Singlepower extreme - so many for sale right now, why?
Jun 20, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #91 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced setups had their FOTM with stereos years ago (late 90s). I guess headfiers are behind with that. Balanced setups are not the be all end all of speaker setups, but some prefer them. Some prefer single ended.

interesting point, but I still love the gear from companies like BAT and Ayre that have pressed the balanced thing to the limit (i.e. on the Ayre P-5xe you can reterminate your turntable as use it as a balanced input)

However, I'm not sure about the headphone balancing at all, I don't hear much difference other than the obvious 3dB volume increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OTOH, if you have the fund...I would buy the Extreme Platinum in a heart beat. The Extreme is a better bargain than the MPX3 if you want more bass and demand wider soundstage. Buying used SP amps are great deals because not only you will pay less, but also you won't have to wait 3 months for the amp to get build.

I think it depends on the MPX3. The SE is significantly better than the non-SE, and if you didn't need the added gain of the Extreme, I'd say the soundstaging and detail in the MPX3 SE is definitely worth its weight in gold over the Extreme. I agree with Frihed89 in that the MPX3 SE offers more flexibility in tube rolling, as there are distinct sounds with the MPX3 SE depending on input and output tubes, while the Extreme seems have a more similar sound across all the options.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #92 of 104
I wonder if the heat generated with the change of season had any part to play?

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #94 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Extreme is a tube roller's dream. I'm not sure what you mean.

Hey girl! Do you ever answer your email or PMs? I have a Woo WA5 for you if you're interested. You just might kinda wanna read my email and let me know. There's kind of a time issue.

Thanks

JD

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #95 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is pretty much the reason people sell what they have. I have sold dozens of some of the best audio gear made(both headphone and speaker) over the years. Not because they didnt sound great or work right...but because my system was changing and, or room size was changed. The Singlepower amps (along with many others for sale used) are VERY, VERY good. One mans loss is another mans gain. So of all the reasons for selling in this thread the one in your post that says..
People like what they like when they like it and then buy and sell when the mood strikes. Holds the most true.
In the first five pages of amps for sale there are
11 headroom
10 Ray Samuels
10 Mier
9 Singlepower
7 Headamp
amps for sale. No magic reasons. People either dont use them, found something they like more, need the money, or whatever.
They like what they like when they like it and then buy and sell when the mood strikes. If I was in the market for a headphone amp I wouldnt be wondering why the amps from these great builders are for sale....but how I can come up with the money to get one at used prices.

But no Wooaudio
580smile.gif

And... that... after all... is the point - that there are so few Woo Audio amps for sale!

You have to be a pretty "obsessive/compulsive type" to value the very slight refinement in SQ of the SP's, or any other $1000+ amp, over the great SQ of the Woo Audio or MAD, or perhaps, even the DarkVoice amps - at a $1000, to $4000+ premium.

I mean... can any really rational person... possibly justify such a lofty premium for ~10% refinement in SQ, if even that?

Of course not - you have to be a bit "obsessive/compulsive," or at the very least "overly impulsive" to spring for $1500 to $5000 for any headphone amp.

There is no possible way to truly... and rationally... justify such a premium.

Those that have finally come to that hard realization... are selling their's... at "sacrafice prices" that still command too great a premium for the small improvement in SQ!

Jul 7, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #96 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And... that... after all... is the point - that there are so few Woo Audio amps for sale!

You have to be a pretty "obsessive/compulsive type" to value the very slight refinement in SQ of the SP's, or any other $1000+ amp, over the great SQ of the Woo Audio or MAD, or perhaps, even the DarkVoice amps - at a $1000, to $4000+ premium.

I mean... can any really rational person... possibly justify such a lofty premium for ~10% refinement in SQ, if even that?

Of course not - you have to be a bit "obsessive/compulsive," or at the very least "overly impulsive" to spring for $1500 to $5000 for any headphone amp.

Those that have finally come to that hard realization... are selling their's... at "sacrafice prices" that still command too great a premium for the small improvement in SQ!

I really don't know if you're being serious, but.... The simple fact of it is, there are some people like myself (and others) who put a greater value in their audio experience than you. Consequently, we are able to and willing to spend more than you. That simply states that we have different priorities than you. From my standpoint, within the frame work of my life, I can and am able to afford what I have and thusly, I spend accordingly.

