Singxer SA-1 / Balanced Amplifier Fully Discrete Class A - beyond THX 888 ?!
Mar 16, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #121 of 2,579
Can any of the owners comment on:

- Gain change, from low gain to high gain, changes the pre amp output volumen, or the pre amped volume is never affected by the gain switch?
- What is the knob travel from low gain with hd6XX? from 7 to 12, or how much?

Thanks so much. Waiting for it to be in stock to order one.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #124 of 2,579
it is out of stock world wide, all shops waiting for them. End of march or april is the expected dates to have more stock, initially, we will see. Some shops might have some left, or just charge you money to have you waiting... don't buy til april, or until more reviews come out.

Mar 17, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #127 of 2,579
Does anyone know yet what is the output power on the Low Gain? (either Balanced or SE)
It is depends on the input voltage from your DAC.

You can get all the power if you give at least 12v which not possible.

Mar 17, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #128 of 2,579
It is depends on the input voltage from your DAC.

You can get all the power if you give at least 12v which not possible.
Oh, I see.
I do have RME ADI-2, which I believe can do 6.9 volts. Is there some way to calculate this to get the output power of amplifier in low gain?

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #129 of 2,579
Oh, I see.
I do have RME ADI-2, which I believe can do 6.9 volts. Is there some way to calculate this to get the output power of amplifier in low gain?
I asked the product manager in email. I hope he replay correctly :p
Last I asked and he replied something else:

SA-1 headphone amplifier gains:
1. Single-ended input, single-ended output: low gain is 0db, high gain is 11db;
2. Single-ended input, balanced output: low gain is 6db, high gain is 17db;
3. Balanced input, single-ended output: low gain is -6db, high gain is 5db;
4. Balanced input, balanced output: low gain is 0db, high gain is 11db;

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #131 of 2,579
The following is the maximum input without distortion at the maximum volume. no load:

low gain: XLR 15.5VRMS,RCA 7.4V RMS;
high gain : XLR 4.4VRMS,RCA 2.1VRMS.

When there is a load, it is about 10% lower.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #132 of 2,579
Oh, I see.

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #133 of 2,579
Hi. I'm a long time member but far between my posts. Generelly lurking and reading other members postings before I spam with same question again and again. But here I might med doing this anyway. 30 years of hifi obsession with plenty of stuff passed through, but never really got going with the world of head-fi.

I need advice on selecting a good amp for headphones and pre-amp for powered speakers(balanced). I have a list of three amps that I am interested in.

Singxer SA-1
Topping A90
Jotunheim 2

I live in Norway and due to shipping cost, unit cost and tax duties, these three all cost about the same for us here in Norway when importing them ourselves.

You can see my equipment so far in my signature I think. Hd560s and X3 will be run balanced. (both are new to me and I haven't much experience with them yet. Looking to expand and try other things in the future,

My preferences in sound:

I like detail, and am usually not bothered about so called treble peaky headphones like Beyerdynamics DT1990 and T90, having had both before.
I also kinda prefer sound depth over ultra wide soundfield. I dislike recessed mids, but also don't like pushed forward mids. If I have to commit to something it would be fairly detailed neutral/even sound from the top through the mids with a little hint...possibly just 1db...in the bass region. I also don't like overly warm sound. Have had my time with tubes(expensive ones as well), but the warm "fuzz" don't do anything for me.

I chose this thread because I think Singxer SA-1 might be closest to what I'm looking for after reading some of you guys experience with it.

I must also note that I like for speakers and headphones to show their character...not necessarily be colored(too much) by the equipment before in the chain. I like for them to show of their strenghts and weaknesses. This might make me a so-called "reviewer" instead of enjoying the music. I'm trying more and more to enjoy music rather than changing equipment all the time.

I'm a bit confused and really undecided of which amp to go for. I want something that kinda is an allrounder that don't need to be best at everything, but can work for multiple uses and headphones. I use the Kali Audio IN-5 as my powered desk-speakers. (Might have read that the SA-1 could have the better pre-amp over A90?)

