Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Jul 12, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #1,201 of 2,588
The M500 consumes only 5 watts of power. And the SDA-6 has a whooping 40-watts transformer. Current is more important here than voltage. So the SDA-6 is more powerful than the M500 regardless of the output voltage. I assume, the M500 has more output impedance, therefore, more voltage but less power. Less power = less volume.
This what I thought, but previously I believed the output voltage is correlated with volume level but know I witness something else.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,203 of 2,588
Could someone summarise the Junper-thing for me? I thought the "mod" would just be to remove thhe jumpers which are normally in there.
It's the other way around. There are no jumpers by default. The point of the mod is to install the jumpers in order to bypass the capacitors that protect the output circuit from the DC offset. And this action already voids your warranty (the cover is sealed). The amp is protected by the capacitors from the DC offset by default. DC offset is a constant voltage plus or minus in the signal. As the signal hits a certain level, the DC offset can potentially damage your expensive headphone or the amp itself. Keep in mind that no replacement can be provided for the headphone if the damage occurs due to the user's actions like modifying the amplifier.

The improvement to the sound quality due to this mod is questionable. Most likely, you will gain a little bit of microdynamics from bypassing the capacitors. But losing the protection and warranty is not worth it.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #1,204 of 2,588
It's the other way around. There are no jumpers by default. The point of the mod is to install the jumpers in order to bypass the capacitors that protect the output circuit from the DC offset. And this action already voids your warranty (the cover is sealed). The amp is protected by the capacitors from the DC offset by default. DC offset is a constant voltage plus or minus in the signal. As the signal hits a certain level, the DC offset can potentially damage your expensive headphone or the amp itself. Keep in mind that no replacement can be provided for the headphone if the damage occurs due to the user's actions like modifying the amplifier.

The improvement to the sound quality due to this mod is questionable. Most likely, you will gain a little bit of microdynamics from bypassing the capacitors. But losing the protection and warranty is not worth it.
Thank you for your help.

Just to be able to assess the risk: Is this protection in all the headphone amps or are most amps without this? How do you assess the risk?

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #1,207 of 2,588
Is this protection in all the headphone amps or are most amps without this? How do you assess the risk?
All the quality amps should guarantee an appropriate signal processing that would meet technical requirements for the output signal to be safe for any appropriate headphone. That's why I would stay on the safe side and use my gear as directed by the manufacturer without modifying anything.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,208 of 2,588
Is anyone using the SA-1 with HE6SE? Is it able to fully drive them?
I have he6se loan from a friend, yes it can driven with low gain but at 90% with volume for some songs, but with high gain you have more volume to play with.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,209 of 2,588
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #1,210 of 2,588
I have he6se loan from a friend, yes it can driven with low gain but at 90% with volume for some songs, but with high gain you have more volume to play with.
Thank you!
Also, wanted to ask if SA-1 can be used with IEMs on the more sensitive side, when on Low gain (like the Gustard H16 can, for example), or is it a no go as SA-1 is too powerful/introduces hissing?

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #1,211 of 2,588
All the quality amps should guarantee an appropriate signal processing that would meet technical requirements for the output signal to be safe for any appropriate headphone. That's why I would stay on the safe side and use my gear as directed by the manufacturer without modifying anything.
Currawong on youtube said it wouldnt matter because you still don´t damage your hadphones if you don´t turn the volume too high. He says thats just all about it when it comes to damaging headphones with the amp

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #1,213 of 2,588
Is anyone using the SA-1 with HE6SE? Is it able to fully drive them?
Yes, I'm using the SA-1 with a HE6SEv2 and it drives it fine. I'm running it in high gain though, as ASR showed no penalty for high gain.

Also, wanted to ask if SA-1 can be used with IEMs on the more sensitive side, when on Low gain (like the Gustard H16 can, for example), or is it a no go as SA-1 is too powerful/introduces hissing?
Seems to be, I do have a few IEMs myself but haven't yet tried with the SA-1 (have dongles that I use and use headphones when at desk where the SA-1 is at). See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...most-quiet-balanced-headphone-amp-png.129582/

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,214 of 2,588
has plenty of power, it drives anything really in low gain and SE. If you want louder, go hi gain and balanced. Balanced sounds better, but I am using a new audeze by single ended, sounds great already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back