Shure Srh840 vs. Grado SR80i
Sep 30, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
AT this point, I really am leaning toward the Grado's. Most of what I listen to is rock and  metal, and I just really like the look of them in comparison to the Shure's. But I have to ask, are you having any problems with the comfort of it? I read that the main complaints with the Grado's is with the pads, but of course there are modifications that can fix it.

I find them to be quite comfortable, especially the SR80i. Try something like the 325i that uses the same headband and you'll notice how the weight of the cans
starts to make them a little unstable on your head. But it's a non-issue with the SR80i, 125i, 225i.

Here's a good recommendation for the head-band - The Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 'snap-on' headband fits nicely over Grado oem headbands.

Part # 185-340502

Makes the fit much more snug and you won't wear out the stock band. It just clips on. Easy as.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 32
Well, thanks! From all the insight I got, I think my final decision will be the Grado Sr225i. But, before I go out and buy them, is the price difference between the 225i and the 80i worth it? Or, should I buy the 80i's instead, and see whether or not I want to upgrade? I am looking at the 225i's more like an investment, than an upgrade. For some reason, I keep thinking that if I buy the Sr80i's, later at some point I'm just going to buy the 225i's anyway, so why wait?

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
Well, thanks! From all the insight I got, I think my final decision will be the Grado Sr225i. But, before I go out and buy them, is the price difference between the 225i and the 80i worth it? Or, should I buy the 80i's instead, and see whether or not I want to upgrade? I am looking at the 225i's more like an investment, than an upgrade. For some reason, I keep thinking that if I buy the Sr80i's, later at some point I'm just going to buy the 225i's anyway, so why wait?

If you're after a long term investment and intend to use them a lot then the SR225i is worth it over the SR80i.

The SR80i comes with the 1/8 plug and it's lighter so it is more manageable for portable use but at home
using a dedicated source - the 225i is the better can.

Don't forget that they will generally sound better after 20+ hours or so of 'burn-in' playing music and
that to get the most out of them - listen to quality recordings. There will be one or two recordings
in your collection that will now sound terrible. That's just the 'phones revealing how bad the recording is.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
AT this point, I really am leaning toward the Grado's. Most of what I listen to is rock and  metal, and I just really like the look of them in comparison to the Shure's. But I have to ask, are you having any problems with the comfort of it? I read that the main complaints with the Grado's is with the pads, but of course there are modifications that can fix it.

Yes they are very uncomfortable. My advice is to bend the headband a bit and replace the pads with the sennheiser hd414 pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317363906&sr=8-1

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #20 of 32
You get the Grado for your house, then the HD-25 for the road or the Superlux 660/Beyerdynamic DT235 if you don't want to take something so expensive outside.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #21 of 32
Ok thanks guys. Is there a problem with the leakage when it comes to the Grado's? i know they are an open back design and they really can't be compared to noise-cancelling or full sized headphones. And do they let in enough noise that listening to them in public is a had idea?

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Ok thanks guys. Is there a problem with the leakage when it comes to the Grado's? i know they are an open back design and they really can't be compared to noise-cancelling or full sized headphones. And do they let in enough noise that listening to them in public is a had idea?

if your in a quiet room, people will know exactly what your listening too. outside, no one will notice your music, but they 'will' be jealous : )

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #23 of 32
Where will you be listening? Do you need isolation? Will it ne in a noisy environment or will it be mostly quiet?

The Grado is an open design which leak the music that's playing outward and ambient sound in. The Shure is a closed design better suited for listening in a noisy environment or if you can't have music leak out like in a library or work area.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
Most of my listening will be done at home with my Mav Audio DAC1, but I will occasionally want to take the Grado's when I go to school on the bus.

Grado's on the bus isn't a very good idea. I took my Alessandro MS1 which is a Grado on public transportation and got stares. If your going to use it portably i recommend closed back headphones.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 32
All right. Just wondering, is a portable headphone amp necessary to drive the Grado's when using an iPhone in outdoor conditions, or can they be connected directly to the headphone out of the iPhone? 

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #27 of 32

Quote:
All right. Just wondering, is a portable headphone amp necessary to drive the Grado's when using an iPhone in outdoor conditions, or can they be connected directly to the headphone out of the iPhone? 

They don't need an amp. They run incredibly efficiently from an ipod/iphone source. They are great for rock and metal so i would get them regardless. Good price to performance ratio.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
All right, thanks guys. I probably won't buy these until I get a bit more money in my pocket, but for sure my mind's made up with the Grado Sr225i's.

The sr225i may need an amp. I thought you were after the sr80i.

The sr225i has a 1/4 inch adapter so i recommend you get this.

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317427104&sr=8-1

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #30 of 32
Yeah, I was after the Sr80i's at first, but thinking about it, I'm probably gonna end up upgrading to the Sr225i's at some point later, so I might as well jump straight for them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back