Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Jun 29, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,171 of 2,587
I have HE6SE to try it with SA-1.
I can confirm Low-Gain is enough for it. But you need volume between 2 to 4-5 ( 70-90% ). but I feed it SDA-6 DAC that output 4.6V into SA-1.
At full volume it very uncomfortable load And I dial it back to 85% (4:30). Note: The volume after 3 to 5:30(max) is not linear like the 7 to 3.

I enjoy it a lot and liked the sound more than high gain. I feel high gain not as transparent as Low, I need more relax time to listen.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #1,172 of 2,587
Jul 3, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #1,175 of 2,587
Hey guys, I've been getting into hifi for the last few months and recently decided to pull the trigger on the SA-1 as my first amp, I'm trying to build a stack that's fairly neutral but still fun, lively, not too clinical/boring. I obviously need a dac too and have about another $500 (including VAT in EU) to spend on a dac (though I'd prefer $300-400). I was looking at the zen dac signature after I was given that rec by several people but from what I heard it's very laid back which is kind of a bad thing cause I use the HD650 as of now (and when I demo more expensive headphones I want an accurate enough impression) and obv a laid back dac + hd650 = messy for some of the music I listen to (extreme metal). Why did I get hd650 if I listen to extreme metal? It's temporary while looking for my endgame.

So which dac (in combo with sa-1) would you recommend that is: natural sounding, not overly laid back OR analytical, neutral bass/mids/treble wise, is for desktop use and under $500 including VAT (cries in Europe). The main purpose of this stack is to have it fit a lot of headphones, as I do not yet know what my endgame will be and will use this stack to demo many cans.

Sorry if I'm still crap at describing what I want, if I'm not being clear let me know and also tell me things I should describe.

Jul 3, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #1,176 of 2,587
Hey guys, I've been getting into hifi for the last few months and recently decided to pull the trigger on the SA-1 as my first amp, I'm trying to build a stack that's fairly neutral but still fun, lively, not too clinical/boring. I obviously need a dac too and have about another $500 (including VAT in EU) to spend on a dac (though I'd prefer $300-400). I was looking at the zen dac signature after I was given that rec by several people but from what I heard it's very laid back which is kind of a bad thing cause I use the HD650 as of now (and when I demo more expensive headphones I want an accurate enough impression) and obv a laid back dac + hd650 = messy for some of the music I listen to (extreme metal). Why did I get hd650 if I listen to extreme metal? It's temporary while looking for my endgame.

So which dac (in combo with sa-1) would you recommend that is: natural sounding, not overly laid back OR analytical, neutral bass/mids/treble wise, is for desktop use and under $500 including VAT (cries in Europe). The main purpose of this stack is to have it fit a lot of headphones, as I do not yet know what my endgame will be and will use this stack to demo many cans.

Sorry if I'm still crap at describing what I want, if I'm not being clear let me know and also tell me things I should describe.
Gustard X16, it ticks all the boxes and then some. It’s a great combo with the SA-1 as it’s very detailed and dynamic without sounding clinical. It’s surprisingly well equipped at its price point.

The only downside is the HD650 is going to be the weak point in your chain. They scale well, don’t get me wrong but you’re going to want to upgrade to take full advantage of the SA-1, regardless of the DAC you choose.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,177 of 2,587
Gustard X16, it ticks all the boxes and then some. It’s a great combo with the SA-1 as it’s very detailed and dynamic without sounding clinical. It’s surprisingly well equipped at its price point.

The only downside is the HD650 is going to be the weak point in your chain. They scale well, don’t get me wrong but you’re going to want to upgrade to take full advantage of the SA-1, regardless of the DAC you choose.

That's absolutely true, I do need to replace the hd650, the reason I ended up getting them was because when I initially got into headfi I was very naive thinking I could find "the one" perfect pair of cans for me, then I realized that I'd always need to compromise or, pay up, big time. I realized I'd probably be better off getting a midfi pair first so I could spend a lot more time trying stuff out and doing research, which is what I've been doing.

