Single Driver vs Multiple Drivers... My thoughts on the trend.
Oct 11, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while i don't always agree with shigzeo (in other long winded thread
wink.gif
), but in the above 2 contex, i agree. i can write 100 pages testimony on how i love the sound coming out from my lovely SE530, when i present both my se530 and cx300 as a 'blind' test to my friend (without mentioning the price of both to avoid placebo), he could swear he love the sound from cx300. i brought him to a headphone shop, get him to try denon ck350, portapro, UM1, UM2, CrossRoad Mylar (something, i don't remember), Ety 6i, he insisted that CX300 is still the best, others just has not enough bass, he said ... what can i say?

my own experience, i heard a lot of good reviews about HD650, i know it has to be a good stuff, and i tried to love it as well, i kept trying whenever i had a chance, but i can't still convince myself that HD650 is better than SE530 (no offence to HD650 die hard fans). i will keep trying btw ...
beerchug.gif

in the case of shigzeo comment above, my preference is more into details, a little less bass is ok with me, i have audienced atrio m5, it's definitely the bass i've ever heard in my live so far, hard hitting, precise and low (good for shigzeo, he like trance, i like rock music), but again, it is not as much 'vibration' (good term! like what shigzeo said, thus a little less detail) as the se530 or even a lesser bass UM1 (armature). i think i'm leaning more towards armature 'color'. please don't scrutinized me with technical graphs, this is purely my preference
L3000.gif
For rock, jazz vocal, i'll use either 530 or UM1, for dance, disco, i'll change my gear to CX300 or PortaPro, Gwen Stefani's "Wind It" really blasting your head ....

so, the moral of the story is, sound is very very subjective, we can share experience of course but no point cursing that other people's ear is 'wrong', that's quite childish, i think
wink.gif

i'm also into photograhy, i found comparing picture quality is much easier than telling people what-you-think-you-hear, God!, this is hard! -- "ok, you find you camera is good, ok, can you send your picture, let me see, ah .., i don't like that, i'll buy the other one, simple.

that's my one cent, save your precious energy, just enjoy music ..... peace
beerchug.gif

asking somebody to blind test in ear phones is pointless because 95% of people will certainly tell when the se530 or the cx300 are in, so if somebody loves a certain set of phones they are going to have the vote on them.

over ear headphones are different because its difficult to feel the difference on your head.

so for me asking somebody to blind test in ears is never rock solid because its too easy to guess what phones are in your ears, if it was a test of cheap earphones then its harder because they are all the same shape and design.

a quick example of a poor blind test is the se530 vs triple fi, if anybody has the slightest clue about iem's they will know whats in thier ears and will usually always favour the set they own due to being used to that sound

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try a pair of the Sony EX700s Redbull
wink.gif
You'll be pleasantly surprised how good they sound AND they don't have the overwhelming bass.

Yes I had, sometime back, from Sony Style, but 'unfortunately', my personal preference said, somehow, i like the nature of the detail from my little armatures 530 and UM1 (on my most but not on all cases), arrgh, it's very subjective again. Anyway, since you highlighted it, if i had another chance, i will give it a try again, it's fun to try
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I think manufacturers have wised up and realized that they needed to go back to basics, instead of trying to fight the "King of the Details Hill" war that Etymotic originally started, they are going back to put musicality back into the equation.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, there's a million definitions of "Basic" from every camp, be careful ;P

Quote:

This change of direction have yielded some phenomenal kit with the highlights being SE530s and Atrio m5s and hopefully, the Sennheiser IE series. This climb up the audio quality hill has also pushed the major consumer brands to innovate as well which has provided us with Sony's EX700s. So single driver, multiple driver, dynamics, armatures, at the end of the day, I think the trend with whatever drivers will be lead by the sound that a company is trying to achieve.

Yeah ...

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
asking somebody to blind test in ear phones is pointless because 95% of people will certainly tell when the se530 or the cx300 are in, so if somebody loves a certain set of phones they are going to have the vote on them.

That's what i'm trying to say, sound is very subjective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
over ear headphones are different because its difficult to feel the difference on your head.

so for me asking somebody to blind test in ears is never rock solid because its too easy to guess what phones are in your ears, if it was a test of cheap earphones then its harder because they are all the same shape and design.

a quick example of a poor blind test is the se530 vs triple fi, if anybody has the slightest clue about iem's they will know whats in thier ears and will usually always favour the set they own due to being used to that sound

Sorry not to make myself very clear, what i meant was 'blind' test over the price, he doesn't know which one is more expensive than the other, not physical, that's why i put quote on 'blind' because it's not really physical.

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #81 of 89
Correct me if I'm wrong Redbull, you used a "layperson" for the blind test am I correct? Basically a person that is not versed in audiophile equipment thus is basing their view strictly from what they are hearing, yes?

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you'd be reaching very far there. The RE1 already eliminates many of the issues on the TF10 and does a good job of challenging it. If it was given the treble BA seems to provide? "Trashing" the TF10 at that point wouldn't be too far-fetched to ask for. If it continues to be cheaper too, it could be a major hit.

Maybe we'll see an RE0 up for review in time?
beerchug.gif

So the re0 really came...

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #84 of 89
to be clear all of the following is mearly a personal opinion.
i have just purchased some sennheiser IE6's due to finantial limitations after testing the IE8's, i have used armature driver earphones of both single and multi driver variants. after really thinking about it i dont nead to hear my music on such a clinical level, infact i dont want to. i fell i have become disconected with the feel and emotion of music due to putting it under a microscope all the time, i want music to do as the artist intended and invoke feelings. i there for deliberatly went for a dynamic IEM with the understanding that they provide a warmer full more alive reproducion insted of somthing so synthetic and robotic and the soundstage is staggering for £90. i think that i have made the right choice for me. i still use my old shures and UEs from time to time but for every day use i dont want to be so attentive to detail i just want to be absorbed.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #85 of 89
In my experience i personally feel single drivers sound much better.
Having owned Super fi 5 pro,Shure Se420 in twin drivers and countless single driver models i get so much more enjoyment from my Se310 which i rate higher than either twin driver i have had,even prefering them to the Se530.
I haven't used my 5 pro for ages.
And recently i got a pair of Er4p's which i love to use when i want detail.
And there is also the argument that when you pay a lot of money for a twin driver and it only lasts a few days,weeks etc it becomes even more of a good idea to stick at what works for you.
I love all my iem's in different ways but imo my Se310 is the best iem on the market,crisp sound,completly un-fatigueing and when i rock out no other iem comes close to the joy i get.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #86 of 89
I don't know how speaker technology works, but it's interesting to note how good a single driver can sound. I have a Tivoli Model Two table radio I use. It has single-driver 3" speakers, and they sound great. The single-driver Klipsch Image X5's I just got have single drivers, and they sound great too. So I guess I'm falling into the single-driver camp.

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by phnx90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone got the new Apple in-ears yet?
About the only thing I know is that they have a wider freq range than do my SE530s.

The only thing you know is Apple claimed it to have a wider freq range than SE530, and we all know manufacturer's spec are almost always misleading
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #89 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing you know is Apple claimed it to have a wider freq range than SE530, and we all know manufacturer's spec are almost always misleading
wink.gif

And it doesn't matter, 95% of human ears can hear below 20hz, why go lower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back