Similar to Bose QC15?
Jan 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
I'm not sure of the idea of burn in. Do all headphones typically have a burn in period?

Burn-in is a controversial subject. Some people believe that the headphones "burn-in" which means the drivers loosen over a period of time of use, like breaking in a new pair of leather boots. Others believe your brain simply gets used to the sound signature of the headphones. Either way, there will be a period where your headphones won't sound as good in the beginning, but over time, you will start to really like them.

Jan 8, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 27
It is generally accepted (I use the word "generally" so as not to start a flame war with skeptics) that for most headphones, a burn-in period of about 100 hours is usually when a headphone will have reached its full potential. However (questions about the existence of burn-in aside), some cans take up to 300 hours or more, and some sound the same right out of the box that they always do. I personally believe in burn-in from testing two white-boox Audio-Technica ATH-M50s side-by-side (after a friend bought one new) and finding the mids much fuller and the bass more controlled on my pair than their new ones.

Sincerely,

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 27
Thanks ssrock64!!

Quote:
It is generally accepted (I use the word "generally" so as not to start a flame war with skeptics) that for most headphones, a burn-in period of about 100 hours is usually when a headphone will have reached its full potential. However (questions about the existence of burn-in aside), some cans take up to 300 hours or more, and some sound the same right out of the box that they always do. I personally believe in burn-in from testing two white-boox Audio-Technica ATH-M50s side-by-side (after a friend bought one new) and finding the mids much fuller and the bass more controlled on my pair than their new ones.

Sincerely,

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #21 of 27

Quote:

Sincerely,

Have you done blinded (or even better, double blind) ABX testing to confirm this? 

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
Have you done blinded (or even better, double blind) ABX testing to confirm this? 

Yes, I did a blind test with mine and my friend's. I had just gotten new earpads on mine, too, so they felt the same on my head. While it was nowhere near a night-and-day difference, I can honestly say that the mids were less forward and the bass was less controlled on the new set.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 27
Just throwing my two cents in, I wear glasses and i find the massive plush pads of my Brainwavz HM5 very comfortable. They also seem to isolate from noise quite well. It has a neutral sound to it with a pretty nice soundstage. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Just throwing my two cents in, I wear glasses and i find the massive plush pads of my Brainwavz HM5 very comfortable. They also seem to isolate from noise quite well. It has a neutral sound to it with a pretty nice soundstage. 

Does the HM5 come with velour pads as an accessory (I didn't think it did, but I'm just checking). From what I've heard, velour is better for glasses.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
Does the HM5 come with velour pads as an accessory (I didn't think it did, but I'm just checking). From what I've heard, velour is better for glasses.

The HM5 do not come with velour pads unfortunately, just a spare set of leatherette pads. The Fischer Audio FA-003 however come with a spare set of velour pads, and as far as I have read here they should be the exact same headphone. However the Fischer's should be a bit more expensive. I think you can order the velour pads separately though and they should fit the HM5 just fine.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
The HM5 do not come with velour pads unfortunately, just a spare set of leatherette pads. The Fischer Audio FA-003 however come with a spare set of velour pads, and as far as I have read here they should be the exact same headphone. However the Fischer's should be a bit more expensive. I think you can order the velour pads separately though and they should fit the HM5 just fine.

Oh, don't worry. I already own the FA-003.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 27
Active noise cancelling doesn't work so well. If you can't find closed headphones that fit you then you should look at in the ear canal earphones(IEMs). Some low priced IEMs isolate very well. The $59 Etymotic mc5 is one of the best lower priced isolating IEMs. I guess it probably isolates better than any full sized headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back