Sigur Ros is pure genius, and I need more like it:
Mar 25, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #61 of 72
I am both a huge shoegaze fan and a post-rocker; and I love both genres, different as they are, so I hope that I can at least in some way describe the two genres of music; even though music is a difficult thing to describe, and I am not a very good describer.
tongue.gif

Shoegazing started out in the late 80s in Britain, and it's eventually evolved under names like The Boo Radleys and Catherine Wheel to become what we know today as brit-pop. Shoegazing itself however makes use of heavy drone on the guitars (they're run through a fuzzbox), and they're used more to carry the entire sound than for any individual melody. Bands like My Bloody Valentine create entire waves of noise, like an entity of sound. Good luck even trying to make out any instrumentation; production is such that bass becomes voice (both male and female) becomes guitar becomes the reverberating percussion. Of course later shoegaze artists like Ride and Slowdive separate out the instruments a little more, especially the drums and the vocals, but there's still the same giddy sense of swirling synths and distortion throughout. Be aware, you're not going to get a sense of dynamics with this kind of music; it's loud and it's always loud. Often heavy, but calming; mood and tone range from optimisitic (When the Sun Hits, Slowdive), to the downright depressed (Here She Comes, Slowdive).

Slowdive (Souvlaki)
Ride (Nowhere)
My Bloody Valentine (Loveless) (although this is most people's favourite... it's meant to be an album about falling in love :/ but it didn't do a lot for me. That said, MBV's distortion pedal must have got stomped to pieces in the making of this record.)

Post-rock is an often minimalist genre that used rock instrumentation to play classically arranged pieces. There are hardly any vocals, and where there are vocals, they're spoken or whispered, hardly ever sung. Tonality is more often minor than major. The tune is carried by two guitars, interweaving. Unlike shoegaze, post-rock makes huge use of dynamics, because they don't have vocals to convey emotion. Instrumentation is diverse; expect everything from glockenspiels and vibraphones, to organs with the attack-and-decay patterns reversed, trumpets, also electronic sounds, synths and voice samples.

There's a lot of post-rock, and a lot of it is very different; you have jazz/post-rock in Tortoise, or classical/post-rock in Godspeed, but here's what I think is the best of the bunch:

Slint (Spiderland) (godlike masterpiece, regarded as the first post-rock album)
A Silver Mt. Zion (He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Still Grace The Corners Of Our Room)
Explosions in the Sky (The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place)

Also see: Bark Psychosis (Hex), Mercury Program (A Data Learn The Language)

Some artists that are a lot like Sigur Ros (more so than the bands listed above), that you might have overlooked:

The Album Leaf, Makeshift:Shelter, Efterklang, El Ten Eleven, Fridge

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #62 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadcrumbs
I would personally recommend Explosions in the Sky...

Good shout there, breadcrumbs. Explosions' album 'The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place' is one of my favourite albums of the genre! Highly recommended!

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #63 of 72
hear hear breadcrumbs!

couldnt have said it better

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadcrumbs
I am both a huge shoegaze fan and a post-rocker; and I love both genres, different as they are, so I hope that I can at least in some way describe the two genres of music; even though music is a difficult thing to describe, and I am not a very good describer.
tongue.gif

Shoegazing started out in the late 80s in Britain, and it's eventually evolved under names like The Boo Radleys and Catherine Wheel to become what we know today as brit-pop. Shoegazing itself however makes use of heavy drone on the guitars (they're run through a fuzzbox), and they're used more to carry the entire sound than for any individual melody. Bands like My Bloody Valentine create entire waves of noise, like an entity of sound. Good luck even trying to make out any instrumentation; production is such that bass becomes voice (both male and female) becomes guitar becomes the reverberating percussion. Of course later shoegaze artists like Ride and Slowdive separate out the instruments a little more, especially the drums and the vocals, but there's still the same giddy sense of swirling synths and distortion throughout. Be aware, you're not going to get a sense of dynamics with this kind of music; it's loud and it's always loud. Often heavy, but calming; mood and tone range from optimisitic (When the Sun Hits, Slowdive), to the downright depressed (Here She Comes, Slowdive).

Slowdive (Souvlaki)
Ride (Nowhere)
My Bloody Valentine (Loveless) (although this is most people's favourite... it's meant to be an album about falling in love :/ but it didn't do a lot for me. That said, MBV's distortion pedal must have got stomped to pieces in the making of this record.)

