Single Driver vs Multiple Drivers... My thoughts on the trend.
Sep 19, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #16 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the problem with making crossovers that work? Isn't is being done now? When does one work and other not work?

Well for one you add something in the signal path, another is that they are quite complex to build and trim.

If you take the FreQ MM line some people on this page complained about odd reverb and other artifacts, that was to my knowledge also because of faulty crossovers.

One of the reasons why the Westone 3 has not hit the market yet is supposedly because of the crossovers complexity.

I think it is pretty obvious when it works and does not work
happy_face1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #17 of 89
Here's the issue with armature and dynamics. They physically work differently and thus sound different. There's really no way for a armature to reach the same performance of dynamics but dynamics can reach the performance of armatures and then some. Combining armatures AND dynamics together in the same phones I think would probably be a pretty bad idea. First off, a lot of work would be needed to balance the two different types of drivers to create a coherent sound instead of sounding like two different types of drivers. Secondly, if you are going to have very good dynamic drivers, there would be no need of armatures in the same phones.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #18 of 89
Doesn't the Super.fi 5EB have a dynamic and a balanced armature?

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #19 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's really no way for a armature to reach the same performance of dynamics but dynamics can reach the performance of armatures and then some.

...and what is the proof of you said? The idea of believing dynamic must be better than armature (or vise versa) is silly because neither are in anyway perfect enough to totally replace each other. For example, while armature have problem of pumping out a lot bass and having a rather limited freq. resp. (in single configuration), dynamic transducer has the problem of miniaturization. If you look at one of the best dynamic in the IEM market, the MG4plus used in Future Sonics custom, it is still two to three times larger than a typical armature and costs as much as (or more than) a triple armature custom.

The real concern for the consumer should be cost and effectiveness and NOT which is better than which in regard to single vs. multiple or dynamic vs. armature configuration. If using triple armature can give you as good as a sound from a single dynamic but costing less, why not use three? Vise versa, if a single dynamic is better sound, than there is not need to use triple armature to do the job. However, the fact of life is, we still haven't have any single dynamic IEM that cost much less than multiple armature configuration while still capable of providing superior sound (what is superior is of course up for discussion, but at least the current market seems to suggest armature is still better for IEM). If Future Sonics is releasing an universal dynamic IEM that sounds and costs the same as Triple.fi or SE530, I am sure many will buy it, but that is what lacking in the current market. If you look at the currently highest priced universal dynamic IEM, the Sennheiser IE8, it still costs more than Triple.fi and SE530, while the actual cost and effectiveness is at this point questionable. Again, the real concern of the consumer is cost and effectiveness, not what configuration the IEM is in.

Quote:

Combining armatures AND dynamics together in the same phones I think would probably be a pretty bad idea. First off, a lot of work would be needed to balance the two different types of drivers to create a coherent sound instead of sounding like two different types of drivers.

About 2 years back before we have SA6 and Image X10, everyone thought that multiple armatures configuration is the only way to improve sound, and how wrong we have been proved to be. My point is, just because no one has spent enough time on it or done it right before doesn't mean it can't be done. At least we should not dismiss the possibility.

Quote:

Secondly, if you are going to have very good dynamic drivers, there would be no need of armatures in the same phones.

Vise versa, if we have very good armatures, there will be not need of dynamic as well. Isn't that the main trend of current (Western) IEM market?

Again, this goes back to the question of cost and effectiveness. If dynamic IEM is smaller, cheaper and better than what armature has to offer, the market will eventually follow. Argument of armature vs. dynamic or single vs. multiple drives is all good and fun, but in the end it is the value of a product that count.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't the Super.fi 5EB have a dynamic and a balanced armature?

Yes.

When it comes to IEM's I have yet to hear a single driver one sound better than the current top of the line multi driver ones.

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #21 of 89
Super.fi 5EB is actually dual balanced armatures. ARMATURE DRIVERS, not dynamic. Dynamics entails the use of a magnet, diaphram, and coils. Look at the frequency charts for ANY armature based driver and compare them to the frequency charts to a quality dynamic driver. The proof is right there. The range for armatures can not compare with a quality dynamic. Even multiple armatures can not reach the same ranges as dynamics. The good thing about multiple armatures is that one of the drivers can have heavier emphasis on the low end and the other for mid and high end. The fact that they can't truly dip as low on the frequency charts does NOT change even with multiple armatures.

