Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Jul 5, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #1,186 of 2,587
I haven’t done it, but based on my limited knowledge on the subject I wouldn’t personally without checking my DAC for DC leakage. At the very least I would make sure someone else on the forum who has done it has the same model DAC you have and didn’t fry themselves or their components. You’ve invested enough money in this hobby already at this point, a multimeter should be a no brainer to protect your headphones and source components.
The multimeter makes a reading at the reading moment. If the chinese DAC lack of QC means it will leak DC, two weeks later... well. I would do the mod as advised by curra. but do not think any multimeter check will give warranty of anything.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #1,187 of 2,587
I had mine on order with Drop, but then it got delayed and i cancelled the order.
Just ordered again from Amazon, and just got notification it has shipped out.
Was reading this thread and with regards to the jumper mod; can it be done, without doing any measurements with a voltmeter? (i have zero electrical knowledge). All i know is i can order some jumpers online and just follow the pics on this thread.
One guy did measure with jumpers and without it and it is identical performance for both mods. Also he share same result to what I hear, there is no difference :p

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #1,188 of 2,587
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are you guys pairing the sa1 with the sda1, sda6 or some other dac?

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,189 of 2,587
Sorry if this has been asked before, but are you guys pairing the sa1 with the sda1, sda6 or some other dac?
sda6

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,192 of 2,587
I'm seeing some people relating little to no difference after the jumpers mod, and I might say this is one of the things that people hear differently. Not in taste, but the perception of sound is different from person to person.
I was about to sell my SA-1 (and keep my Jot 1) and fell in love with it after doing the mod. The improvement is so brutal I'm having difficulties trusting any reviewer that praised it without doing the mod first (as their perception is very different than mine). The difference I hear is in both timbre (much more natural) and dynamics. I always liked Currawong's work, but right now he's my #1 reviewer for sources/amps.

Jul 8, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,193 of 2,587
Problem with the mod is that no body has made it with some kind of switch, so one can A/B fast, or immediately. Doing the mod, you gotta trust a lot your audio memory, which is something that can lead to a certain bias... I did the mod once, I did noticed something, but the thing gets so hot where I have it, and I started getting little pain in the ear, I was not sure maybe was related to the mod, which it was not, found it after removing it... I am now waiting for proper jumpers to do it again fine. Wihtout the mod sounds great too in my opinion, in my case I have made so many changes of dac and dac cable and headphones and headphones cables that it is hard to follow the effects of the mod with so many changes... but once it all settles, will try it again with more time to test and to get a proper opinion. It takes time to give a proper review, curra certainly has the experience and knowledge. But I think zeos goes by pure instinct sometimes... same with lachlan, great reviewer, but many times it is just the expected, but he is very critic sometimes. In the end, you gotta read between the lines of each reviewer, like in anything that involves professional review.

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,194 of 2,587
About the impedance switch, which one is better for an audeze lcd2? I notice nothing really. with the sennheiser maybe, but with the audeze nothing really.

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,196 of 2,587
Is anyone pairing Singxer SA-1 with the RME ADI-2 DAC?
How do you like it. And do you mind sharing what settings you used on the RME side to output to SA-1?
I'm sure it makes a great pairing, it is a great delta sigma dac.

I re-did the mod again. waiting for a balanced cable for the audeze... sounds really god. It sounded amazing already, don't know if there is much of a difference really, can't trust my audio memory, both sounded great. Maybe now more dynamic range? can do now louder fast changes in volumen, better micro dynamics? To be honest, I don't know, I can't A/B the mod, but sounds just great.

2021-07-10 17.23.41.jpg2021-07-10 17.24.22.jpg2021-07-10 17.26.16.jpg2021-07-10 17.29.03.jpg

If anyone wants jumpers, I can ship them for 2€ paypal GIFT, worldwide shipping included. send me a message.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #1,197 of 2,587
I undid the mod... I do not notice any improvement, I just noticed some ear pain at times, specially after adjusting volume, or making an eq preset change... not sure how or why or if related, but happened before too. I just un-modded it, also read in the nerds at ASR, not really worth it, dangerous unnecessarily, and singxer people say next versions will not have this pins for jumpers... Best part though is that, I hear no differences really. Not sure how reviewers really hear a difference...

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,198 of 2,587
I had weird experiment recently.
I tired 2 DAC to power SA-1, SMSL M500 & Singxer SDA-6.

The M500 should output 6.8V and SDA-6 only 4.6V, however the sound volume is much higher with SDA-6 even it output less voltage ⚡.
I recorded a video and I will upload it later to show the volume change when I switch manually input ( only XLR ).

What could be the explanation?

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #1,199 of 2,587
The M500 should output 6.8V and SDA-6 only 4.6V, however the sound volume is much higher with SDA-6 even it output less voltage ⚡.
I recorded a video and I will upload it later to show the volume change when I switch manually input ( only XLR ).

What could be the explanation?
The M500 consumes only 5 watts of power. And the SDA-6 has a whooping 40-watts transformer. Current is more important here than voltage. So the SDA-6 is more powerful than the M500 regardless of the output voltage. I assume, the M500 has more output impedance, therefore, more voltage but less power. Less power = less volume.

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #1,200 of 2,587
Could someone summarise the Junper-thing for me? I thought the "mod" would just be to remove thhe jumpers which are normally in there. But now it confuses me that on the first pictures there already are no jumpers installed and when I skip here to page 80, there are some yellow new jumpers installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back