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #1,178 of 2,587

Honestly, X16 or SU9. Both are known to be precise, but not extremely clinical. Both are having some firmware issues though you should be aware off. Gustard has some issues with stuttering while listening to DSD (firmware update is being rolled out), SMSL had some weird distortion spike in one channel (firmware is rolled out but only dealers can update it! so check with your dealer if it is an updated version).

None of this is of my own experience btw, but I just researched the same question for like 3 days online :beyersmile:

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,179 of 2,587
Honestly, X16 or SU9. Both are known to be precise, but not extremely clinical. Both are having some firmware issues though you should be aware off. Gustard has some issues with stuttering while listening to DSD (firmware update is being rolled out), SMSL had some weird distortion spike in one channel (firmware is rolled out but only dealers can update it! so check with your dealer if it is an updated version).

None of this is of my own experience btw, but I just researched the same question for like 3 days online :beyersmile:

Well I can say SU-9 it's sounds pretty clean and plays DSD really well. I like it better than the DX7 Pro I had prior. I really like the sound customization options it has. Been using Crystal 2 with my HD600 with good effect.

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,180 of 2,587

At that price, better buy a 100$ DAC, save money, then get a decent R2R or multibit dac. Or a schitt minby I think it is 2-300$... or an Audio GD... I would suggest to get a cheap delta sigma, don't spend a lot on that, better save for other better dac type. If you can still get an AKM dac, they were the best, I have a topping E30, sounds good for a delta sigma, still very shouty and edged and flat compared to my Ares 2.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,181 of 2,587
At that price, better buy a 100$ DAC, save money, then get a decent R2R or multibit dac. Or a schitt minby I think it is 2-300$... or an Audio GD... I would suggest to get a cheap delta sigma, don't spend a lot on that, better save for other better dac type. If you can still get an AKM dac, they were the best, I have a topping E30, sounds good for a delta sigma, still very shouty and edged and flat compared to my Ares 2.
FWIW the Mimby is not a good fit with the SA-1 (I’ll be selling mine soon), Bifrost 2 with its significantly better staging would be a good option though but not within his budget.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,182 of 2,587
I had mine on order with Drop, but then it got delayed and i cancelled the order.
Just ordered again from Amazon, and just got notification it has shipped out.
Was reading this thread and with regards to the jumper mod; can it be done, without doing any measurements with a voltmeter? (i have zero electrical knowledge). All i know is i can order some jumpers online and just follow the pics on this thread.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,183 of 2,587
I had mine on order with Drop, but then it got delayed and i cancelled the order.
Just ordered again from Amazon, and just got notification it has shipped out.
Was reading this thread and with regards to the jumper mod; can it be done, without doing any measurements with a voltmeter? (i have zero electrical knowledge). All i know is i can order some jumpers online and just follow the pics on this thread.
I haven’t done it, but based on my limited knowledge on the subject I wouldn’t personally without checking my DAC for DC leakage. At the very least I would make sure someone else on the forum who has done it has the same model DAC you have and didn’t fry themselves or their components. You’ve invested enough money in this hobby already at this point, a multimeter should be a no brainer to protect your headphones and source components.

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,184 of 2,587
I haven’t done it, but based on my limited knowledge on the subject I wouldn’t personally without checking my DAC for DC leakage. At the very least I would make sure someone else on the forum who has done it has the same model DAC you have and didn’t fry themselves or their components. You’ve invested enough money in this hobby already at this point, a multimeter should be a no brainer to protect your headphones and source components.

thanks for that sound and sane advice. looks like i will have to do some more reading!

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,185 of 2,587
FWIW the Mimby is not a good fit with the SA-1 (I’ll be selling mine soon), Bifrost 2 with its significantly better staging would be a good option though but not within his budget.
obviously, but the guy who asked has a limited budget, read his question again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back