Sep 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #106 of 223
Nice thing you're doing. If only the gs-1000 was a dt800 though
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #107 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR60's are in the hands of the second listener and the GS-1000's will soon be in the hands of the fifth listener. So far so good folks!

We need more people though to keep this running. So spread the word. Hopefully we will see the RS-1's and RS-2's out very soon.

I'd like to get in line to audition the GS1000's; sent you a PM.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #108 of 223
Tomorrow I should be receiving the RS-1's and RS-2's. Before I ship them out to the first person (I've decided to send them out as a package deal so people can A/B the phones) I'm going to give them a listen and do a review between:

RS-1 vintage, RS-1 new, RS-2 new, GS-1000

So the first person will see them the first week of October and we will start from there.

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #110 of 223
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a Grado SR60 to complement the HD650s I have. I'd definitely pay the $20 to become a contributing member if it means that I can save the $60 from having made a bad purchase if I find out the SR-60 is not really for me.

However I have a question regarding the address part of the rules.

I'm a college student who currently lives in an apartment complex. As thus, my home address and current address are not the same. Will it be possible to ship to my current address? The drivers here will NEVER leave the package at my door and instead take it down to the leasing offices where they make us provide photo ID and sign for packages.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #111 of 223
I need the address to where it will be shipped and that must be where you are currently residing. If you live in an apartment complex because you are at college...I consider that your humble abode
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #112 of 223
Just noticed this post, and what a great idea this is!

One thought I had was whenever the next additions to this array of headphones occurs, perhaps an IEM might be a good idea. Obviously would need to be solid build quality and removable wires would be a plus, perhaps something like the SA6 or something more rare. I'd imagine part of the reason the SR60s aren't getting much play are because they are inexpensive to buy and risk it, and they are very common, so many people have them or have heard them (at meets or whatever). I've personally never heard a Grado phone, but I had planned later just to pick up an SR80 or 125 just to have.

I might be interested in the 1ks, but my home rig is basically nonexistant atm and I don't know when I'll get around to getting a new amp and possibly a better source. I'd hate to audition them only to use them on subpar equipment. I'll post later if I want to be on the list.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #113 of 223
Wow, what a cool program!

Looks like I qualify too, hmm....

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #116 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zanth,

Any more thoughts on a European leg of the program ?

The program has been running quite smoothly now, especially with the GS-1000's. I'm about to roll out the RS-1/RS-2 package and I'll let that run for the rest of the year before beginning anything new. If I start something for Europe we will have to work through some major details. First, I'll likely start in the UK because most of our European members seem to be centered there. Then we will need to figure out secure and cheap shipping with the proper paperwork so that each person isn't sacked with VAT every time. I'll have to talk with a few people in Europe to map all that out and then lay out the rules in the first post of this thread as well as a separate entry in my blog.

I know for the Europeans, getting to hear Grados may be a bigger event than in the US and Canada since they are more readily available here.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #119 of 223
Thanks Hottentott.

However, despite this being a good idea...at least one with some passion behind it and a hope that others can enjoy a sound they may not want to invest in without encountering first...I have to admit I'm rather disgusted at this point on how the whole thing is shaping up.

I have asked only a few things with regards this program:

1) send pics. Lots and lots of pics. If you can't do this don't sign up. With the plethora of small inexpensive digi cams EVERYWHERE, I can't understand why some simply won't send me pictures.

Why are pictures important? Well, I'll give you a straight up answer: because people, as much as I hate to admit it, can be quite dishonest, half-way dumb and/or both. I need to keep track of the condition of the packaging and the headphones so I know who to go after if things go wrong.

Gatto just received the SR-60's and when she received them, the pizza box had some damage to it (though the phones were fine). When I sent them out to Nugwin as the first person to get the BRAND NEW headphones, he received them via express international airmail, fully insured, in a box with packaging inside to protect the SR60's box and headphones. I know he received them like this because he sent me the photos to prove he received them in that condition. However, he was pretty incompetent in communicating and sending off the headphones, giving excuse after excuse as to why he had delays. When he finally did send them out, I never received photos of the final shipped product. Morover, acameron didn't send me photos so I can't confirm he received them in the same box I sent them to Nugwin in. acameron then sent to LeonWho who never sent me photos and now...Gatto, who diligently sent me the required photos, provides me with some details but the lack of pictures means I have to investigate who initially cheaped out on shipping. Certainly I can lay blame on LeonWho immediately, but if he received them from acameron in the same condition Gatto received them, then of course I have to look to acameron or Nugwin.

This gets ridiculous and tedious and damn well time consuming. I'm ridiculously busy. I'd wager I'm busier than most anyone on this forum yet I find the time to set this program up and at very little cost to the participants. Many people suggested I swing some sort of escrow service to ensure the headphones are at least financially covered if something goes wrong. To me that is just too much effort and given how things are progressing I may just have to shut this program down.

2) I ask that people send via airmail with the headphones fully insured. Why? Ground shipping is notoriously hazardous to packages of all types and worse still without the proper insurance, if damaged, we are all out of luck because I won't finance or find generous donators to finance new headphones. I'll just end it. LeonWho sent via ground shipping to Gatto, sure she isn't very far away, but that isn't the point. The point is, the box is damaged because it wasn't packed properly and worse still given the abysmal packaging it was sent by the worst possible shipping method! Do I really require a bloody age requirement with this program? Thus far, of the dozen or so participants I've hand 3 have been horrid and 2 of those are under 20.

3)I ask that people demo the phones for 14 days. That does not include shipping time, so they get a full two weeks from the time they have the headphones. I've been busy and sometimes I don't send off the contact info for the next person on the list right away. In that case, I'm never upset, since the extra time the person has with the phones is my fault. Yet, when I do announce to that person their time is up, I expect the headphones to be shipped out within the next few days. I have had one mature and responsible Head-fier who asked to withdraw from the program because he knew he would not be able to commit to getting them out on time giving some unexpected scheduling. Awesome! I'll just add that person to the list at another spot if/when he feels he can commit to the 2 week period. As of right now, I'm currently dealing with a situation where a Head-fier has lied and lied and lied about shipping giving excuse after lame excuse about why it hasn't happened. Then, dodging me, then not sending me tracking which is indicative of sending via ground uninsured without a signature upon receipt. I have my fingers crossed the package arrives to the next person on the list.

With this type of mayhem within one country, I'm completely left without any ambition to pursue something overseas where I have little to np control. In North America I have ample legal means of hunting down a member and getting money for damaged or stolen goods. In Europe or elsewhere I am at the total mercy of beneficent Head-fiers. With Europe so tightly made up of many countries, it will be even harder to keep control...

I'm going to have to think about this a lot and see how things turn out by the end of the year. I may well just shut the program down by Dec 31 and save myself the stress and energy of dealing with what amounts to incompetent and delinquent children. Of course, they aren't children, they are adults which makes everything that much more frustrating.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #120 of 223
I'm terribly sorry about the way this has turned out, Zanth. It is inexcusable that so many members would have been so negligent as to disregard the rules attached to free gear. I fully understand your reticence to engage in any overseas action, considering.

Glad to hear it worked out with Gatto, however. She's good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back