Simple and cheap, easy to make headphone stand
May 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

atbglenn

Headphoneus Supremus
I made this headphone stand in about an hour out of 1/2" copper pipe and fittings. I used 3/4" Plywood for the base with iron on laminated wood edges. Sprayed it with flat black paint and thats it
smily_headphones1.gif
I think it looks kinda cool. It still needs another coat of paint....Just an idea for you guys not wanting to spend a fortune on a headphone stand.

DSC_0918.jpg

UPDATED
Slightly modified (nicer hex coupling at the base, plus a second coat of paint.

DSC_0919.jpg

May 17, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 25
I love the Woo stand. But it's $75 plus shipping. I made mine for free using stuff I had lying around my house. At some point I will purchase the Woo. It is a beautiful, well made piece.

May 17, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the Woo stand. But it's $75 plus shipping. I made mine for free using stuff I had lying around my house. At some point I will purchase the Woo. It is a beautiful, well made piece.

Why? Yours looks just as good judging from the picture and being homemade makes it that much cooler.

May 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 25
I used to use a DIY stand similar to the above. However, I've been chatting to some fellow members who make their own stands - specific to the headphone in question - so as to minimize the pressure on the weakest points, as well as mitigate the risks of stretching/modifying the shape and fit....which makes perfect sense, seeing as how fit is of utmost importance for both comfort and sound quality (case in point being the W5000).

I am now looking into making stands for my headphones which are tailor-made for them; perhaps a little pedantic but I think it may be worth the effort in the long run. (especially for those using $1000+ headphones!)

For now, they're in their original boxes when not in use
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? Yours looks just as good judging from the picture and being homemade makes it that much cooler.

Thanks for the positive comment
smily_headphones1.gif
I really appreciate it.

May 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 25
Great job atbglenn! I'll give that a try myself. I'd rather have yours for the few bucks it cost than the woo for $75.

Thanks for sharing!

May 17, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great job atbglenn! I'll give that a try myself. I'd rather have yours for the few bucks it cost than the woo for $75.

Thanks for sharing!

Roger,

I'm glad I could help. Why spend tons of money when you can do it yourself. Be creative! It's not that hard at all. Soon I'll be coming out with a MK2 version. HAHA
smily_headphones1.gif

Glenn

May 17, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 25
/me think it looks quite nice.
Good job!

May 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 25
Its nice...but its not a Woo...lol
wink.gif

But it is in front of a Woo amp in the picture.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, any special polishes?

You don't want to polish a flat finish. It would totally screw it up
wink.gif

May 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its nice...but its not a Woo...lol
wink.gif

But it is in front of a Woo amp in the picture.
smily_headphones1.gif

True it ain't no Woo, but it still does the job
biggrin.gif

Glenn

May 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 25
I prefer yours to the Woo hands down.
The Woo is too fiddly looking.

Both stands lack something like leather wrap around the headphone branch. If only for the sake of finishing and protection of the both paint job and cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back