Shure SRH940 only given 3.5 stars in HeadRoom review?
Nov 10, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 53

Quote:
Probably because it's overpriced? Should be more like $200 considering it's only slightly better than the SRH-840. I'm completely baffled by how this headphone is $250-$300.
Yes, I did like it a lot, but it's not worth $250 IMO. Didn't sound much better than my DJ100 and $99 KNS-6400.

I keep saying I'd buy one if they dropped to under $175, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Might be overpriced at headroom.com!!! lol

I bought mine on the first few months they were out for like $250 and they
can be found for less:

(go to earphone solutions.com, add them to your cart, use the coupon AMPD == 20% ==> 940s for $240 new!)

To me, with all the goodies they come in the box and the sound the produce, I'm ok with them and their price!
HD600 are way different, and I like them more than my 940s but only for home use.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 53
Am I the only one crazy enough to think the SRH-940 kind of has many similarities of the HD-600? Not talking about frequency graph really.
People often say the SRH-940 is too thin, cold or analytical, but I don't agree at all. If you think the SRH-940 is cold or thin, wait until you try the DT-880!!
I've found the mids of the SRH-940 had nearly as much texture and almost as "thick" as that of the HD-600. Am I crazy?! Maybe it's a combination of my source or amp I used at the time.
I think they'd be a perfect headphone for gaming that's closed. A good balance of being for competitive gaming and for fun.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 53

Quote:
Am I the only one crazy enough to think the SRH-940 kind of has many similarities of the HD-600? Not talking about frequency graph really.
People often say the SRH-940 is too thin, cold or analytical, but I don't agree at all. If you think the SRH-940 is cold or thin, wait until you try the DT-880!!
I've found the mids of the SRH-940 had nearly as much texture and almost as "thick" as that of the HD-600. Am I crazy?! Maybe it's a combination of my source or amp I used at the time.
I think they'd be a perfect headphone for gaming that's closed. A good balance of being for competitive gaming and for fun.

Aren't the HD600 regarded as neutral? 

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

How do you find it compares to the KRK KNK Systems 2600? I believe it was either YOU or sugarmansam that said the SRH-940 sounds very similiar to the KRK KNS

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:
considering it's only slightly better than the SRH-840.

Weird, I thought the 940 sounded a lot better than the 840, a whole different headphone altogether in clarity, layering, vocal presence and air.

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 53
I didn't have the 840s to compare to. I found the 940s to be a little bit better for analyzing the music than my HD600s though. Maybe a less fun sound and not even that neutral but somehow it presents the sound in a way that makes it easy to differentiate all the things going on in the music.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 53

Quote:
How do you find it compares to the KRK KNK Systems 2600? I believe it was either YOU or sugarmansam that said the SRH-940 sounds very similiar to the KRK KNS

I don't think the KRK KNS-6400 sounds anything like the SRH-940. IMO the 6400 is much more balanced, but some find it less musical. The 6400 is a bit thinner sounding and it's mids aren't as textured as that of the SRH-940. Less body on most instruments too. I love it though and found the soundstage of the KNS-6400 much better. Same when it comes to detail and sound clarity. It did feel as if the SRH-940 pushes the mids too forward, so it's less accurate to how the track was recorded. The KRK KNS-6400 has slightly forward mids, but not like the SRH-940. The level of treble of both is about the same, but SRH-940 probably has more extension.

Most would call the KRK KNS-6400 to be bass light, but on graphs it has better extension. Supposedly the KNS-8400 has better extension than even the 6400. I think it's safe to say the KNS-6400 has less bass impact than the SRH-940, but they're close. The bass on the KRKs is kind of like those on the K701.

For use in a studio I think I'd take any of the KRKs over the SRH-940 any day. The SRH-940 is a lot easier to like for most I imagine. It can be more fun to listen to at times.

The cheap KRKs make me wonder why the heck the SRH-940 is so stupid expensive...I'm probably just a cheapskate.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #23 of 53

Quote:
Weird, I thought the 940 sounded a lot better than the 840, a whole different headphone altogether in clarity, layering, vocal presence and air.

If I had to pick between the two, I'd take the SRH-940. I want one, but I just don't feel it's worth the asking price. Not worth the extra hundred or whatever over the SRH-840. Not to me. I guess my preferences are a bit weird. At least the comfort of the SRH-940 is a lot better than the SRH-840.

