Similar sound to Er6i
Jun 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Onza

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm looking for an iem with a similar sound to the Etymotic Er6is but with more sparkly treble and slightly more bass. I already own the ER4-s but I don't like the sound of them out of any of my DAPs + amp. Any suggestions?

I have two additional questions.

Are the HF5s a good fit for what I'm looking for?

Do the ER4-Ps have a fuller bass response than the 4-S?

Cheers

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 7
To me, the word musical is misleading and people shouldn't really use it like they do now. What exactly do you mean by musical? I think you mean a specific kind of sound signature.... one that is more prominent in the mids and bass.... which is what I think of when people say musical; something that carries "weight" to the music and helps you feel emotion.

Technically aren't all phones musical? But instead of musical you should probably specify what you mean. Didn't mean to get off topic but... yea... people interpret musical different and you might get different answers.

But to answer your question, the RE0s have great treble, mids, and bass but they don't emphasize on the lower frequencies. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
To me, the word musical is misleading and people shouldn't really use it like they do now.

I agree, everyone seems to have a different idea of what 'musical' constitutes so it loses it's credibility.

On topic: If you're asking for a comparison between those three iem's I prefer the re0 and hf5 to the er6i, both have a touch more bass (re0 a bit more) and very sparkly highs. Neither are bass heavy so i think you'd like them. I have tried the er4s but never with an amp so my opinion of those is not very useful, i've never tried the er4p but they are apparently quite similar to the hf5, allbeit with a higher impedance.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 7
@Young Spade Regarding 'musical' I was referring to the definition:

"Musical (or musicality) - A sense of cohesion and subjective "rightness" in the sound." from http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

I guess the term could be misleading, but I was pretty clear what I was asking :) And yes all phones are 'technically musical' but if we were to start down that road we could be here a long time! 

Back on topic, the re0 do sound like they'll be right up my street, now to track some down in the UK..

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 7
No I knew exactly what you were saying, I was just stating that HERE, on these forums, you should be cautious when using that word because a lot of people misinterpret that meaning :/

But yea man, I know you know what you're talking about; and I think the RE0s are a great choice; you'll love them :)
Very detailed and accurate; people state their some of the best phones you can get at that price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back