silvercore
Apr 17, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I learned here at Head-Fi, especially with products from HeadAmp and Single Power, can't just go with the impressions of the review, it's important to know what's inside the Box to truly know if it's worth XXX amount of dollars. And Audio being so subjective, when someone says I have so many years and it sounds blah blah, still has little meaning to me.

Excuse me? HeadAmp's amps are among the best values on the market, even if you're simply doing a cost of parts calculation.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse me? HeadAmp's amps are among the best values on the market, even if you're simply doing a cost of parts calculation.

If you say so... Another thing learned on Head-Fi, there is a lot of bias also. Another good reason to actually see internals of these Amps.

No power source, just a WallWart. $399 without shipping, you and I differ in opinions on what good value is. In terms of design, great, whatever, it's a headphone Amp, not exactly complicated. Cost of parts, yeah that doesn't look like $400 worth of parts, far from it. Brand loyalty will always exist, which is why I believe internal pictures of these headphone amps are important when making a decision.

Untitled-6-1.jpg

@OP, yeah it's not like I have the thousands to buy the Silver yet. But always nice to have things to look forward to save up for in the coming years. If you don't want to risk showing internals, that's cool. Hopefully some pics will be released in the future.

For example, Zana Deux looks awesome!

hero_inside.jpg

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #20 of 161
Quote:

Cost of parts, yeah that doesn't look like $400 worth of parts, far from it.

You're conveniently not picturing the casework, which contributes a large amount to parts cost.

Fail.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 161
Quote:

If you say so... Another thing learned on Head-Fi, there is a lot of bias also. Another good reason to actually see internals of these Amps.

No power source, just a WallWart. $399 without shipping, you and I differ in opinions on what good value is. In terms of design, great, whatever, it's a headphone Amp, not exactly complicated. Cost of parts, yeah that doesn't look like $400 worth of parts, far from it. Brand loyalty will always exist, which is why I believe internal pictures of these headphone amps are important when making a decision.

Untitled-6-1.jpg

@OP, yeah it's not like I have the thousands to buy the Silver yet. But always nice to have things to look forward to save up for in the coming years. If you don't want to risk showing internals, that's cool. Hopefully some pics will be released in the future.

For example, Zana Deux looks awesome!

hero_inside.jpg

What do you mean by worth? What markup is acceptable to you. 0%? You fail

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #22 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirtaspants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're conveniently not picturing the casework, which contributes a large amount to parts cost.

Fail.

Yes that's why I buy an Amp. So I can have a nice decorative piece of metal on my table.

Fail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by worth? What markup is acceptable to you. 0%? You fail

Reasonable. As this is purely just for cost of labor. For other products like the Zana, I can see charging more for the research and original design, but HeadAmp's is none of those. 2 years of research, whatever it's Gilmore's free to use design.

As to the Silver, I am not saying whether it's worth 4000 Euros or not, but it's nice to see why it's being charged that price. As for worth, well that's personal. As I said before in response to Grawk, he and I differ on what is good value, we all come to our belief of what is reasonable to pay for.

Example, I can understand why Whiplash Audio is selling their MiniMax for $399, and to me it makes sense. Also one of the reasons why I am interested in it, to me it seems to be a great value. And why I won't consider the anything from HeadAmp. For price of Gilmore Lite, no way, when Rockhopper makes the M3 for less!

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #23 of 161
This is a stupid and unfair hijacking of a thread. The poster has just bought a lovely looking, well made, beautiful sounding amp. Bravo to him. You. Mr. mbd2884, are poison personified. Go take your miserable high and mighty view of the world else where and leave the rest of us to admire the poster's amp and allow him to tell us all about its virtues and weaknesses, if there are any, which you certainly know nothing about.

Skrub af!

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #24 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a stupid and unfair hijacking of a thread. The poster has just bought a lovely looking, well made, beautiful sounding amp. Bravo to him. You. Mr. mbd2884, are poison personified. Go take your miserable high and mighty view of the world else where and leave the rest of us to admire the poster's amp and allow him to tell us all about its virtues and weaknesses, if there are any, which you certainly know nothing about.

Skrub af!

I second Frihed89's sentiments. You are nothing but a virus that spreads useless and sometimes harmful information. No one wants to read what you write. Why not find another group of people to annoy, I think we have endured you long enough here. Don't you?

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #25 of 161
Yes, why this derailment of a good topic? I want to know more about that nice looking silvercore amp. I can understand if the owner don't want to open it (could affect a warranty) but I still am curious about the inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Custom 100TH also has a headphone socket

I would hope so... but does it mean that the impedance of the socket is 150 ohm? Or does the ohms refer to something else?

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #27 of 161
Looks pretty sweet. I like all them silver goodies inside.

Minimax > Gilmore Lite
Both were designed by someone that isn't in the company, and have very nice casework, and the same basic features. The Mini Max from Whiplash has WAY more going on in its circuit, with 2 tubes, multiple large transistors/diamond buffer...and filled with tasty boutique parts. If you look inside it inspires confidence. The Lite is a good circuit but I just don't think it has the bling to cost $400. People will flame me for judging a book by its cover but I know which one I'd buy. I'd be curious a direct Minimax-lite comparison.

I think my $180 Millet Max from Whiplash is going to beat a Lite down hard. I do like the Lite's casework though. Still think a Starving Student or an Arietta is a WAY better deal.

MBD and I think Headamp is a ripoff, and that's that. Because they are selling a DIY design of Gilmores for a non DIY price, the same thing that Whiplash does except Whiplash uses higher end parts and charges less. All hail MBD the Virus, bringer of pain and woe to threads...seriously though, that was a pretty blatant thread hijack.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #29 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i try to add some pictures on monday from the inside.

Sounds good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now after hearing several hours with
my reference recordings i have to tell you that i have entered a new level of
headphone listening.

What's your source and what's your headphone?

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #30 of 161
i try to get the pictures as soon as possible........OK Christof will do that
These amps are made in Germany .I know tube amps well and have made also own modifications on different amps ,the last was Jadis845 monoblocks so i know exactly what is quality.mbd2884 please relax this amp is awesome.You see on the picture on the left side the power supply with 5u4g tube.On headphone amp you see three knobs 1,2 and 3.2 for input and 1and 3 are volume control and you see 812A tubes.Insider know that 300B is a nice tube but 812A is better ,sorry boys.How i should describe the sound?
I use at the moment Krell 25sc 24/96 as a source and run Siltech cables to Silvercore.Headphones at the moment Grado GS-1OOO.I have ordered Ultrasone 8 and will in the next future test the amp with these.
When i for the first time heard Sennheiser Orpheus i said WOW i bought these straight away,it was early 1990s .I spent thousands of hours with Orpheus and was quite a happy boy.When i look at Silvercore no picture will tell the truth .When you hear with headphones you hear a miniature soundstage and it is between your ears in the head thats the normal situation.For instance the piano is a toy piano etc..Sennheiser Orpheus gave me for the first time size for instruments.Normally if the soundstage gets bigger the instruments should also but thats not always the case with many amps.Ok, Silvercore gives the largest image of an instrument so far.
Its also interesting to notice that on Silvercores soundstage the performance gets away from the left and right side and the orchestra pops up in front of you.To do that you should own great recordings Jackie Leven live etc.How i should describe the sound? Smoothness and detail , separation of instruments , 3D or how real are the sounds compared to real life.I have some test cds with sound from nature.Its interesting when you hear with Silvercore you make no mental notice how it sounds ,this tells that your brain are not making some automatic corrections so your focus is in pure music
I will continue later...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back