Sibilance Ultrasone Pro 900
Sep 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 30
If bass quantity is very important to you, than the Pro 900 easily wins.  The Ultrasone's drivers are also fast, providing quicker attack and decay, great for genres like dnb.  In terms of being "audiophile grade," I will agree that the D7000 is the superior headphone.

Quote:

Improvement in what way? I can't think of any aspect where the PRO 900 is actually better than the Denon D7000.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 30
Im not a fan of this bass for some reason. It doesn't sound boomy like the xb500s or m-50s. It just sounds like the bass surrounds you and goes deeper. I mean like i know deeper is better, but in my case i just doesn't sound right. I have both my m-50s and pro 900s plugged into my amp and listen to the same songs and found the bass to be louder in the m-50s and i liked the up front sound better. Like the sound out of the pro 900 sound really far away, obviously because of the s-logic. Like i said for some techno songs, gaming and movies i love them, but for music is changes a lot. Personally thinking of just getting speakers. Since I can still game pretty well with my m-50s. The Pro-900s are still more sibilant than the m-50s which i don't like, I asked my roommate and a couple friends to try them out, they said that the bass sounded quiet. Most of the other people that have tried them out said it just gives you the room feeling and better seperation, but not the club feeling, which they say the m-50 does better. One more thing that gets me is that sometimes it sounds like you are hearing the sound seperately from both ears instead of one coherent sound and the isolation is bad with the pro-900s, I can hear the elevator in my apartment with them on, with music playing at 50%.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #18 of 30
lol i decided to take the pads and listen with the drivers right one my ears. Then proceeded to take of the m-50 pads and put them on and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, The pads made such a difference. Not sure if people have tried different pads on these but the m-50 pads changed them alot. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 30

Quote:
lol i decided to take the pads and listen with the drivers right one my ears. Then proceeded to take of the m-50 pads and put them on and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, The pads made such a difference. Not sure if people have tried different pads on these but the m-50 pads changed them alot. 

O how can i get the m-50 pads to stay on/ or is there an eqivelent to them?

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #20 of 30
Check out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491309/leather-ear-pad-for-ultrasone-pro-900s/15

I just finished fitting J$ pads on my Pro 900 and I don't hear any drastic difference except better isolation, sibilance in female vocals is still there and is especially noticeable when compared to HD650. May be they need more burn-in, did about 50 hours so far.

I'm now seriously concerned if I want to sell them and keep M50's (need closed cans for work). I was hoping to find something better than M50, something that will make me happy like HD650 does, but ultrasones are so music-dependent, I either cringe or smile depending on what I'm listening to.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
If bass quantity is very important to you, than the Pro 900 easily wins.  The Ultrasone's drivers are also fast, providing quicker attack and decay, great for genres like dnb.  In terms of being "audiophile grade," I will agree that the D7000 is the superior headphone.

I didn't get that kind of experience. The PRO 900 has recessed mids compared to the Denon D7000 and generally wasn't as clear. The only way I would consider the PRO 900 as having more bass is if you probably boosted the volume up so you could hear the midrange as clear as you would on the Denon, but that means boosting the treble to intolerable levels (to me at least).

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #22 of 30

Quote:

Yeah they did change them a lot..
I remember putting m50 pads to DJ1 one time...
The sound was so muddy and weird and the bass started to distort that i couldn't stand it not even for 5 minutes..
I can't see how this won't also affect Pro 900....
blink.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 30
I don't understand how the midrange has anything to do with the volume of the bass.  The Pro 900 definitely has more bass quantity than the Denon line.  I'm not the only one who perceived this; every review I've read comparing the two states that the Pro 900 has more bass.  The Denon might reach a bit lower, but bass is presented with much more volume on the Ultrasones. 