What proof do I have? The proof that I have owned SA6, Ety 4S, Super.fi 5EB, Klipsch Custom-2s, and Ety 6i's. I've sold all of them except for the Custom-2s because they are very good for listening to jazz (due to their bias towards warmth, making rock music sound a bit mushy, I don't like using them for anything except jazz). I also own a few pairs of very good dynamic buds (I have a pair of of RE2s and my current favourite, Sony EX700). But you are definitely right about trends, the trend has been armatures but that's a big problem because they are great for picking up details but sound very very cold and if they sound warm, they sound too warm most of the time.

The REAL concern to consumers should be based on audio quality and you (ClieOS) are making a assumption that armatures are in the same league as dynamics. If you compare sound quality between same classed earphones, a pair of high end dynamics and a pair of high end armatures, the dynamics will often times sound much much closer to a full sized set of phones.

To make a comment on SA6 and Image x10s. I've owned the SA6s, they are detailed but far from being musical the way music should be heard. My experience with Klipsch is that they try to compensate for musicality by being biassed to a fuller warmer song which has a negative impact on the details. I'm sorry ClieOS, we're head-fiers thus we try to strive for the best SQ. With current technology, armatures do NOT compare well with similar class dynamics. Again, back to my original point, music is tuned for home speakers in mind, they are not tuned for headphones and certainly not for earphones. Full sized headphones are now mature enough to actually compare favouribly to speakers. What earphones have been trying to accomplish for the past couple of years is to bring the full sized headphone sound to miniscule earphone form factor. Dynamics have gotten remarkably close to a full sized headphone's sound but armatures have a sound all to themselves which unfortunately are more suitable for monitor use and have only recently sounded a bit more musical but still lags behind dynamics.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 89
Quote:

Super.fi 5EB is actually dual balanced armatures. ARMATURE DRIVERS, not dynamic. Dynamics entails the use of a magnet, diaphram, and coils. Look at the frequency charts for ANY armature based driver and compare them to the frequency charts to a quality dynamic driver. The proof is right there. The range for armatures can not compare with a quality dynamic. Even multiple armatures can not reach the same ranges as dynamics. The good thing about multiple armatures is that one of the drivers can have heavier emphasis on the low end and the other for mid and high end. The fact that they can't truly dip as low on the frequency charts does NOT change even with multiple armatures.

It is interesting reading your response because, in a way, with all due respect, you just told us you know very little of your own gears. I suppose you are probably being mislead by the wrong information posted on UE's website under 5EB spec section? Those info are copied from 5pro's page and UE forgets to made the necessary change. If you look at the graphical representation of 5EB on UE, you will notice there is only one armature and one dynamics. In fact, I have the link to the original 5EB patent here if you are interesting in reading more. Its title reads: In-ear monitor with hybrid diaphragm and armature design (US Patent 7194103).
ue5ebexploded.jpg

Here is freq. resp. of EX700
img157.gif

Here is freq. resp. of Atrio M5
img180.gif

Here is freq. resp. of TF10
img145.gif

Here are freq. resp. of E5c (blue) and UM2 (red)
img191.gif

In which part that you think that armature 'can't truly dip as low on the frequency charts does NOT change even with multiple armatures'? Please don't confuse bass impact (the ability to move a lot of air in bass note) to bass quality (the ability to reproduce bass note).

Quote:

What proof do I have? The proof that I have owned SA6, Ety 4S, Super.fi 5EB, Klipsch Custom-2s, and Ety 6i's...

..and I have E3c, ER6i, EP-630, CX300, iM716, MylarOne X3, SA6, RE2, RE1 TF10, EX700, q-Jays, EX85, SE530, Bijou 3 and currently an Atrio M8 on order. Owning more doesn't mean I know everything (in fact, the more I own, the more I realize I know very little of things), but to my opinion, none of the dynamic I own are better than my TF10 or SE530, which include RE2 and EX700.

