Simgot IEM discussion thread.
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #301 of 361
What's with the burn-in thingie?

I've been in this hobby since 2006 or thereabouts and literally had hundreds of sets (still have 150+) and never ever have I noticed the sound change after a period of use. Never.

I can definitely understand a device mechanically loosening up or getting to the proper tolerance needed but the drivers in IEMs are so small and light there's not much that can gain optimal elasticity or whatever else. I don't think it's measurable in IEMs, otherwise it would show up on a graph.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #302 of 361

I've been in this hobby since 2006 or thereabouts and literally had hundreds of sets (still have 150+) and never ever have I noticed the sound change after a period of use. Never.

I can definitely understand a device mechanically loosening up or getting to the proper tolerance needed but the drivers in IEMs are so small and light there's not much that can gain optimal elasticity or whatever else. I don't think it's measurable in IEMs, otherwise it would show up on a graph.
Not entirely related, but there was one guy on Reddit measuring his E500 after months (or year. I don’t quite remember), the FR did change quite a bit.

Fun anecdote. Anyhow, yeah we can do the experiment, but it’s quite easy to mess up the experiment procedure as a small shift in positioning of the iem in the coupler and change both FR and distortion measurements, invalidating any tiny change that burn in might make.

Final Audio does recommend you to spend some time before judging because your ears need to be adjusted to the new sound. That’s why A/B/A tests are very useful at highlighting the differences, but you need to listen an IEM by itself for a while to really “get it”.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #303 of 361
That’s why A/B/A tests are very useful at highlighting the differences, but you need to listen an IEM by itself for a while to really “get it”.
Also not recommended,
if you wish to listen to headphones/IEMs that cost $50 and those 3k-4k,
and keeping the same excitement and enthusiasm while listening to any of them :)

Cheers!

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #304 of 361

Pretty sure Tyll busted the burn-in myth. He kept a pair of full-size headphones on a rig for a month or so and kept sweeping them. All he detected was a slight change in the atmospheric pressure due to time of day/temperature.

While I have measured a change in driver suspension compliance for loudspeaker drive units, the burn-in can be performed in minutes by introducing a high level signal which makes the diaphragm do a few swings near Xmax.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #305 of 361
Here's a review of the Simgot EA500LM: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-ea500-lm.26966/reviews#review-33124

EA500LM 1.jpeg

Pros:
Decent accessory line-up
Solid build, elegant aesthetics
Comfortable
Easily driven
Above average isolation
3 tuning nozzles to bestow versatility in tonality
Well-balanced on gold/red nozzle
Excellent technicalities, good soundstage width and imaging
Natural timbre

Cons:
Mirror-like finish may be prone to smudges or scratches
Shouty/harsh on black-silver nozzle
Not for bassheads
Bass could do with a touch better texturing

Simgot EA500LM Final.jpg

Graphs of the EA500LM via IEC711 coupler. 8 kHz is a coupler artefact.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #306 of 361
Not entirely related, but there was one guy on Reddit measuring his E500 after months (or year. I don’t quite remember), the FR did change quite a bit.

Fun anecdote. Anyhow, yeah we can do the experiment, but it’s quite easy to mess up the experiment procedure as a small shift in positioning of the iem in the coupler and change both FR and distortion measurements, invalidating any tiny change that burn in might make.

Final Audio does recommend you to spend some time before judging because your ears need to be adjusted to the new sound. That’s why A/B/A tests are very useful at highlighting the differences, but you need to listen an IEM by itself for a while to really “get it”.
I would attribute changes in the graph done by a casual like myself to user error. Measuring rigs are so sensitive to placement that even a 0.5mm in insertion depth affects the measurement.

Unless this measurement was done in a proper lab I wouldn't trust it one bit. FR graphs on Squig done by different people vary wildly in how they look, and while I could enumerate several factors as reasons for this variance and I'm pretty sure burn-in is not one of them.

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #308 of 361
Simgot EA2000.png

Simgot EA2000

What can be said about bass according to the graph?
Lots of it, not enough, weak, strong...etc.

From what I can see/read, I would say the bass is the weaker side of the EA2000.
Is that correct?

Cheers!

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #312 of 361
Also not recommended,
if you wish to listen to headphones/IEMs that cost $50 and those 3k-4k,
and keeping the same excitement and enthusiasm while listening to any of them :)

Cheers!
One does not simply audiophile without compartmentalizing all of the things

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #313 of 361
Little comparison between the EA500LM and the EM6L...

But before that...

1. Using a tripowin modular cable on the EM6L and a Dunu Duw-02 on the LM. I don't really buy into cables changing sound. I just switched cables as I prefer using 4.4mm and for comfort around my ears.

2. Best eartips for me - Dunu S&S on the LM and Radius Deep Mount Clear on EM6L. Tips chosen based on fit in my ear which was affected by the weight and construction of the iems as well as the nozzle size. I couldn't get a good seal and stability with the S&S on the EM6L. I also felt that the S&S kept the nozzle tip too far away from my eardrum and that little distance meant a little more sibilance. The Radius Deep Mount dialled that in by allowing a deeper insertion. There's still some bite to the EM6L with the Radius tips but at an enjoyable level for me. The S&S on the LM squeezed out as much depth of soundstage from this iem as I think is possible... Just the slightest bit of extra decay particularly vocals.

Now to the iems:

Bass: the LM is the clear winner here, greater presence impact, resolution and texture. Not that the EM6L is not bad by any means. It's just better on the LM if bass is your focus.

Mids - I enjoy both... very slightly warmer on the LM, greater clarity and resolution in the EM6L. There's not much in it.

Treble - for the trebleheads the EM6L wins out here, with the right tips and fit. The EM6L is slightly brighter and more resolving in a way that I really enjoy. The LM is less exciting but it's well controlled if you like more relaxed treble. I like both depending on my mood

Soundstage and imaging - EM6L takes it but as I said above, the S&S tips really get the best out of the LM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back