Having said that, I agree that the D7000 has a better midrange and its treble isn't as harsh as the Pro 900s, but from a pure bass-head quantity stand point, the Pro 900 is a superior headphone.  Same with its detail retrieval and its PRaT.  Let's not argue though, as I'm with you that the D7000 is the better headphone overall.  I was just trying to show you that, for certain needs, the Pro 900 could be better for someone than the D7000.  Just like the XB500 could be better than the D7000 to someone who values bass way more than either of us do.

Quote:

I didn't get that kind of experience. The PRO 900 has recessed mids compared to the Denon D7000 and generally wasn't as clear. The only way I would consider the PRO 900 as having more bass is if you probably boosted the volume up so you could hear the midrange as clear as you would on the Denon, but that means boosting the treble to intolerable levels (to me at least).

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Yeah they did change them a lot..
I remember putting m50 pads to DJ1 one time...
The sound was so muddy and weird and the bass started to distort that i couldn't stand it not even for 5 minutes..
I can't see how this won't also affect Pro 900....
blink.gif

Well they do sound a bit muddier, But the mids/ vocals don't sound far away like with the stock pad. The m-50 pads isolate a lot better. The pro 900s pad adds space, I used them with my m-50s and noticed they added a little more space to their sound stage, which I kinda found to be funny. I heard that you can mod the xb1000 pads to the pro-900s i'm considering it now.

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #25 of 30

Quote:
Well they do sound a bit muddier, But the mids/ vocals don't sound far away like with the stock pad. The m-50 pads isolate a lot better. The pro 900s pad adds space, I used them with my m-50s and noticed they added a little more space to their sound stage, which I kinda found to be funny. I heard that you can mod the xb1000 pads to the pro-900s i'm considering it now.

Well if it works for you then why not..
I am going to change the stock ones with the Beyerdynamic DT990 silver velour ones...
These pads are super comfortable and soft..

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:

use the ultrasone dj1pro/pro 550 pleather pads its fit perfectly with pro 900,, and change the sound quiet a bit,, maybe close to what you hear with the m50 pad..

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #27 of 30

Quote:
I don't understand how the midrange has anything to do with the volume of the bass.  The Pro 900 definitely has more bass quantity than the Denon line.  I'm not the only one who perceived this; every review I've read comparing the two states that the Pro 900 has more bass.  The Denon might reach a bit lower, but bass is presented with much more volume on the Ultrasones. 

Having said that, I agree that the D7000 has a better midrange and its treble isn't as harsh as the Pro 900s, but from a pure bass-head quantity stand point, the Pro 900 is a superior headphone.  Same with its detail retrieval and its PRaT.  Let's not argue though, as I'm with you that the D7000 is the better headphone overall.  I was just trying to show you that, for certain needs, the Pro 900 could be better for someone than the D7000.  Just like the XB500 could be better than the D7000 to someone who values bass way more than either of us do.

I fully agree with you.

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #28 of 30
I just tried the d7000 and yes i like the sound a lot better, because the harshness of the pro900 gets to me compared to them. Amplified the d7000 sound stage sounds better and the bass feels just right.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
Check out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/491309/leather-ear-pad-for-ultrasone-pro-900s/15

I just finished fitting J$ pads on my Pro 900 and I don't hear any drastic difference except better isolation, sibilance in female vocals is still there and is especially noticeable when compared to HD650. May be they need more burn-in, did about 50 hours so far.

I'm now seriously concerned if I want to sell them and keep M50's (need closed cans for work). I was hoping to find something better than M50, something that will make me happy like HD650 does, but ultrasones are so music-dependent, I either cringe or smile depending on what I'm listening to.

Are they more comfortable? By better isolation, do you mean that it leaks much less sound or you can't hear outside noises as well or both? Also does it increase the bass? I remember one user telling me that it is comparable to pushing the stock pads closer to your ears, is this true?

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #30 of 30
I wouldn't really compare the d7000 to the pro900, as they are very different headphones. I can see how head-fiers can prefer either one.
I also think that the pro900 are clearer across the spectrum, but that is due their drier, more analytical sound. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back