have products in your signature that you don't even have!

:yum:

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #115 of 129
That's okay...at least he has them! You have products in your signature that you don't even have! :yum:

hahaha dang I got roasted. You savage you. Bought them on the first batch and got a little excited hehe. Did you get yours?

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #116 of 129
hahaha dang I got roasted. You savage you. Bought them on the first batch and got a little excited hehe. Did you get yours?

I was like the 10th order for the ISO Regen with the free USPCB. I already have the LPS-1 just sitting in a box waiting for the ISO Regen. I wish I had them already!

May 1, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #117 of 129
I was like the 10th order for the ISO Regen with the free USPCB. I already have the LPS-1 just sitting in a box waiting for the ISO Regen. I wish I had them already!

Awesome! I was going to go for the iGalvanic but couldn't wait for the USPCB so just decided to go for UpTone. Their ideology on proper clean power and fixation on signal integrity won me over.

I see you're using the Singxer F-1 with the Yggdrasil. Since the Yggy doesn't have i2S, the F-1 is more than sufficient! I personally can't tell the difference between AES and S/PDIF. At shorter cable lengths under 2 meter it gets even more arduous. Also since F-1 doesn't need an external power supply (other than Vbus), the ISO REGEN + LPS-1 in your setup would be very simple and clean. I'm curious to see how much of an improvement you're going to get and I'm sure you are too!

May 1, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #118 of 129
1I2S should support a lot of formats as it's a native code, but it seems as though perhaps the Singxer SU-1 needs a firmware update to support the correct output. I'm not too knowledgeable on DSD so hopefully someone can chime in.

P.S. - You have Singxer SU-1 and Matrix X-Sabre PRO reversed in your signature. :o2smile:

Ha, fixed my sig, thanks for pointing it out. There is further discussion of SU-1 firmwars at Computer Audiophile forumfor those interested.

May 1, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #119 of 129
[Deleted]

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #120 of 129
Awesome! I was going to go for the iGalvanic but couldn't wait for the USPCB so just decided to go for UpTone. Their ideology on proper clean power and fixation on signal integrity won me over.

I see you're using the Singxer F-1 with the Yggdrasil. Since the Yggy doesn't have i2S, the F-1 is more than sufficient! I personally can't tell the difference between AES and S/PDIF. At shorter cable lengths under 2 meter it gets even more arduous. Also since F-1 doesn't need an external power supply (other than Vbus), the ISO REGEN + LPS-1 in your setup would be very simple and clean. I'm curious to see how much of an improvement you're going to get and I'm sure you are too!
Did you get the ISO Regen standalone or with the UltraCap LPS-1 ? I am considering about ISO Regen vs iGalvanic, certainly with USPCB USB A>B adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back