Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,156 of 2,587
I don't know if it was my head tricking me, or the dac or anything else, but i started getting headache with my modded sa1, like ultra sound vibrations or something like that that gives a bit of ear pain, could be just my ears, I don't know, but was getting ear pain. Again, maybe not related, but I removed the jumpers and will try again like this. Anyone else experienced this thing?

It could also be that I had two different dacs connected and on, only one playing music, but, maybe that was it? I will test and check that...
…and I’m back on the vanilla bus

Jun 27, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,157 of 2,587
…and I’m back on the vanilla bus
Vanilla has a hell of a lot of benefits. Dark side is over rated. The avangarde comes from the French Avant Guarde, the front guard, the front line, those who die the first ones. You will not hear back from those who died, only from the Mavericks. Vanilla is fine in this crazy world.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,159 of 2,587
What DAC do you guys pair with your Singxer?
I’m using a Gustard X16, my thoughts were to have a transparent DAC that measures well, really letting the Singxer SA-1 and HP be the star of the show. I was coming from a Multibit DAC which has its merits but I opted for technical capabilities this time. It worked out well and I’m happy with the synergy between the X16, SA-1 & LCD-X 2021.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,161 of 2,587
was going to ask have any of you guys here have tried the Singxer SU-2 in your systems..as well... I've enjoyed their headphone amp I looked again at this.... If not no worries off topic.. just synergy's..

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #1,162 of 2,587
I’m using a Gustard X16, my thoughts were to have a transparent DAC that measures well, really letting the Singxer SA-1 and HP be the star of the show. I was coming from a Multibit DAC which has its merits but I opted for technical capabilities this time. It worked out well and I’m happy with the synergy between the X16, SA-1 & LCD-X 2021.
can you say the name of the multibit dac you are coming from? I just bought an Ares2 with the hype, it's like low res audio... I see what you mean.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,164 of 2,587
As for the import tax that's cause you're not in the EU, we however do need to dish out an extra 25%. Man I am so freaking amped to get this amp. Yes I went there.
Not quite, we also get 20% VAT collected by UK Customs for shipments crossing the UK border. For some reasons it seems that Customs charges are more likely to happen for shipments from the EU.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,166 of 2,587
Have had this amp for over a month now, and it is just fantastic. No regrets at all for this purchase. This leaves the THX amps and Jot 2 in the dust. It makes everything sound nice and clear but without treble harshness. This is the ZMF Verite of amps.
I also prefer it in sound to the 2 THX amplifier I owned so far.

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,167 of 2,587
can you say the name of the multibit dac you are coming from? I just bought an Ares2 with the hype, it's like low res audio... I see what you mean.
I was using a Mimby (Modi Multibit) & Vali 2 Schiit stack. I was quite happy with it and honestly the Ares 2 was the front runner for Multibit if I didn’t stick with Schiit and get the Bifrost 2. I wouldn’t say Multibit is low res, they just don’t measure well, but a well implemented one like the Ares 2 should be more musical than a Delta Sigma which can sound hollow or processed (like a cardboard cutout of the notes). I feel this is less pronounced on newer Delta Sigma DACs, there is always a trade off but it’s less pronounced on the newer chipsets. For instance I don’t get any of the Sabre glare on the X16 that plagued older Sabre DACs

Are you using the Ares 2 with USB? Some other users can speak to this better than I can but I think it has poor USB implementation and you need a filter in it before your DAC to reduce jitter.

The X16 is great, plug and play. Everything sounds the way it should. USB implementation is great and MQA is decoded on the chip itself. Everything just works. No muss no fuss, it does exactly what a DAC show do, get out of the way and it lets you enjoy the music. Are there better ones out there? Absolutely. For the money though it’s hard to beat.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,168 of 2,587
Thanks, the X16 seems like a nice pairing. Also in the looks department. How do the chassis compare in size? (for some reason, that seems relevant :) )

( I have no need for MQA support though, so that is a small waste but there have been plenty discussions on that :deadhorse: )

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #1,170 of 2,587
Thanks, the X16 seems like a nice pairing. Also in the looks department. How do the chassis compare in size? (for some reason, that seems relevant :) )

( I have no need for MQA support though, so that is a small waste but there have been plenty discussions on that :deadhorse: )
They actually stack pretty well, the SA-1 is a smidge wider, but not by much (length is identical). The legs fit perfectly on top of the X16 the body just hangs over about a 1/4” on ether side. I may eventually move it to the bottom of the stack which would look better, but with the gain switches on the bottom of the SA-1 I opted for top. Pretty sure I’m not going to move it from High Gain at this point though.

***Edited to add photo***

Attachments

• FF4EF1F4-D684-4013-9C1A-92A6672B29CC.jpeg
    FF4EF1F4-D684-4013-9C1A-92A6672B29CC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back