I think if it wasn't for the KRK headphones I'd probably own the SRH-940 right now! I do prefer open headphones though, so SRH-940 wasn't too high on my list. The SRH-840 was an old favorite before I found the KRK and my favorite DJ100 (which I prefer over the SRH-940 and it's $80!).

BTW someday I'd love to see a KRK KNS-8400 vs Shure SRH-940 review..from someone using them in a studio. It'd be a nice comparison. Now I wish I had kept the KNS-8400 for longer, but it's mids were a bit too laid back compared to the 6400.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 53

Quote:

If I had to pick between the two, I'd take the SRH-940. I want one, but I just don't feel it's worth the asking price. Not worth the extra hundred or whatever over the SRH-840. Not to me. I guess my preferences are a bit weird. At least the comfort of the SRH-940 is a lot better than the SRH-840.

I think if it wasn't for the KRK headphones I'd probably own the SRH-940 right now! I do prefer open headphones though, so SRH-940 wasn't too high on my list. The SRH-840 was an old favorite before I found the KRK and my favorite DJ100 (which I prefer over the SRH-940 and it's $80!).

BTW someday I'd love to see a KRK KNS-8400 vs Shure SRH-940 review..from someone using them in a studio. It'd be a nice comparison. Now I wish I had kept the KNS-8400 for longer, but it's mids were a bit too laid back compared to the 6400.

I really need to hear this krk kns headphones your always talking about. But since no one else on head-fi really knows about them i am frightened to give them a listen. Even if they are only $100 that is to much to risk getting something only one person praises.

Also i think i agree with electropop in that the shure srh840 really isn't all that great either. My sennheiser hd 25 1 II and my Alessandro MS1 both out perform it. I find the shure srh840 to be a little bloated in the bass and it masks other things. I hear things with my sennheiser hd 25 1 II that are very faint on my shure srh840. But considering they were only $130 i will still love them. I just feel they really are (like the m50s) a little over hyped. But i will do a comparison between the m50s and the srh840s when i received my m50s.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #25 of 53
I've found that most of my favorite headphones (and those of others) are severely under-appreciated on here. You rarely hear about them. Theres a few people on here that like the KRKs. Most seem to prefer the KNS-8400 and some find it fuller sounding and more musical. I think I kept the 6400 because it sounded better for vocals, but I wasn't needing anything for a studio.

The KNS-6400 is also often found for $75. 8400 around $130 sometimes. The 8400 even comes with memory foam pads!!

I thought you loved the SRH-840?! I keep hearing that you hate it and then you like it. Sounds like me and my K702s
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW the KRKs, DJ100, K501, SA3000 and K240 Studio are those that don't get mentioned enough around here. I think the DJ100 will be my favorite of all time, but not everyone will like them. Like the KRKs, they make me question why I spend so much on more expensive headphones.

The KRKs may bore some people to death. Unlike the SRH-840 and SRH-940, they seem closer to my idea of what a studio monitor should sound like.

Quote:
I really need to hear this krk kns headphones your always talking about. But since no one else on head-fi really knows about them i am frightened to give them a listen. Even if they are only $100 that is to much to risk getting something only one person praises.

Also i think i agree with electropop in that the shure srh840 really isn't all that great either. My sennheiser hd 25 1 II and my Alessandro MS1 both out perform it. I find the shure srh840 to be a little bloated in the bass and it masks other things. I hear things with my sennheiser hd 25 1 II that are very faint on my shure srh840. But considering they were only $130 i will still love them. I just feel they really are (like the m50s) a little over hyped. But i will do a comparison between the m50s and the srh840s when i received my m50s.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 53

Quote:
I've found that most of my favorite headphones (and those of others) are severely under-appreciated on here. You rarely hear about them. Theres a few people on here that like the KRKs. Most seem to prefer the KNS-8400 and some find it fuller sounding and more musical. I think I kept the 6400 because it sounded better for vocals, but I wasn't needing anything for a studio.

The KNS-6400 is also often found for $75. 8400 around $130 sometimes. The 8400 even comes with memory foam pads!!

I thought you loved the SRH-840?! I keep hearing that you hate it and then you like it. Sounds like me and my K702s
normal_smile%20.gif

BTW the KRKs, DJ100, K501, SA3000 and K240 Studio are those that don't get mentioned enough around here. I think the DJ100 will be my favorite of all time, but not everyone will like them. Like the KRKs, they make me question why I spend so much on more expensive headphones.