Quote:

The REAL concern to consumers should be based on audio quality and you (ClieOS) are making a assumption that armatures are in the same league as dynamics. If you compare sound quality between same classed earphones, a pair of high end dynamics and a pair of high end armatures, the dynamics will often times sound much much closer to a full sized set of phones.

The only dynamic I know that is better than armature of its class is RE2 (under sub$100 category). For the best dynamic I have heard: RE1 need an amp to sound close (but not yet) to TF10 level, and EX700 doesn't even sound as good as a well amped RE1. It is not an assumption, it is an experience.

Quote:

To make a comment on SA6 and Image x10s. I've owned the SA6s, they are detailed but far from being musical the way music should be heard. My experience with Klipsch is that they try to compensate for musicality by being biassed to a fuller warmer song which has a negative impact on the details.

Sounding musical or not is a choice of musical preference, not an indication of SQ. Just because an IEM sounds musical doesn't mean is better in SQ than a cold sounding IEM. You might or might not like how an IEM is tuned to sound, but judging IEM's SQ simply based on whether it is musical or not is flawed in my eyes. In the speaker world, people often use flat freq. resp. as an indication of of good SQ. If we use the same standard in IEM, we won't need anything beside ER4S. Vise versa, if we use isolation to judge for SQ, than anything beside IEM will suck big time - and that is simply not the case!

Quote:

I'm sorry ClieOS, we're head-fiers thus we try to strive for the best SQ. With current technology, armatures do NOT compare well with similar class dynamics.

And who defines 'best' and based on what standard? Please give me an example of a top end dynamic IEM that sounds better than current armature of the same class, and tell me why it is so good that armature can't compete well with it?

Quote:

Again, back to my original point, music is tuned for home speakers in mind, they are not tuned for headphones and certainly not for earphones. Full sized headphones are now mature enough to actually compare favouribly to speakers. What earphones have been trying to accomplish for the past couple of years is to bring the full sized headphone sound to miniscule earphone form factor. Dynamics have gotten remarkably close to a full sized headphone's sound but armatures have a sound all to themselves which unfortunately are more suitable for monitor use and have only recently sounded a bit more musical but still lags behind dynamics.

Some music is mixed with speaker in mind, some don't. In fact, there are sound engineer who prefer to mix them music via headphone, thus you assumption that music is tuned for speaker in mind isn't very reliable.

Again, I'll go back to my question: Please give me an example of a top end dynamic IEM that sounds better than current armature of the same class, and tell me why it is so good that armature can't compete well with it? Also in this case, which dynamics IEM have gotten remarkably close to a full sized?

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #23 of 89
I don't think single-driver IEMs are on their way out, honestly.
There'll always be cheap-ish dynamic IEMs, and it wouldn't surprise me to see single-driver BA IEMs for quite a while, honestly.

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyer17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think single-driver IEMs are on their way out, honestly.
There'll always be cheap-ish dynamic IEMs, and it wouldn't surprise me to see single-driver BA IEMs for quite a while, honestly.

I thought that there is currently a trend of multiple drivers going back to single-drivers though.
The super.fi pros to the super.fi SA6s at that price range.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #25 of 89
My mistake on the Triple.fi 5EB. The bass however on those is muddy and lack definition though. Sounding musical is a very good judge of how good a pair of earphones are for listening to music. NOBODY in the recording industry uses headphones to MIX. The FINAL MIX is always done via STUDIO MONITORS a.k.a. stereo speakers. Name one album that has ever came out that is mixed using headphones. Monitoring via headphones is completely different from actual mixing. The brilliance of armatures is that they have a very tight sound so when you need to MONITOR specific details on your mix, they are excellent. However, listening to music, they are way too analytical and this is NOT how music is mixed to sound like. For OVERALL BALANCE that comes very close to what the produced mix on production albums are supposed to sound like, the EX700 and Shure 500s come very close. Thought he Shures are a little bass heavy while the EX700s has a slight issue with sibilance.

ClieOS, you are fooling yourself if you think that music is supposed to sound like how a pair of E3Cs, ER6is, SA6, or Q-Jays sound. I'm sorry, for picking at details, they are absolutely awesome, for reproduction of speakers, they sound nothing like a pair of speakers.

