Sigur Ros is pure genius, and I need more like it:
Mar 18, 2006 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive had Agaetis Byrjun for over a year and never really gave it a shot. Over the past couple of months its repeatedly floored me.
I need chill, ambient/shoegaze/rock every once in a while to just chill to.
What genre is this exactly?
Which album should I get next and who out there is similar?

...I dont have any Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Ive had Agaetis Byrjun for over a year and never really gave it a shot. Over the past couple of months its repeatedly floored me.
I need chill, ambient/shoegaze/rock every once in a while to just chill to.
What genre is this exactly?
Which album should I get next and who out there is similar?

...I dont have any Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine.

ok then:

SOUVLAKI by Slowdive and LOVELESS by MBV are crucial.

Also check out these for similar atmospheric vibes:

Talk Talk - LAUGHING STOCK, SPIRT OF EDEN

Bark Psychosis - HEX

They are considered primary "post rock" albums and they really paved the way for experiemental, sparse, atmospheric rock music in the 90's.

Another classic post-rock album to check out is YOUNG TEAM by Mogwai.

A lot of people like Godspeed You! Black Emperor too.

For more classic "shoegazer" and other ambient/dreamy music check out:

Ride - NOWHERE
Pale Saints - IN RIBBONS
A.R. Kane - 69
Catherine Wheel - FERMENT and CHROME
Cocteau Twins - HEAVEN OR LAS VEGAS
This Mortal Coil - BLOOD
Dead Can Dance - INTO THE LABYRINTH
Galaxie 500 - ON FIRE
Swervedriver - MEZCAL HEAD
Medicine - THE BURIED LIFE
Verve - A STORM IN HEAVEN

Search on "shoegaze" for more threads on the subject, there have been several recently.

-jar

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 72
I second most of Mason Jar's comments. There are basically two genres you need to investigate: shoegaze, and post-rock.

Shoegaze:

My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
Slowdive, Souvlaki and Just for a Day
Ride, Nowhere
Chapterhouse, Whirlpool or Blood Music

...and yeah, most of the rest of Masonic Jarple's recommendations (I was going to just end up repeating them).

Post-rock:

Talk Talk, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock to get you started
GYBE, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antenna To Heaven..., F# A# (infinity), slow riot for new zero kanada (and if you end up liking them as much as I think you do, just start getting all their side projects -- Do Make Say Think, Silver Mt. Zion Blah Blah Blah, Hanged Up, etc. Also get Explosions in the Sky)
Tortoise, Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Mogwai, Young Team
Bark Psychosis, Hex

Lots more.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
I have only listened to Sigur Ros passively (i.e. playing on my system in the background). Currently, I only have Von and have heard their song on the V Sky ST.

What about their style makes people gravitate to their music? For ambience or otherwise etc? I'm just trying to get an idea of what their music is all about.

because sigor ros is the ice that clings to winter eve's barren black branches.

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

I have only listened to Sigur Ros passively (i.e. playing on my system in the background). Currently, I only have Von and have heard their song on the V Sky ST.

What about their style makes people gravitate to their music? For ambience or otherwise etc? I'm just trying to get an idea of what their music is all about.

Shakespeare...I mean Redshifter said it perfectly.
Its just perfectly beautiful music throughout.
Takes a couple of listens to catch, but extremely rewarding.
For me, Sigur Ros is similar to Floyd and Massive Attack in that when I cant figure out what I want to listen to, its always the right answer.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #9 of 72
I definitely like their stuff a lot, so that's not an issue. I just wanted to hear some other people's opinions on the group. It's hard to put a 'label' on exactly what their music is, which is why I find their stuff so appealing. For one thing it's about the farthest one can get from the main stream and secondly their stuff is like art for the ears in that it has different meanings to everyone who hears it. This is why I was hesitant to look into the "lyrics" in that other thread here b/c that is kind of counter-intuituve to Sigur's musical mission. It's like floating on a cloud during a stormy evening in some post-apocalyptic realm-- just dead, eerie calm.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

For me they kind of encompass what I like about Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Slowdive. Yet, they are not copies of any one of them.

-jar

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

I am also a big fan of both Radiohead and Pink Floyd. I will have to check out Slowdive--you mentioned Souvlaki? I will check that out.

ooooh Senn...you dont know Slowdive? Souvlaki is killer, get it ASAP.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Shakespeare...I mean Redshifter said it perfectly.

Yeah, he's really on tonight, isn't he? Quote:

ooooh Senn...you dont know Slowdive? Souvlaki is killer, get it ASAP.

And then get Just for a Day. Sublime.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 72
Being a big SR fan, I'm annoied by the ongoing comparison with the Radiohead or even Pink Floyd. With all due respect, SR are ...many miles away from PF achievements or from RH persistent perfection and innovation. Maybe..hopefully one day they will be in the same league, but it's still a long way to go.

They have couple of excellent recordings and demonstarte creative potential and style, but the SQ of their recordings is sub-optimal, and their live performance is generally inferior to what the be(a)st live bands in the world today deliver.

I'll check them out again in May in Boston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back