Post-rock is an often minimalist genre that used rock instrumentation to play classically arranged pieces. There are hardly any vocals, and where there are vocals, they're spoken or whispered, hardly ever sung. Tonality is more often minor than major. The tune is carried by two guitars, interweaving. Unlike shoegaze, post-rock makes huge use of dynamics, because they don't have vocals to convey emotion. Instrumentation is diverse; expect everything from glockenspiels and vibraphones, to organs with the attack-and-decay patterns reversed, trumpets, also electronic sounds, synths and voice samples.

There's a lot of post-rock, and a lot of it is very different; you have jazz/post-rock in Tortoise, or classical/post-rock in Godspeed, but here's what I think is the best of the bunch:

Slint (Spiderland) (godlike masterpiece, regarded as the first post-rock album)
A Silver Mt. Zion (He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Still Grace The Corners Of Our Room)
Explosions in the Sky (The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place)

Also see: Bark Psychosis (Hex), Mercury Program (A Data Learn The Language)

Some artists that are a lot like Sigur Ros (more so than the bands listed above), that you might have overlooked:

The Album Leaf, Makeshift:Shelter, Efterklang, El Ten Eleven, Fridge

Thanx for the much needed clarification.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #65 of 72
Not to thread jack or anything...but I picked up ( ) on the basis that I am such a big fan of some of the bands that I hear Sigor Ros compared to, but found myself underwhelmed. Is this a typical Sigor Ros album? Or did I stumble onto one of their less accessible albums for a new listener?

It's strange that I would even ask that- being that I've always felt too much was put into the idea of an artistic piece being 'accessible' or better for a new listener...but don't want to write them off as against my tastes in the circumstance that this was not typical of them.

Mar 26, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #66 of 72
roy jones: Yes I would say that ( ) is Sigur Ros' least accessible out of the three I own (Agaetis Byrjun and Takk).

Agaetis Byrjun is probably the place to start listening to Sigur Ros as many view it as their best and most accessible piece to date. Next would probably be Takk. Both are similiar in structure and contain quite pop-like songs.

( ) is very much different in style to the aformentioned albums as it tends to be far more minimalistic and is actually my favourite out of the three.

Perhaps you should check out their other 2 albums and come back to ( ) and see what you think.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #67 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
roy jones: Yes I would say that ( ) is Sigur Ros' least accessible out of the three I own (Agaetis Byrjun and Takk).

Agaetis Byrjun is probably the place to start listening to Sigur Ros as many view it as their best and most accessible piece to date. Next would probably be Takk. Both are similiar in structure and contain quite pop-like songs.

( ) is very much different in style to the aformentioned albums as it tends to be far more minimalistic and is actually my favourite out of the three.

Perhaps you should check out their other 2 albums and come back to ( ) and see what you think.

good advice...
im on the same path and it has suited me quite well.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #68 of 72
Agreed as well. () is my personal favorite Sigur record, but agaetis and takk are both more readily pallateable.

Takks tracks are far shorter than those on the other two, which may lend to an easier transition from pop music.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #69 of 72
Mono is another band that I don't think I saw on any of the lists that is also an excellent example of this type of music.

These are all wonderful headphone bands incidentally. It's the kind of music that really helps to be surrounded by.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
GYBE, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antenna To Heaven..., F# A# (infinity), slow riot for new zero kanada (and if you end up liking them as much as I think you do, just start getting all their side projects -- Do Make Say Think, Silver Mt. Zion Blah Blah Blah, Hanged Up, etc. Also get Explosions in the Sky)

All of them are side projects of GYBE??

I never knew that, cheers for that information. I admire them even more now.

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #71 of 72
Im pretty sure thats wrong. They all just happen to be on the same label, Consetllation Records. The GY!BE side projects that I know of are:

A Silver Mt. Zion
The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la band
The Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la band with Choir
Thee Silver Mountain Reveries
bottleskup flenkenkenmike
bakunin's bum
1-speed bike
exhaust
fly pan am
et sans
set fire to flames
hrsta
molasses
esmerine
balai mécanique
'gypt gore
sam shalabi
shalabi effect

I do know beyond any doubt that there aren't any members of GY!BE in Do Make Say Think (or as i call them: The Action Verbs). They just recently signed to constellation.

Speaking of which, the packaging on these records is amazing!

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #72 of 72
To that, I might add "Explosions in the Sky", though they are louder than Sigur Ros.

The ultimate chill out song ever written:

"Green Arrow" by Yo La Tengo....You could get strung out just listening to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another good chill out band is "Ghost"....Japanese folk/psychadelic rock.
smily_headphones1.gif
Radiohead's Kid A is great. Lots of electronica is good too...Aphex Twin, DNTL, Talvin Singh, Autechre, Boards of Canada, etc.

Goodluck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back