The KRKs may bore some people to death. Unlike the SRH-840 and SRH-940, they seem closer to my idea of what a studio monitor should sound like.

I don't hate the srh840 in fact i love them. I just feel that they are a little over hyped on this website when you can get the sennheiser hd 25 1 II for the same price. Although the hd 25 1 II lacks some sound stage i find it sounds way more impressive then the srh840. Although i have to admit the srh840 is smooth and easy to listen to as far as headphones go. I have gone far enough into this hobby to realize i will most likely be satisfied with under $300 headphones.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #27 of 53

Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif

Agreed.

I bought some (8400) to gift off for Christmas after demoing a bunch of closed cans in the 150ish USD bracket.  I'm going to spend some time with them before I review them, but they really share a lot of monitor type characteristics.  A lot more than most headphones that are dubbed (falsely) "studio monitors".

120 on B & H last I checked.  Solid cans and very under appreciated

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

I've seen them compared to the HD600 a few times.

I actually really loved the mids on the 940 except for some upper midrange peak. If the HD600 has the same mids but a different presentation I really have to try them sometime.

But not cold in the mids at all, sounded to me like some weird combo of warm and bright. The DJ100 actually has a colder balance in the mids, and I wouldn't call those cold headphones.

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #29 of 53
I'm not sure about the KRKs though... I think they really missed the boat with
those (at least with the 6400). I've had some VXT-6 and Rokit 8s (in the end I ended up with Tapco Monitors)
and I really liked these cheap monitors for recording sessions at my house or at my friends studio.

Anyway, I was hearing a lot of good things about them and went to my local musicshop
and they had them (along with some Sonys) so I decided to try them. I could not listen to half an hour
with the 6400... it was grainy as heck, clarity was not at great and for the price I would have preferred the Shure 440s
(sounds fuller, funner, overall better!). Basically, for tracking they could be Ok, but for a simple mix, no way. Their
sound is way tinny.

Now, I believe the 8400s are very good for their price. Everything that the 6400 lacks the 8400 fixes.
The grain is not there on the highs, the mids are fairly consistent and there's enough low-end to not
only track but do a proper mix. These will not replace nearfields/monitors (nor any headphones in my opinion)
but they do a good job.

Thing is, side by side, the Shure SRH940s EAT both of these up in terms of comfortability, clarity, soundstage and
extension (normal listening, not recording). Recording wise... not sure yet. Only tried once to track and
mix with mine and the result wasn't that good (probably due to the headphones tendencies to favor the highs...) so I definitely
need to try a few times and see.

For music listening between the SRH940s and KRKs, I definitely choose the Shures.
For recording sessions (at least tracking and initial mix) I would have chosen the 8400s.

I guess it will depend on your priorities, what you are looking for and whether or not you are prepared
to spend a bit more or not. But for example, if you get the KRK8400 at $150, buy an extra coiled cable ($12) and an extra
set of earpads ($30-ish) you are closer to $200 so... again, to me the Shures are in a great place.
And if anyone can find them open-box for $170 (like electronic expo had them), even better!

Thanks.

P.S. Just in case, I'm not a "real" musician hehehe, just a hobby. Though I have family members who
are and have CDs out, etc. hence my time in the studios and stuff. I like that but don't have enough
to create full-on songs, just create ideas and record them :wink:

Nov 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #30 of 53

Quote:

I've seen them compared to the HD600 a few times.

I actually really loved the mids on the 940 except for some upper midrange peak. If the HD600 has the same mids but a different presentation I really have to try them sometime.

But not cold in the mids at all, sounded to me like some weird combo of warm and bright. The DJ100 actually has a colder balance in the mids, and I wouldn't call those cold headphones.

They do share some similarities on the mids and even soundstage (to me... and yes, I'm comparing
open and closed cans) but their whole signature is just so different! The warmth of the HD600s wins it
for me because it goes well with most/all genres I listen to. The "brightness"/clarity of the 940s do better
on other genres. Fact is, I like the HD600s MORE than my 940s!
If it wasn't for sound leakage, I'd be using the Senns everyday like I do my Shures! (I work on a cubicle surrounded
by countless others so isolation and leakage are important!)

But this is just for straight up music listening.
I cannot imagine tracking/mixing with the HD600s! LOL... probably end up with a muddy mess... (redundant?!) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back