Sigur Ros is pure genius, and I need more like it:
Mar 23, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #46 of 72
Sigur Ros puts me to sleep, and I'm being fully honest here, and I hear them constantly.

My wife is a huge fan of them, and we've seen together a few times. I literally fell asleep at one show, I felt amazingly bad about that for a very long time...... Their music is simply not engaging at all for me, I see its beauty and understand the love some people have for them, but beyond that, not my cup of tea.

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #47 of 72
Scotty757 your opinion is also my opinion-comparing GYBE and Sigur Ros is like comparing a car and a boat as a means of transport.

If they do have something in common, then its that they are great artists
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #48 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
Scotty757 your opinion is also my opinion-comparing GYBE and Sigur Ros is like comparing a car and a boat as a means of transport.

If they do have something in common, then its that they are great artists
icon10.gif

I think the question is this: Who's more likely to enjoy Godspeed? A Sigur Ros fan or a Britney Spears fan?

smily_headphones1.gif

-jar

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
I think the question is this: Who's more likely to enjoy Godspeed? A Sigur Ros fan or a Britney Spears fan?

Touche, masonjar.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #50 of 72
I just listened to a little Sigur Ros on iTunes- hadn't heard of them before. It's good, I will listen some more, maybe buy a track or two.

To the point, however, Sigur Ros reminded me of Brian Eno's ambient recordings. Check out Eno, I think you'd like him a lot.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #51 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Ok wow. As a post-rock junkie, I find anyone comparing Sigur Ros to GY!BE almost blasphemous. To say you would like one if you like the other is just nonsense.

Sigur Ros is all swirling effects-driven guitar and synth driven, with a tendency to stay on the "prettier" side of things. Jonsi's voice lends itself to this style perfectly, and their music is genius.

GY!BE (as well as side projects ASMZ, TSMR, SFTF, ASMZMOATLLB, etc) are post-apocylaptic soundscape creators. Anyone who could find comparisons between () and F#A#(infinity) arent listening to the same albums I am (unless you count "music" as a similarity). Sigur Ros is beautiful in creation, GY!BE is beauty in destruction. They couldn't be any different.

The being said, I personally adore both bands. However, I cant say that the two go hand in hand. In most of my friends, they are mutually exclusive. Everyone loves Sigur Ros, but arent really patient enough for Godspeed.

That being said, anyone reading this who doesn't own Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven really ought to reconsider their entire life, and ask themselves "what the heII am I listening to?"

oh yeah, and all of this is IMHO
icon10.gif

I see where your coming from, Godspeed is fantastic and more engaging in my book which is why I listen to them everyday (the day doesn't feel right without listening to "lift your skinny fists" at least once!) But Masonjar hit the nail on the head!! Nice comment!

I think you can like both, but your definately going to have a favourite between them and for me its Godspeed and always will be, nothing else compares.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #52 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
Sigur Ros puts me to sleep, and I'm being fully honest here, and I hear them constantly.

My wife is a huge fan of them, and we've seen together a few times. I literally fell asleep at one show, I felt amazingly bad about that for a very long time...... Their music is simply not engaging at all for me, I see its beauty and understand the love some people have for them, but beyond that, not my cup of tea.

You're not alone!
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #53 of 72
For all you Sigur naysayers, just go do this, then I'll leave you alone.

Listen to Untitled 8-Popplagip (The Pop Song), off of (). Give it 11 minutes of your life (it doesnt break until about 6 minutes in). If you still find Sigur Ros boring....well, I really do feel sorry for you...

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #54 of 72
ha, dude. understand that people have opinions. you feel sorry for them? ha, i for one really like sigur ros..and have for years now. but if someone doesn't like their music..it doesn't mean i understand something they don't. it's just simply they don't like it. period.

being sort of silly here.

Quote:

Listen to Untitled 8-Popplagip (The Pop Song), off of (). Give it 11 minutes of your life (it doesnt break until about 6 minutes in). If you still find Sigur Ros boring....well, I really do feel sorry for you...

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

I've heard about one billion times............ still puts me to sleep, its boring, I'm just sorry.

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
I've heard about one billion times............ still puts me to sleep, its boring, I'm just sorry.