If you must continue with your assertion, then you must arrive at the conclusion that anything "hifi", whether it's headphone, clothing, cars, appliances, etc... are irrational.

Morever, even with respect to the headphone hobby, with regard to amps, I really don't think that the $500 is the "sweetspot" where diminishing returns kicks in, but a fair bit before that. Thusly, I'd call you irrational too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #97 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can really think you give a quantitative measure of the % of improvement? 10%, 20% etc... I dont think so.

I have many headphone amps and I dont see the need to go beyond $2k .... and usually $1k. But I also know that better amps at the $1k-2k price point are just better sounding and more enjoyable amps. I owned the Woo 3 and the Eddie Current HD300 and while these are good amps they dont compare to the better amps at $1k. I lost interest in them quickly. I like the Ear+ but the stock Ear+ just doent get to the level of any my SP amps. I just had an Ear+ Super built and hopefully this amp does.

The reason there may not be as many Woo amps for sale is there have not been nearly as many sold. But, in fact, there have been a good number of 3's sold on the for sale forum. It will be interesting to see how many Woo 6's come up for sale in the next few months.

Jul 7, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #98 of 104
Finally I can jump into this thread. I saw this thread awhile back (it may even have been a factor in one deal falling through), but didn't feel it would look right if I jumped in while my Extreme Platinum was still for sale. I thought it might look like I was trying to boost my sale. It has now been traded on very favorable terms that I am very happy about. And because that's gone, I have ordered a new Singlepower XLR, with active pre-amp outs to replace it. I think that is says a lot about my satisfaction with the Singlpower line.

First off, I've seen a lot of speculation on this thread. Some which I agree with and some which has seemed totally off. I stated it in my FS thread, but my reason for putting my amp up for sale had nothing to do with dissatisfaction with the Extreme Platinum (it's a great amp), nor was it because there was anything wrong with it.

At the International meet in San Jose, I discovered the wonderful qualities of high end balanced amps/headphones that I hadn't known about before. (My #1 goal for the meet was to listen to Edition 9s, single-ende and buy a pair if possible.) I was able to achieve this goal and more as I was able to purchase balanced Edition 9s and a very nice little balanced amp, RudiStor NX-33 (SE & balanced). With the NX-33, I was able to confirm that I both hear and appreciate a significant (not night/day) difference with the balanced topography. My Platinum was the better amp single-ended amp (but not by a big margin--the RudiStor has its own charm in it's natural quality) vs the RudiStor. But once I listened to the balanced output, the RudiStor was my favorite amp (balanced Edition 9s and now Bal Senn 650 help a lot). This is mostly what I have listened to since the meet.

As to the FOTM, not so in my case. I planned on keeping the Platinum for years, and probably would have if it wasn't for having the balanced Edition 9s. One of the first things I did was to check to see if the Platinum could be converted to balanced, but the case was too small. I have been extremily pleased with the RudiStor, but after hearing $4K-12K balanced amps at the meet I knew there was an even greater level of sound quality that could be had, if I could afford it. And I'd listen to the Platinum and could imagine what it would sound like balanced.

So I took a little while to firmly establish that my preference for balanced was holding steady. But I've consistently gravitated to the balanced set up and decided to put my Singlepower up for sale since I just wasn't listening to it. This has been a little hard until today, once I knew another tube Singlepower was on the way.

As luck would have it, no sooner did I put my amp up for sale (I really expected it to sell in a day or two), than another Platinum went up for sale. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that there were others like me who heard new things at the International meet (or read about the ravings from the rest of us) and started thinking about upgrading. At one time there were about 4 other amps around my pricepoint (1.5K-2K). I know by checking the posts of the others that at least one other person went for a higher end balanced set up--so that's 40% right there going to balanced. It would be interesting to know how many just got the upgrade bug. And some (I am thinking of one person in particular) just seem to have multiple amps and are just selling off to move up later--in this instance I'm thinking of I believe thay are planning to move up to a high very end Singlepower. 2 appear to be motivated by monetary need. And with some of the lower end amps (not the 5 I'm thinking of), I suspect the owners are just moving up the food chain.

