Shure warranty
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep.Well, not if you need the receipt for warranty purposes :p.

No matter what reason you need it...to the person, it kinda gives them the idea that you dont like the gift and want to return it. 99% of people dont ask for a gift receipe, so you stuck to the normal slip. Also, if they like me, i keep all my receipes in a box marked with the year. I do this just in case the IRS comes hounding me one day, which is just good practice.

When i buy stuff for a gift, i always get a gift receipe and include it. However, most people dont think like that.

I think its pretty stupid anyway for companies to require a receipe for warranty. I can see how they want to make sure they pay for items, however they should do what Shure does and if there isnt a receipe follow the date marked on the item.

How about you have a party and everyone brings you a electronic device of some sort as gifts. You going to ask the 20-25 people that showed up for a receipe? Some of these people you prob dont see often, so if you dont ask for it then, you're stuck.

To me, its just a companies plot to not honor their warranty. Im glad Shure doesnt follow this practice.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #17 of 21
I am so jealous of how Shure is handling America. No one having bad experiences on this board?? It is very different over here in The Netherlands as the support center not at all sticks to the warranty policy. In fact my E2c's were suffering from the cable syndrom a little before the 2 year warranty would void, so I shipped them back with my receipt, got a letter back saying that it was not a warranty issue at all but that they fixed the plug anyway. Unfortunately they did not fix anything at all, so I am stuck here with a warranty that just expired and a broken pair of E2's. Not much of a service to me if you ask me..

I contacted Shure again, so I am waiting for their response, hoping they will redeem themselves, but if you're not in America, you might consider twice before counting on support. I'll update when they get back to me, but I cannot imagine any other company handling worse at the moment and even Sony has proven to be more supportive with broken cables at the moment.. *sighs*

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by turkishdelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This number is a 3 or 4 digit number. For instance if it says 234...the earphones were manufactured on the 23rd week of 2004. If the there is a 4 digit number it reflects the day. 2334 means the 233 day of 2004.

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but I do have a question with regards to Shure warranty and date of manufacture.

I purchased a set of SE530s, probably a year or a little more ago. I've moved since I bought them and I'm unable to locate the receipt. I've searched everywhere, and even went as far as going up the attic to look through a few boxes for them.

I'm very glad to hear that shure will warranty earphones without the receipt as long as it is within two years of manufacture. My SE530s has a four digit number that says "0037". According to what was said, that would mean they were manufactured on the 3rd day of 2007, correct? If so, I will send them out as early as tomorrow since my time is running out.

Another question, is the same numbering/dating scheme used with the Music Phone Adapter (MPA)? I only ask because the MPA I purchased from the apple store has "4407" on it, and that cant mean 440th day in 07
wink_face.gif

Any help with this is greatly appreciated

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #19 of 21
Just wanted to add my two cents to this topic, and say that it's not all roses when dealing with Shure's warranty.

I have some SCL4's where the right bud is pretty much shot.  It's very quiet compared to the left, and if you turn up the volume it makes a horrible distorted clipping sound (and it does this even with the nozzles removed so it's not just wax buildup).  I bought from an authorized dealer and my warranty had expired, but with all these posts saying they'll probably extend it, I got my hopes up.

But I was abruptly informed by Shure that my warranty was up so I was out of luck.

To be honest, I can't hold it against them for not extending the listed warranty, but I do hold it against them that these failed in the first place.  These have seen absolute minimal use and I've babied them.  Never snagged a cable, don't wear them when working out/sweating, they're always stored in the case, and I bet an above average user could put on as many hours as I have within 6 months.  So I'm pretty disappointed with their quality.  You can pay the flat rate to get them repaired/replaced, but that's more than what they sell for used, and to be honest, I'd go with a different brand for my next IEM's.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 21
I just had a similarly negative experience, including the abrupt tone from the service rep. Every two years, I've needed to have SE530s replaced. The cable cracks and breaks, and the headphones stop working. So, I called. The rep told me that replacements are now covered for only one year instead of two. It's like $150 (I forget exactly) for a replacement. And, they won't even send SE535s with replaceable cable. They would send another pair of SE530s that would likely break in two years. 

So, I can spend however much they decide to charge every 2 yrs, or I can spend more now on something that will last. I'm looking at some other companies.

Dec 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 21
I've had my SE530's replaced twice now within the initial 2 years since I bought them (both times for problems with the rubber cable protecting boot pulling out from where the boot attaches to the eaphones even though I've been very gentle and careful with them).  The first time Shure sent me a new retail box with all the accessories.  The second time, they just replaced the earphones and provided one extension cable.  I was OK with that but I'm really disappointed with the lack of longevity of these IEMs. 

I think that considering the obvious defects with the cable attachment design of the 530's and considering how expensive these IEMs were/are, that Shure should make an exception just for the 530's to their general policy of only replacing IEMs with the same exact model.  Because of the defective design and the high price of these IEMS, I think they should replace 530's with 535's which have fortunately been designed with a much improved cable that is also replaceable so it seems pretty likely that the 535's will not suffer from the same design defect that the 530's have. 

Shure, if you are still reading this thread, I hope you would consider making such an exception for us unfortunate 530 owners.

Btw, the date code on my last replacement 530's is 1070.  I would like to know if the "0" means the year 2000 or 2010?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back