Skyring, you dont need to apologize...your entitled to ur own opinion.

As for Godspeed, can someone tell me exactly what type of music it is?
Which album do I start with?
Im gonna grab an album in the next hour or two.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

Kind of like a classical orchestra playing Mozart, but on a smaller scale, and mixed with some Brian Eno ambience, and early Kraftwerk electro-organic inventiveness, along with a bit of Velvet Underground drone. Long building passages like Mogwai (and sometimes Sigur Ros), that tend to explode ... then rebuild. Occasionally the intros have a quirky vocal sample. Skinny Fists is my favorite, just 4 long songs spread over 2 discs.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #58 of 72
I wasn't trying to sound rude, I'm just sorry that there are those who dont like their music, because I love it so much. I just think youre missing out...

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

Which album do I start with?
Im gonna grab an album in the next hour or two.

Godspeed are a small (11 members) orchestral band who play long (20 mins) tracks. Most of the instrumentation is typically classical and minimalist, with violins creating sweeping dynamics that crescendo and diminuendo repeatedly throughout the music. It's worth noting that Godspeed use guitar instrumentation a lot less than other post-rock bands, just picking a tentative arpeggio in the background, but occasionally going completely unhinged with distortion (take Static for example ¦)). Drumming is drenched in reverb; percussion as a whole tends to be downplayed so that the violins can take centrestage.

I would personally recommend Explosions in the Sky, A Silver Mt. Zion (especially He Has Left Us Alone - what a fantastic record!), Tortoise, Slint etc. over anything by Godspeed, but if you want a starting point, I would go with Lift Your Skinny Fists, simply due to the fact that it contains the least voice samples (you can always skip Father Time's 5 minute monologue), and the most standard dynamic structure.

F#A#∞ is my personal favourite - I'm not absolutely sure why. I don't like the way the tracks seem to go nowhere; it's a very fragmented album - when you listen to one 20 minute track, it felt to me that you were getting five 3 minute tracks with silences inbetween, but I do love the entire apocalypse theme running through the album. It's both calm and traumatic, and an oddly despondant reminder that the world will eventually end. Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada is more of the same, but shorter. As for Yanqui U.X.O., I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard good things.

Hope this helped,

breadcrumbs

Mar 25, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by breadcrumbs
Godspeed are a small (11 members) orchestral band who play long (20 mins) tracks. Most of the instrumentation is typically classical and minimalist, with violins creating sweeping dynamics that crescendo and diminuendo repeatedly throughout the music. It's worth noting that Godspeed use guitar instrumentation a lot less than other post-rock bands, just picking a tentative arpeggio in the background, but occasionally going completely unhinged with distortion (take Static for example ¦)). Drumming is drenched in reverb; percussion as a whole tends to be downplayed so that the violins can take centrestage.

I would personally recommend Explosions in the Sky, A Silver Mt. Zion (especially He Has Left Us Alone - what a fantastic record!), Tortoise, Slint etc. over anything by Godspeed, but if you want a starting point, I would go with Lift Your Skinny Fists, simply due to the fact that it contains the least voice samples (you can always skip Father Time's 5 minute monologue), and the most standard dynamic structure.

F#A#∞ is my personal favourite - I'm not absolutely sure why. I don't like the way the tracks seem to go nowhere; it's a very fragmented album - when you listen to one 20 minute track, it felt to me that you were getting five 3 minute tracks with silences inbetween, but I do love the entire apocalypse theme running through the album. It's both calm and traumatic, and an oddly despondant reminder that the world will eventually end. Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada is more of the same, but shorter. As for Yanqui U.X.O., I haven't heard it yet, but I've heard good things.

Hope this helped,

breadcrumbs

So i dont want to go too off on a tangent, but this is my thread....
icon10.gif

what is the difference between post-rock and shoegaze?
if someone posts a Wikipedia link so help me G-d, ill come to your place of residence...
tongue.gif

...would rather a concise breakdown; maybe also the 3 top bands in each genre?
I really love Slowdive, Sigur Ros (i only have one album), Mogwai...but have no Ride, Godspeed, My Bloody Valentine, Coctaue Twins, etc.
I have a feeling this is going to be my next musical project/genre to get into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back