Silver Bullets kaput, i want something similar!
Apr 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #16 of 29
Ooooooooo guys the pr401 sounds real good.
How does it compare to SB?

Really bro?  I thought I laid it out pretty well in the very post of mine you quoted... 
cool.gif

It compares favorably.. in a nutshell.. it's not as warm as the SB but has great bass.. mids are textured well, treble has great sparkle and detail (certainly one of it's biggest draws).. soundstage & timbre is excellent.. slightly U shaped, balanced frequency curve.. go for it.. you won't be disappointed, IMO.

I have both the PR401 & SB v.2 and wouldn't trade one for the other.. both belong in your IEM stable.  Search Joker's thread if you want more of my impression on them..

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #17 of 29
Really bro?  I thought I laid it out pretty well in the very post of mine you quoted... 
cool.gif

It compares favorably.. in a nutshell.. it's not as warm as the SB but has great bass.. mids are textured well, treble has great sparkle and detail (certainly one of it's biggest draws).. soundstage & timbre is excellent.. slightly U shaped, balanced frequency curve.. go for it.. you won't be disappointed, IMO.

I have both the PR401 & SB v.2 and wouldn't trade one for the other.. both belong in your IEM stable.  Search Joker's thread if you want more of my impression on them..

Haha thanks it's just kinda hard reading what I quoted using my iPhone.
But how does it compare to the xscape or something?

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
cool.gif

Oh but |joker| rated them lower than the SB's in terms of sound quality hmmm.......

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 29
Oh but |joker| rated them lower than the SB's in terms of sound quality hmmm.......

Correct.. but let your ears be the judge, not necessarily a number/value.

I didn't say the PR401 is better than the SB or vice-versa.. they have different signatures & presentations, but share some audio characteristics so I suggested it as an alternative to the SB.  What might be better to you might not be better to someone else.. so it's quite tough to decide on a phone using such a broad, ambiguous term.

I wouldn't use a numeric value to determine what phone is better suited for my ears.. instead read through the reviews, impressions, & descriptions of phones you're looking at to see if that's the kind of sound one is looking for.

There's very little, if anything, that people don't like about the PR401.. like I said, I have both and don't think I would trade one for the other b/c they're both quite excellent phones that are do a ton of things right and very few things wrong (at their price points).

It would be much easier to determine what phone you want if you know how much you want to spend, what you're looking for in an IEM/sound, and what you don't like about the current IEM you're trying to upgrade from.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 29

FlySweep, i really appreciate your input and help.
I was able to audition both the PR401 and the Xscape today.
Both sounded really similar at first, but I felt the xscape gave fuller bass and more forward vocals.
Since that's what I wanted in SB, I decided on the Xscape instead, although the choice wasn't a hit-and-go one.  Not easy.

BUT I have a nagging feeling that when a discount for SB comes along, I'l probably hit it too! =D
Quote:
Correct.. but let your ears be the judge, not necessarily a number/value.

I didn't say the PR401 is better than the SB or vice-versa.. they have different signatures & presentations, but share some audio characteristics so I suggested it as an alternative to the SB.  What might be better to you might not be better to someone else.. so it's quite tough to decide on a phone using such a broad, ambiguous term.

I wouldn't use a numeric value to determine what phone is better suited for my ears.. instead read through the reviews, impressions, & descriptions of phones you're looking at to see if that's the kind of sound one is looking for.

There's very little, if anything, that people don't like about the PR401.. like I said, I have both and don't think I would trade one for the other b/c they're both quite excellent phones that are do a ton of things right and very few things wrong (at their price points).

It would be much easier to determine what phone you want if you know how much you want to spend, what you're looking for in an IEM/sound, and what you don't like about the current IEM you're trying to upgrade from.

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #21 of 29

AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

2 hours after i bought the xcape ver 2, NOW i read about the Xcape IMPRESSIVE EDITION!
Seriously these rapid revisions GOT TO END!!

*furious as a bull*

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #22 of 29
Well either way, whether that would've truly been a good option is only found if you actually audition it. You could always get both and sell the one that doesn't satisfy as much, that's if the finances allow...

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #23 of 29
Sorry to revive and old thread.

Im looking to add the silver bullet to my IEM collection.. but im intending on using these for the gym (running - a lot of moving around, lifting, head turning, a*s clinching, stretching etc etc) . Just wondering if the weight of the SB would cause any annoyances for athletic use.

No speculations please. I need first hand experience owners that have owned the SB and have used them considerably outdoors rather than at home sitting on the couch.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 29

I've been using SB for lifting and running with no problems.
Only minimally annoyed by the slightly active cables but the eargasm very satisfactorily wiped that away as I spasmed with aural pleasure.

Regards

Quote:
Sorry to revive and old thread.

Im looking to add the silver bullet to my IEM collection.. but im intending on using these for the gym (running - a lot of moving around, lifting, head turning, a*s clinching, stretching etc etc) . Just wondering if the weight of the SB would cause any annoyances for athletic use.

No speculations please. I need first hand experience owners that have owned the SB and have used them considerably outdoors rather than at home sitting on the couch.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #25 of 29

Quote:
I've been using SB for lifting and running with no problems.
Only minimally annoyed by the slightly active cables but the eargasm very satisfactorily wiped that away as I spasmed with aural pleasure.

Regards

blink.gif

What kind of tips were you using?? Im more used to Sony Hybrids but im willing to try out what you were using.

So the weight of the Bullets doesnt cause any problems for you at all ? It doesnt pop out or anything? I read theyre kinda on the heavier side for an iem.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 29
I find it increasingly difficult to listen to the SB unamped from my iPhone.. not cause they sound bad or anything.. more that they sound so much better when I add the Arrow into the mix.. the bass sounds a fair bit uncontrolled and flabby when unamped and the phones are a little warmer than I prefer.. again, nothing that's going to make me want to sell the phone or anything.. but when I amp them with something neutral and robust (i.e. the Arrow), goodness they SHINE.  The bass tightens considerably and gains better speed while the midrange cleans up.. making it easier to hear some treble sparkle and the liquid like overall smoothness these phones are known for.  There's something downright sexy about the sound when amped and sufficiently burned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back