Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #108 of 2,587
I have this amp. And it can drive from IEMs to Hifiman HE6SE. Highly recommended.

The overall sound is a bit warm. But it fits Hifiman's slightly bright tuning very well!
Could you compare this to another amp? Is it as warm as a V200/280?

And is the Treble rolled off or Bass is boosted?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #110 of 2,587
From what I have heard, Class A AMPS generally has a more warm sound to them compared to class D AMPS. I guess what you might notice is a more "organic" and pronounced midrange and lowrange with music compared to a class D AMP, like a 789. Class D generally sound more neutral, uncolored, and are more powerful. Surprisingly, the Singxer AMP can push a lot of watts into 32 ohms.
Thanks! Seems like Class A is a great match for my Verite Closed.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #113 of 2,587
I would say, the gustard is very good on paper for a class D amp, with remote for analog, stepped volume, a display... Maybe best one in class D? depends for who. Some may not like that knob really...

Then Jot2 and Singxer are class A, A-A/B for jot 2, singxer it is supposed to be full class A i think? Both great units. 200% jot2 in USA. For europeans, same price really... unless you switch gain often, singxer is supposed to sound better overall... I woner if the gain or resistance switch affect the preamped outputs in XLR or RCA.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #114 of 2,587
From what I have heard, Class A AMPS generally has a more warm sound to them compared to class D AMPS. I guess what you might notice is a more "organic" and pronounced midrange and lowrange with music compared to a class D AMP, like a 789. Class D generally sound more neutral, uncolored, and are more powerful. Surprisingly, the Singxer AMP can push a lot of watts into 32 ohms.

Starting to sound like I should be looking at Class A amps too, then, as an upgrade from my kinda boring sounding Schiit Magni 3. I guess my headphones already lean towards warm/bassy quite a bit (HD58X, Meze 99C, Aeolus coming "soon") so I suppose there's always a risk of going too warm, but.. I dunno, I feel like I might love the "too warm" sound too. I'm also thinking the Aeolus + universe suede pads + a Class A amp might be a wild combo.

Making an actual purchase decision is going to be hard, though. I'm currently between this, the Flux Lab FA-12S and RebelAmp, all pretty much exactly the same price.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #115 of 2,587
Starting to sound like I should be looking at Class A amps too, then, as an upgrade from my kinda boring sounding Schiit Magni 3. I guess my headphones already lean towards warm/bassy quite a bit (HD58X, Meze 99C, Aeolus coming "soon") so I suppose there's always a risk of going too warm, but.. I dunno, I feel like I might love the "too warm" sound too. I'm also thinking the Aeolus + universe suede pads + a Class A amp might be a wild combo.

Making an actual purchase decision is going to be hard, though. I'm currently between this, the Flux Lab FA-12S and RebelAmp, all pretty much exactly the same price.
Warm amps pair extremely well with transparent, neutral dacs.
Personally i like neutral dacs like sabre ones with warm amps.
If you aim for more transparent amp you can still add some warmth with copper cables.
Utopia users had plenty of succes with danacables copper cable for example.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #116 of 2,587
Could you compare this to another amp? Is it as warm as a V200/280?

And is the Treble rolled off or Bass is boosted?
SA-1 is not as warm as V200. I sold my V200 because the SA-1 is more musical and not as warm... especially when using the balanced input on the SA-1, it sounds more opened, detailed and netural. It sounds great, I really really like that sound signature. V200 advantage was the bass control and a bit wider soundstage. SA-1 bass control is pretty good and soundstage is deeper and fairly wide. I have the SA-1 paired with the SDA-6 dac (advanced version) and they are really made for each other sound wise. I have another setup that is more neutral (Violectric V100 paired with Gustard A18 dac) and while it sounds pretty good it is kind of dry and lifeless compared to SA-1+SDA-6 combo. I was tempted at some point to shoot for V280 or the new V550 prior to discover Singxer but I will probably sell the V100+A18 and get something in the "musical" sound signature like the Denafrips Pontus+Atermis combo and keep SA-1+SDA-6 for the second system... unless Singxer comes up with a more upscale headphone amp. Also keeping an eye on upcoming reviews of the Mcintosh MHA200.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #117 of 2,587
Warm amps pair extremely well with transparent, neutral dacs.
Personally i like neutral dacs like sabre ones with warm amps.
If you aim for more transparent amp you can still add some warmth with copper cables.
Utopia users had plenty of succes with danacables copper cable for example.