Whatever the case there did seem to be a snowball effect, especially when there appeared to be one or two who seemed to need money quickly for who knows what reason. I think prices fell because of this. I looked at this and could feel little pangs of panic as I preferred to upgrade sooner than later. But I sat back (happily listening to my NX-33 so I wasn't hurting), and decided to wait the storm out rather than to sell for too low a price. I did have 3 "buy it now" offers that were off by as little as $75-1X, $100-125-2X, and the another offer which got pre-empted by a great trade coming in at the same time. So I could have easily sold the amp 4X over if I was willing to sell for slightly underpriced. And there was at least one other serious buyer who went with an amp priced a little lower than mine.

Now there is one thing that I have learned and that seems to be a factor. At the price I was at, near 2K, there are less buyers and it seems to be a more considered purchase. There is a more select field, and the potential buyers have the means to buy new and not deal with the potential downsides of buying used. I'm thinking of one person who appears to have bought a new amp, along the lines of mine. Maybe my upgrade set didn't match their preference, or just the security of buying new. Right now there is a great higher end SS amp on the FS Forum that doesn't appear to be moving (but as in my case who knows what is going on behind the scenes). I was seriously considering this amp once mine sold. My greatest consideration on that amp is that it didn't have the active pre-amp outs that I prefer. I imagine there are others like me who just want what they want and will pay extra to get that.

So I can't speak for the rest but that's my story. Rather than some of the wilder speculation, someone could have PMed me and asked.

As to some saying that over 1K-2K is crazy. Maybe. But some of us can hear the difference and place a value on having that difference for our own. I truly hear more out of the balanced set up and as long as there is a way for me to get there, I'll do it. And sometimes you get lucky. And I think there have been a good number of folks on the forum who have got lucky with Singlepowers recently in the FS Forum.

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #99 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can't speak for the rest but that's my story. Rather than some of the wilder speculation, someone could have PMed me and asked.

cool.gif
well said
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #100 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As to some saying that over 1K-2K is crazy. Maybe. But some of us can hear the difference and place a value on having that difference for our own. I truly hear more out of the balanced set up and as long as there is a way for me to get there, I'll do it. And sometimes you get lucky. And I think there have been a good number of folks on the forum who have got lucky with Singlepowers recently in the FS Forum.

Very interesting story and much as I suspected...I think it is time to update your sig...based on what I just read, no more for sale amp I think.
edition9mp6.png

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #101 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting story and much as I suspected...I think it is time to update your sig...based on what I just read, no more for sale amp I think.
edition9mp6.png

Thanks, I forgot the sig, but I was all over my profile.

Cheers

Jul 8, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #102 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. And the desire to revive my debating days will probably kill this thread, but here goes:

Your question, as I said, is a good one, but when you reach a conclusion that the amps aren't desirable without evidence to back up your assumptions, you are guilty of an inductive fallacy of speculative evidence, or reaching a hasty conclusion. If you conclude or assume a position by possibly relevant but incomplete evidence in support of your theory, you are guilty of coming to a hasty conclusion.

Also, if you ask the question, "Are the amps not desirable because people are selling them and no one is buying quickly?" and then answer with, "Yes, no one is buying them quickly and people are selling because the amps aren't desirable," you are guilty of Petitio Principii (begging the question). This is the fallacy of assuming, when trying to prove something, what it is that you are trying prove. Basically, you can't use what you are trying to prove as part of the proof of that thing.

It all comes back to evidence. If, for example, in three months time, no one was buying the amps and even more were sale, you might have something. If people started complaining about the sq, you'd have another. Add whatever else you choose. It all goes back to what a few of us were saying earlier. Questions are good. Speculation is natural, but jumping to conclusions is neither fair nor right...and poor logic to boot.

Interesting, but you might want to apply syllogistic reasoning instead. The major premise carries the burden of truth, and this is where the logic hiccups. It seems to me that MaloS is simply presenting it to us as an interesting occurrence and that others are assuming a causal relationship that he doesn't intend.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #104 of 104
Don't underestimate the fall off in the economy. I think some are just hard up for some cash right now and maybe an expensive headphone amp is a quick place to get out of debt for some?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back