I find it ridiculous that you, ClieOS, is claiming that SQ dominates over musicality of music. We listen to music and studios mix music to enjoy the music, not to analyze the raw data like a computer. If SQ to you means crystal clear details but ice cold presentation such as the E3C, Jays, Etymotics, and eve the SA6, then I'm glad that most of us are deaf and dumb because I'll be the first to say, that is definitely NOT what music is supposed to sound like. Having to RELEARN how one listens to music is not how music is supposed to be heard. I'm in no way saying that stock iPod buds are good, but a good pair that compares well with a full sized set of phones.

Show me a armature driver that dips lower than 16hz. You won't find any. Dynamics can dip a bit lower than the 16hz armatures can go down to. Look at your charts, you have the frequency range starting from 20hz. Why don't you pull up some charts showing a phones full range? Your charts are obviously flawed as they do not show any of the frequencies that dynamics can dip down to and armatures can't.

It's ok ClieOS, if you think music is supposed to sound the way a pair of Etymotics, SA6, Jays, or any pair of Shures below e530s, then go right ahead. Like I stated on the 30+ page thread for the Beats, Head-Fiers should get off their high horses and face the truth, we pretty much have all heard enough quality music from good speakers to know what music is SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE. I'm not saying that armatures are not detailed, but there's a difference from detail-centric listening which is a NECESSITY for MONITORING purposes but sadly, most of them are not really suitable for musical listening. I've always scratched my head about how Etymotic claims that their ER-4S are what live music sounds like, because live music sounds NOTHING like that.

In closing, the Sony EX700s truly beats all the armature-based earphones EXCEPT for the Shure e530s. It's a bit of a trade-off with the EX700s as they have a slight issue with sibilance while the e530s has a bit of overpowering bass that muddies the highs. The EX700s also DO NOT need an amp as they are very very efficient but with an amp they gain the same benefits as any other pair that is fed through a decent amp. For UEs, I never liked their sound signature as either they are way too bassy or way too cold.

Also, to fix my earlier post, I actually own the RE1s, not he RE2s. That was a typo. RE1s sound magnificent amped and THEY SHOULD BE AMPED because they were made to be amped. You can't deduct points on a products intended use. For general purpose I still enjoy the EX700s the most as they sound great amped and unamped.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 89
Quote:

MNOBODY in the recording industry uses headphones to MIX. The FINAL MIX is always done via STUDIO MONITORS a.k.a. stereo speakers. Name one album that has ever came out that is mixed using headphones. Monitoring via headphones is completely different from actual mixing. ...

There are engineers who mix with headphone. There are techniques and hardware deployed / developed, plus articles that write about the issue regarding headphone for studio mixing, perhaps you should read this first before you conclude that no one is using headphone for studio mixing.

Quote:

ClieOS, you are fooling yourself if you think that music is supposed to sound like how a pair of E3Cs, ER6is, SA6, or Q-Jays sound. I'm sorry, for picking at details, they are absolutely awesome, for reproduction of speakers, they sound nothing like a pair of speakers.

Why must a pair of IEM be aiming for 'reproduction of speakers'? Music are meant to hear in live. Any time music is mixed and leaves the recording studio, there is no chance of the consumer to ever reproduce the same sound the audio engineer first mix and hear it (that is, the same sound the audio engineer 'think' what the consumer will listen to). It is the simple fact that the gears (and environment) used for music reproduction will be different from the studio, thus the same music will sound in different ways. An IEM is just another way of reproducing music, just like using headphone. In fact, the reason why so many head-fi'er listen to music via headphone is sorely because headphone provide a different sound signature than loud speaker. There are members here who own extremely good >$10K speaker and headphone setup, yet they still listen to headphone from time to time. If your theory is true, they should have abandon all their in house headphone gears.

You seem to assume people are using headphone in house because they can't get themselves a good speaker setup (or maybe it is me that read your replies in a wrong way). Do you even consider some are using headphone because they like how their headphone sounds in comparison to speaker? Again, it is the personal preference of musical reproduction that you didn't consider. It is NOT, however, how 'real' the music should sound, because as I said before, you can't actually reproduce the same sound as it was first mixed.