As I have written this it might be clearer to me that the Jot 2 is not such a good deal as it will cost nearer to $600 when shipping and taxes have been paid. It would for me probably be the most expensive one of these.

So.....SA-1 or A90??? Any help will be apreciated.

Oh....by the way....I do like to read measurements and graphs, but how it sounds trumps measurements for me. But if it has both.....😂

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #134 of 2,579
The following is the maximum input without distortion at the maximum volume. no load:

When there is a load, it is about 10% lower.

When I see lower VRMS on a high gain, what do you mean by that? Does it means that on a high gain above 4.4VRMS there is some distortion? or this 4.4VRMS is on top of 15.5VRMS? :)

Mar 18, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #135 of 2,579
Hi. I'm a long time member but far between my posts. Generelly lurking and reading other members postings before I spam with same question again and again. But here I might med doing this anyway. 30 years of hifi obsession with plenty of stuff passed through, but never really got going with the world of head-fi.

I need advice on selecting a good amp for headphones and pre-amp for powered speakers(balanced). I have a list of three amps that I am interested in.

Singxer SA-1
Topping A90
Jotunheim 2

I live in Norway and due to shipping cost, unit cost and tax duties, these three all cost about the same for us here in Norway when importing them ourselves.

You can see my equipment so far in my signature I think. Hd560s and X3 will be run balanced. (both are new to me and I haven't much experience with them yet. Looking to expand and try other things in the future,

My preferences in sound:

I like detail, and am usually not bothered about so called treble peaky headphones like Beyerdynamics DT1990 and T90, having had both before.
I also kinda prefer sound depth over ultra wide soundfield. I dislike recessed mids, but also don't like pushed forward mids. If I have to commit to something it would be fairly detailed neutral/even sound from the top through the mids with a little hint...possibly just 1db...in the bass region. I also don't like overly warm sound. Have had my time with tubes(expensive ones as well), but the warm "fuzz" don't do anything for me.

I chose this thread because I think Singxer SA-1 might be closest to what I'm looking for after reading some of you guys experience with it.

I must also note that I like for speakers and headphones to show their character...not necessarily be colored(too much) by the equipment before in the chain. I like for them to show of their strenghts and weaknesses. This might make me a so-called "reviewer" instead of enjoying the music. I'm trying more and more to enjoy music rather than changing equipment all the time.

I'm a bit confused and really undecided of which amp to go for. I want something that kinda is an allrounder that don't need to be best at everything, but can work for multiple uses and headphones. I use the Kali Audio IN-5 as my powered desk-speakers. (Might have read that the SA-1 could have the better pre-amp over A90?)

As I have written this it might be clearer to me that the Jot 2 is not such a good deal as it will cost nearer to $600 when shipping and taxes have been paid. It would for me probably be the most expensive one of these.

So.....SA-1 or A90??? Any help will be apreciated.

Oh....by the way....I do like to read measurements and graphs, but how it sounds trumps measurements for me. But if it has both.....😂

Hi, I'm pretty sure others can give you more details, but I did a lot of researching those amps I can say that the general consensus for those 2 amps were, that A90 has rather very linear approach, where as SA-1 has warmer undertone (slightly more musical?).
From my perspective, I am definitely more interested in SA-1 due to that it has a warmer signature ("fun" session listening) than A90 and its linear approach.

In regards of measurements, if using Balanced output (Since SE output for SA-1 is possibly not that good), they both win. Possibly SA-1 on the balanced output have even better measurements, but on that level - beyond A90 measurements (SINAD above 120db) its just getting irrelevant and inaudible .

My personal decision is now coming to SA-1 or Burson Soloist 3x, which is of course way more expensive, but it also has some weird quirks with volume inconsistencies and some noise on high gain and even it seems on a mid gain, and also some altogether noise issues with some of those Omps that are included, so not sure if this price jump is worth it (if money counts).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back