Simple Ultrasone HFI-780 mod to increase bass (May also work on other models)
Mar 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #61 of 70
Quote:
Yes I have other headphones, just recently acquired the V Moda M80's (shocker there). IMO the comparison is not even fair. The bass in the M80s is 100000x that in my 780's. However, I do think it sounds a bit muddied and is a little too warm for my liking, but nonetheless is thunderous relative to the 780's. Even when I wore the crap headphones apple gives you with an iPod, the bass on those sounded at least 1.5x as powerful as that on my 780's. I mentioned this before, but to me, my 780s sound(ed) exactly like my desktop speakers sound, but when I unplug the subwoofer... I uncovered all of the holes on the 780's and there definitely seems to be more bass, but it feels a little bit "airy" - definitely still has the punch but rather than increasing the strength of the punch (which is what I was hoping for) it kind of fills the cans with deep, airy sound, somewhat muddying the rest of the sound. Covered one hole back up on each side and it sounds a bit less airy without losing too much umph, so I've found my eq'm for these headphones, but do still wish they had more bass. Perhaps the 580's was the way to go? 

There is definitely something wrong with your headphones. I dont think anyone in the world would find apple basic earphones to have more bass than a pair of stock, but properly working, HFI-780s. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #62 of 70
So I found another person with them and listened to his and we determined mine were definitely defective. His sounded infinitely better in all regards. Didn't even sound like the same headphones. Problem unfortunately solved.

May 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #63 of 70
Thanks for sharing this mod. I've been listening to my set for a long time already and thought I'd open up another hole today.

The funny thing now is that, from my initial impression, they got a little brighter and rather more clear than punchy. I'm using the Edition 9 earpads though, maybe that makes a difference. The soundstage seems to be extended a little too. If it doesn't turn out to be fatiguing definitely an improvement :)

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #65 of 70
  Yes I have other headphones, just recently acquired the V Moda M80's (shocker there). IMO the comparison is not even fair. The bass in the M80s is 100000x that in my 780's. However, I do think it sounds a bit muddied and is a little too warm for my liking, but nonetheless is thunderous relative to the 780's. Even when I wore the crap headphones apple gives you with an iPod, the bass on those sounded at least 1.5x as powerful as that on my 780's. I mentioned this before, but to me, my 780s sound(ed) exactly like my desktop speakers sound, but when I unplug the subwoofer... I uncovered all of the holes on the 780's and there definitely seems to be more bass, but it feels a little bit "airy" - definitely still has the punch but rather than increasing the strength of the punch (which is what I was hoping for) it kind of fills the cans with deep, airy sound, somewhat muddying the rest of the sound. Covered one hole back up on each side and it sounds a bit less airy without losing too much umph, so I've found my eq'm for these headphones, but do still wish they had more bass. Perhaps the 580's was the way to go? 

Your 780's are broken, this should have been pretty self-explanatory based on your comparison to apple earbuds.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #66 of 70
Tried this mod just now on the Pro750 and it works. In the Pro750 only 2 holes are covered, leaving one uncovered increases the bass nicely. Not sure yet if I leave it like this, it's nearly too much bass for me, depending of the genre of music I am listening to. But still a refined bass, not boomy.

May 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #67 of 70
5 month revival here, but I was just opening mine up and noticed that only the left side has the green PCB; I presume this is normal?

I've sent my set in for repairs like 3 times and they havent fixed my issue, which is that when there is a lot of bass the left side sounds like something is loose and shaking inside... related possibly?

May 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #68 of 70
  5 month revival here, but I was just opening mine up and noticed that only the left side has the green PCB; I presume this is normal?

I've sent my set in for repairs like 3 times and they havent fixed my issue, which is that when there is a lot of bass the left side sounds like something is loose and shaking inside... related possibly?

Maybe you can fix the PCB with some hot glue or something else.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #69 of 70
Last post was 4+ years ago, but I wanted to chime in on a relevant item.

Ultrasone has recently released the successor to the HFI-780, the "Pro 780i". In many ways the Pro 780i is similar to the HFI, but it does seem that Ultrasone has made some minor changes. For example, instead of a pacman looking sticker on the driver, there is more of an opaque glue.

Just like the HFI, the Pro 780 has 3 holes covered on the driver. However, this bass mod does not work on the Pro 780i. Uncovering additonal holes just greatly increases the treble without increasing bass. With 3 holes uncovered the treble starts to become painful. Just wanted to put this here to save others time if they are looking to mod the pro 780i.

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #70 of 70
Do not do it, if you like your bass nuanced instead of a one-tone muddy boom. I tried it in pro 750, and the same result. This thread makes you appreciate their original forms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back