Quote:

...that is definitely NOT what music is supposed to sound like. Having to RELEARN how one listens to music is not how music is supposed to be heard. ...

As I said above, music should ultimately be heard in live. Any recording, mixing and processing means the music is twisted in one way or another. How does a consumer knows what the original music should sound like when it was mixed, tweaked, mastered, and *compressed, while these are all done in a specific studio under a specific set of gears? How does a consumer get that set of gears to faithfully reproduce the same music that was intended to be heard by the original audio engineer?

If an audio engineer is good at his/her job, I doubt that he/she will not consider that fact that music will be played under vastly different gears in the current digital music era during mixing and mastering.

*see below, factor 2.
Quote:

Show me a armature driver that dips lower than 16hz. You won't find any. Dynamics can dip a bit lower than the 16hz armatures can go down to. Look at your charts, you have the frequency range starting from 20hz. Why don't you pull up some charts showing a phones full range? Your charts are obviously flawed as they do not show any of the frequencies that dynamics can dip down to and armatures can't.

Factor 1:
Human have a hard time hearing sound below 100Hz. The lower it gets, that worst it becomes. In fact, the lowest of bass note is often being felt by our skin more than being heard, simply because our inner ears don't pick up vibration so low. In the application of IEM, the sound wave contacting surface is limited to the ear canal itself, which also severally limits the effectiveness of feeling the lower bass note. Also, ear canal is almost always sealed when using IEM, thus making the sensational reproduction of lower bass difficult as the transducer don't have big enough air space to vibrate at such a low note.

Factor 2:
Music is currently most commonly available as Compact Disc. Due to the physical limitation of CD storage and decoding method, music companies deploy a two-channel 16-bit PCM encoding at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate per channel (Red Book Standard), which results in wave data that contains audible frequency range of 20 Hz - 20 kHz and small enough to fit inside the 700MB CD storage space. Coupled with the consideration of most DAP and CD related gears in the market now do not have the capacity to reproduce sound below 20Hz (plus the fact that many people are buying / listening to lossy music or lossless music ripped from CD anyway), we can safely conclude that most music we listen to these days have no meaningful bass note lower than 20Hz encoding in the original data stream, thus whether armature or dynamic is capable of producing such kind of bass note is rather irrelevant.

*Even if we are talking SACD or DVD-A which utilizes a better sampling technique, you should know that they still limit the low end to around 20Hz, as most of the detail of the music is believed to be located at the higher region of sound spectrum.

On side note (and perhaps as the factor 3): Whether EX700 is capable of producing meaningful low bass note is actually very questionable since Sony's spec does not in any way provide tolerance value for their measurement. Even CNet UK question the authenticity of their claim. Don't really matter anyway, because of factor 2. The real problem is many IEM freq. range do not include tolerance value, which means one IEM can have 10Hz~149Hz + 40dB, 150Hz~8000Hz + 3dB, and 8001Hz~25000Hz + + 60dB, and still claim to be 10Hz ~ 25000Hz, which of course is ridicules. Freq. resp. with out proper tolerance value is as useless as it can be!

By combining the factors above, I don't think the measurement taken is flawed in any realistic / practical way.

Quote:

...we pretty much have all heard enough quality music from good speakers to know what music is SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE. I'm not saying that armatures are not detailed, but there's a difference from detail-centric listening which is a NECESSITY for MONITORING purposes but sadly, most of them are not really suitable for musical listening. I've always scratched my head about how Etymotic claims that their ER-4S are what live music sounds like, because live music sounds NOTHING like that.

I hold a very different opinion to yours.

