Simple Ultrasone HFI-780 mod to increase bass (May also work on other models)
May 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:
Sorry, I know this is really late.

I don't think it would matter, but I never really tested.

Thanks, I was so tempted to try the mod I did it the day after posting my question :D I also did this mod later to a fully burned in pair of HFI-700 (I don't think they sound that sibilant compared to a half-way burned in HFI-780 but still, out of curiosity, did the same mod to them). It doesn't matter which hole is covered, the result is the same.

Quote:
It's amazing how many people don't consider this mod. I come from a Grado background, so modding is no new territory. Besides, this is just the Grado hole punch mod Ultrasone style. I think they do this mod to the ATH-ADX00 series too.
I just did this on my 300+ hour 780s after I stuck some DT250 velour pads on them -- the bass suffered! Naturally I had to try this mod, and it brought my bass back! But even without the velour pads, I felt like the bass of my 780s had settled down quite a lot after burn-in.
I hope this mod gets more exposure, given the popularity of the Grado hole punch mod.

I much prefer pleather over the Beyer velour pads as the change they make is rather too much to sacrifice for their comfort, although some might say they never notice any changes switching to velour (and personally I don't find pleather uncomfortable). If you don't have problem wearing pleather, switching back to the stock pads can make the bass and overall PRaT even better on the 780.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #21 of 70
Now the pro 900 can have it's amazing mid bass and as much sub bass as the d5k! 
L3000.gif

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #26 of 70
The drivers blew (by themselves actually) and then when they fixed it the left ear stopped working and the right driver was also a bit weak. Been a bad run of luck I've had them so little I'm not even missing them which is sad

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #27 of 70
I really hope they can actually fix them if not they assured me they would replace them...they have been really cool about it but $50 worth of shipping later and no ultrasones i'm not the happiest. You think they would accept a trade in if I wanted to trade up to the edition 8s? 

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #28 of 70
Quote:
The drivers blew (by themselves actually) and then when they fixed it the left ear stopped working and the right driver was also a bit weak. Been a bad run of luck I've had them so little I'm not even missing them which is sad

That sounds like something else could have been a factor. I don't know the extent of their RMA process, but if you had a bad wire or port causing a short, that could have lead to the issues. I've voided warranties for the sake of "free" performance more times than I can count. I've volt modded video cards, hacked up cases, drilled holes in headsets, dropped LN2 on CPUs for overclocking runs, fabricated my own heatsinks for computer parts, it's all just good fun. I'm not worried about them breaking. If they do, I'll see how nice Ultrasone are with their warranty. If they refuse, I'll see if I can fix it myself. If not, oh well. I new the risks when I started. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #29 of 70
Yeah I think when I sent them in something else went wrong because they came back sounding worse then when they left! Hopefully whatever their RMA process is it works better then it did before lol. I would love to be as bold with my DIY projects as you are with yours, do you know how to solder? if so how did you learn? 

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #30 of 70
Yeah, I know. I just taught myself. All the stuff I mentioned above I did in high school. I worked and didn't have anything to pay for, so I just had cash to blow all the time. But, I started soldering when I was like 13ish when I was into remote control airplanes and cars and such. You can get training PCB kits that are made for teaching how to solder on circuits, if you want to learn. The only way you can is to do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back