Silver RKV MkII (first pic)
Feb 22, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #16 of 56
Thanks for sharing the pics! I've always liked the black and gold, but it can be a bit 'powerful' depending on how it fits in with your other equipment on a rack.

The silver version looks more subdued but I cannot open the pics to get a close up view. In the small photos, it looks great. This is a great sounding amp as well, and I'm sure will mate well with your PS-1 Pro's! Enjoy.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 56
Why is this stepped attenuator that big???? Is not enough with two of those boards, one per channel, why four of them?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 56
I like it a lot. I'd have to see it in person to decide which of the two I like better. I'll take either tho
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #20 of 56
I think the red board looks better against the gold and black. Then again, I have the black and gold, so perhaps I'm biased... The black and gold just has that classic retro look that fits in with the retro tube motif.

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #21 of 56
Where could I find some pics of a black/gold one?

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #24 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Wow, man. In its own way, I think that's as nice looking as the black one. I'll make that my desktop background for a few days.

I think this thread illustrates the wisdom of Audiovalve's decision to offer their products in silver, too. Some love it, others don't. Some love the back/gold, others don't. I belong to those who were less comfortable with the black/gold design and jumped onto the silver option.

The stepped attenuator needs four boards because it is of the "ladder" type.

Audiovalve do not offer stepped attenuators as an option. I purchased that thing myself and had it installed.

I fixed the link.

Feb 22, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #25 of 56
that 4 plated stepped pot is a balanced pot.

for stereo, you have just two plates. for balanced pots you get 4 plates.

i think the silver version is looking very nice indeed. better though, how does it sound?

the standard alps pots are not that good. the noble pots are the best of the " normal" pots, a stepup are the stepped pots, wich are even better.very clear transparant sound.

Feb 22, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by ls20
es sagte, dass wir registrieren muessen sind

you don't have to register! just click on the map rkv and you should be able to click on the pictures to open.

Feb 22, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #27 of 56
Pimp black / gold goes better with my pimp 'champagne' gear
wink.gif

Very interesting. I'll have to look into that as a future option. Someone else mentioned Noble pots. If it's just a straight throw-in replacement (looking inside the Emmeline, dimensions look similar to the Alps), I might go that way for now. How much of a real upgrade is this?

Feb 22, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by tourmaline
for stereo, you have just two plates. for balanced pots you get 4 plates.
i think the silver version is looking very nice indeed. better though, how does it sound?
the standard alps pots are not that good. the noble pots are the best of the " normal" pots, a stepup are the stepped pots, wich are even better.very clear transparant sound.

I originally thought it was a 4 channel attenuator as well, but as sugano-san already mentioned, the ladder type requires the extra boards. Besides, the RKV is not a balanced amplifier so the extra 2 channels would be a waste.

The "standard" alps blue velvet pot that the RKV comes with is one of the better smooth pots in production.

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by tourmaline

No, it's not. It's a ladder type stepped attenuator.

Feb 22, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #30 of 56
I've sorted out the problems with my computer (damned viruses) and now had a chance to look at the pics more closely. I kind of like the silver, but I like the black and gold too... I'm another one who would have to see them side be side to decide which I like more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back