The more I listen to different headphones and speakers setup, the more I do NOT know how music is "SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE". What kind of standard defines how music is 'supposed' to sound like? Are we talking about how the audio engineer 'think' we will hear the music when he/she is mixing the music?
Every time we use different gears to reproduce the music, it will sound differently (more or less) - hence there isn't any absolute standard on how music should sound, beside the listener's preference. (Referring back to my second paragraph of this reply)

Quote:

In closing, the Sony EX700s truly beats all the armature-based earphones EXCEPT for the Shure e530s. It's a bit of a trade-off with the EX700s as they have a slight issue with sibilance while the e530s has a bit of overpowering bass that muddies the highs. The EX700s also DO NOT need an amp as they are very very efficient but with an amp they gain the same benefits as any other pair that is fed through a decent amp. For UEs, I never liked their sound signature as either they are way too bassy or way too cold.

Also, to fix my earlier post, I actually own the RE1s, not he RE2s. That was a typo. RE1s sound magnificent amped and THEY SHOULD BE AMPED because they were made to be amped. You can't deduct points on a products intended use. For general purpose I still enjoy the EX700s the most as they sound great amped and unamped.

If you believe EX700 sounds better, than it is of course your opinion and I respect it. However, EX700 does not sound as good in my ears, and that is my opinion. It has a more microphonics cable that easily tangle up, you can wear it on over-the-ear style but the J cord design isn't particularly helpful in keeping the style, low isolation factor (which is what IEM is supposed to offer more), the bass is strong but doesn't go deep enough (a conclusion CNet UK seems to share), Soundstage isn't the best I heard in IEM, harshness in the 6~8kHz region, etc.

As for RE1, I do not recall Head-Direct mentioned in RE1 product page on anything about amping. In fact, as the first reviewer of RE1, I am the first to mention about the 150 ohms impedance (measured myself) and the need of amplification, before any spec was published or the actual sale began. The application of IEM is to provide good sound with isolation and mobility, if an IEM require amping to sound at its best, than the mobility factor will be lower thus it should be counted as negative.

One thing that I must draw your attention to is, to me, neither armature or dynamic are perfect, nor are both single and multiple transducers configuration. They all have their own pros and cons than can not be dismissed of, and neither of them have proved to be the 'end-all'. As I said in my second reply in this thread, "argument of armature vs. dynamic or single vs. multiple drives is all good and fun, but in the end it is the value of a product that count."

Until we perfected the IEM design (or maybe till I find my prefect IEM), I will not dismiss any possibility that either transducer's design or configuration will work, and I certainly won't limits myself to believe that musical taste doesn't play a role in finding that elusive perfect IEM design, or any headphone design in that matter.

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #27 of 89
dookiex, I've been involved in music most of my life and audio for close to 25 years. I've worked at high end audio shops and for a speaker manufacturer as well as going to school for audio engineering and I've been involved with high-end headphones now for over 6 years so I have a bit of experience. In my opinion if anyone needs to get off their high horse it's you.

You do realize that the average range of hearing is 20hz to 20khz don't you? And that's more of an ideal than a reality, the reality is as we age and are exposed to loud sounds we suffer an amount of damage that diminishes the range which we can hear. Bass below that range we can feel but it requires some serious air movement for that. Regardless of that, there are very, very few instruments that actually reach down even to 20hz. So with these things in mind you're argument about armatures not reaching down below 20hz is really rather pointless.

Speakers are not what music is supposed to sound like, live music is what music is supposed to sound like. Speakers are the standard which we got stuck with and unfortunately it is far from ideal, in fact the closest to an ideal for reproducing music I can think of would be an IEM playing back a binaural recording. As ClieOS stated though, all recoding and reproduction equipment is going to color the sound to one degree or another so the ideal really comes down to personal experience and personal preference.

If you think armatures can't sound as good as dynamics that's you're prerogative but that's not the case for everyone and apparently not even for yourself as you seem to exclude the Shure E530's from you're argument. There are plenty of Head-Fiers who have some serious equipment, both headphone and speaker related, that have UE-10 or 11 pros that believe they are right up there with some of the best sound they've heard. I've personally heard quite a few of the higher end universal armatures and some I quite like and some I'm only lukewarm on. I'm not big fan of the Ety's but I do love the Image X10's, SA6's, E530's and I quite like the Triple.fi's as well. In fact I'd take most of those over almost any other headphone I've heard.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dookiex, I've been involved in music most of my life and audio for close to 25 years. I've worked at high end audio shops and for a speaker manufacturer as well as going to school for audio engineering and I've been involved with high-end headphones now for over 6 years so I have a bit of experience. In my opinion if anyone needs to get off their high horse it's you.