I have a Topping D10 and honestly have no idea what it's supposed to sound like. Neutral, I guess? I admittedly have very little experience with DACs in general, but I sort of buy into the school of thought that DACs are "supposed" to be completely invisible, that all they're supposed to do is change the bits into waves and not color the sound in any way and when you want to color your sound, the primary way is the headphones (or speakers) and the secondary, optional way is the amp.

And speaking of that, I'm not seeing a LOT on the SA-1, but everything I am is making me extremely excited. The post above this one, Z's recent video (I don't like him and I doubt he's super well regarded here, but his hype can be infectious), all make the SA-1 sound like a fantastic choice of amp if you're looking for something to make everything sound more pleasing. It also seems to offer by far the most options of the three I mentioned in my earlier post, with different outputs, the high Z/low Z switch, etc. I think I'm gonna change my plans a bit and start saving up for this.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #118 of 2,587
I have a Topping D10 and honestly have no idea what it's supposed to sound like. Neutral, I guess? I admittedly have very little experience with DACs in general, but I sort of buy into the school of thought that DACs are "supposed" to be completely invisible, that all they're supposed to do is change the bits into waves and not color the sound in any way and when you want to color your sound, the primary way is the headphones (or speakers) and the secondary, optional way is the amp.

And speaking of that, I'm not seeing a LOT on the SA-1, but everything I am is making me extremely excited. The post above this one, Z's recent video (I don't like him and I doubt he's super well regarded here, but his hype can be infectious), all make the SA-1 sound like a fantastic choice of amp if you're looking for something to make everything sound more pleasing. It also seems to offer by far the most options of the three I mentioned in my earlier post, with different outputs, the high Z/low Z switch, etc. I think I'm gonna change my plans a bit and start saving up for this.
well you arent wrong however a dac is supposed to be more flat and less invisible, depending on the price and taste. the d10 is transparent but it colors the sound in other ways. such as sounding more sterile. that has nothing to do with its measurements its just something that has been proven in blind tests. engineering is required to make things sound different without changing the actual freq curve itself such as soundstage imaging or sparkle. this is done by a combination of parts and modulations and harminics that different companies use to design. companies that focus on numbers tend to be the cheapest to make because they just copy the specs from the chip manufacturer and make everything simple therefore cheaper. it tends to sound stale but clean. same with amplifiers and even speakers in a way . the reason people like class A is because it has more engineering and more parts interaction and can therefore sound different and generally more rich but can be the opposite depending on parts. even amps that measure literally identically like the SMSL SH9 & SP400 which The Next Best Thing Studio showed in a blind test that you can hear a difference let alone with a custom class A. bits are not just bits , and watts are not just watts. though people that sell basic and cheap products that measure just fine would tell you otherwise. "its transparent" yeah so it a good tube amp. but it also grabs MORE details in the time domain and the spacial domain. so experiment and enjoy i have heard the sa1 does great but i dont think it is "warm " like you are thinking it is. less cold would be a better word than "warm" i know confusing but try it out. Z is not reputable watch for pure entertainment.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #119 of 2,587
so experiment and enjoy i have heard the sa1 does great but i dont think it is "warm " like you are thinking it is. less cold would be a better word than "warm" i know confusing but try it out.
That does seem to be the case! Specially with lex's post a bit earlier, and being more than just "warm" (or less cold, as you put it) excites me greatly. I'm thinking I'll get this, the Aeolus and a DIY tube amp kit this spring and later in the year look into upgrading from my D10, too, but for now, for all its sterility, it'll have to do.

Z is not reputable watch for pure entertainment.
I'd rather not watch him at all to be honest, but nobody else is talking about the SA-1! (Well, other than this utterly bizarre video where someone compares it to the iFi Zen Can without actually owning or having ever heard the SA-1)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #120 of 2,587

D10 will be good for SA-1. Maybe better with DAC has XLRs. However, the better investment to get a great amp like SA-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back