You do realize that the average range of hearing is 20hz to 20khz don't you? And that's more of an ideal than a reality, the reality is as we age and are exposed to loud sounds we suffer an amount of damage that diminishes the range which we can hear. Bass below that range we can feel but it requires some serious air movement for that. Regardless of that, there are very, very few instruments that actually reach down even to 20hz. So with these things in mind you're argument about armatures not reaching down below 20hz is really rather pointless.

Speakers are not what music is supposed to sound like, live music is what music is supposed to sound like. Speakers are the standard which we got stuck with and unfortunately it is far from ideal, in fact the closest to an ideal for reproducing music I can think of would be an IEM playing back a binaural recording. As ClieOS stated though, all recoding and reproduction equipment is going to color the sound to one degree or another so the ideal really comes down to personal experience and personal preference.

If you think armatures can't sound as good as dynamics that's you're prerogative but that's not the case for everyone and apparently not even for yourself as you seem to exclude the Shure E530's from you're argument. There are plenty of Head-Fiers who have some serious equipment, both headphone and speaker related, that have UE-10 or 11 pros that believe they are right up there with some of the best sound they've heard. I've personally heard quite a few of the higher end universal armatures and some I quite like and some I'm only lukewarm on. I'm not big fan of the Ety's but I do love the Image X10's, SA6's, E530's and I quite like the Triple.fi's as well. In fact I'd take most of those over almost any other headphone I've heard.

X2!
And dookiex you really need to read up on the stuff you are talking about because most of it is based on wrong assumptions.

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #29 of 89
I definitely excluded the Shure e530s from my argument as they do come very close to the sound of a pair of full sized phones. However, their price range is also ridiculously out of range for them to be in the same class of SA6s and the ilk. Elnero, I pose this question to you, I've been going to jazz clubs and rock shows for 20 years. How does ANY of that live music sound ANYTHING remotely like a pair of SA6? I haven't heard the Image X10 yet but if the sound signature is similar to Custom-2s, then I'm not missing anything.

Basing your assumption that just because human hearing is not measurable for under 20hz and over 20khz it does not mean that they do not impact the sound. The extended range in both the low end and the high end indeed does have impact on the overall body of the sound.

Another question for elnero, what full sized phones do you actually have? I'm basing my comparisons to my Ultrasones Pro 650s and ProLine 2500s. I also still have a pair of HD595s, owned HD600s, and have a pair of V6s. Guess why I kept all of these and why these are highly rated, BECAUSE THEY HAVE THE FEEL OF LISTENING TO SPEAKERS along with the added bonus of having very good clarity. Because honestly, if you do much of your listening with full sized phones, it's a night and day difference when you compare the in-ears with full sized. From testing the Shure e530s they come remarkably close to full sized but they are RETAIL AT OVER FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS. The next step are the RE1s and the EX700s but the EX700s wins due to the fact that they are amazingly easy to drive.

Lastly, I pose this question, like bloody hell recorded music is going to sound like live music. But they do have their own sound. All this talk about listening to your music the way it's supposed to sound, isn't that all for naught if you are not hearing the music the way it was recorded? You're stating that I'm on a high horse when I'm restating what MANY people actually come on this forum, read all this hogwash, and then scratch their heads when they listen to a pair of UE or SA6 that they just bought due to recommendations. Scratching their heads going "Hmmmm, these sound kind of flat and boring, so THIS is what this CD is supposed to sound like?" Let's be honest with ourselves, we get lost on a lot of hogwash and lose sight of musicality and instead run with the rest of the herd and proclaim the detail-centric sounds of armatures.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #30 of 89
cool down guys.... lets just enjoy our gears and trust our ears... this armatures vs. dynamic, single vs. multiple drive or whatever argumnt is endless and it all comes down to our prefernce... i tried and i can easily afford se-530, TF10, or any full size + amp combo, the reason why im still using simple nokian91 + eh-350/ex85 combo as portable is because I like it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back