Shure Srh840 vs. Grado SR80i
Sep 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

monsterevo

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just joined Head-Fi recently hoping to get some more info on building my head-fi system.

I want to know, in your opinion, what's better: the Shure Srh840 or the Grado SR80i's?

I've had my eye on a few other headphones, but from the reviews I've read, these seem to be the best choices. Also, I'll be using the Maverick Audio DAC-1 to drive them.

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 32
These are 2 very different headphones. If you are looking for something very fun and plan to listen to quite a bit of rock I would recommend the Grado's. If you plan to listen to everything else I would take the SRH-840's. But you should probably be looking at the sr-225 instead of the sr-80.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 32
Tough choice. If you are rock, metal or acoustic guitar music orientated then the SR80i will be the
number #1 sonically speaking. Aesthetics and being leaky might be sufficient drawbacks for
you though, but they will sound better for those genres.

The 840 is a great all round can, just be careful with the folding hinges, clumsy manhandling
can result in breakage.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 32
What about the Shure's or the Grado's when it comes to portability? I know the Shure's can fold, but after what you just said, they may not be a good choice to be carrying around in my backpack.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 32

Quote:
What about the Shure's or the Grado's when it comes to portability? I know the Shure's can fold, but after what you just said, they may not be a good choice to be carrying around in my backpack.

I carry my SR80i's around in my rucksuck, I use a clothed bag to store them in and make sure that they don't get
squashed by books or other heavier items. They're pretty rugged.

Otherwise, just them hang from your neck, they're pretty light and comfortable (not to mention fashionable! :))

If you're hell bent on giving them a really rough time then get an Audio Technica M50.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
I carry my SR80i's around in my rucksuck, I use a clothed bag to store them in and make sure that they don't get
squashed by books or other heavier items. They're pretty rugged.

Otherwise, just them hang from your neck, they're pretty light and comfortable (not to mention fashionable! :))

If you're hell bent on giving them a really rough time then get an Audio Technica M50.

I have both the m50's and the sr80i's. I love them both, and both have very different 'house' sounds. If you asked me which was my favorite, and the most fun to listen too, it would be the grados. But at the end of the day, you would have to pry both of them out of my cold dead hands.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 32
If you are buying the SRH840 new Shure has good customer service and warranty. In my experience the SRH840 are very durable, portable use wise. More durable then the Grado but Grado are cheap to fix.

The SRH840 is a better do it all headphone. Not that SRH840 are ugly but Grados looks better in public (ironically they are open so not ideal for public use)  and Grado sounds more interesting.
Personally, I found it difficult to listen to music in louder volumes with the SR-80i and 125 over long periods so I got the MS1i instead 

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
After what you guys have said, I'm favoring the Grado's over the Shure's. But, what are the differences between the SR80i's and the SR225i's?

Better cable, fuller sound, slightly better detail, more bass quality and quantity. Bowl pads as standard instead of flat foam on the SR80i's.

But the SR80i's do sound more airy if you get a spare set of bowls to use as an extra.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 32

Quote:
Better cable, fuller sound, slightly better detail, more bass quality and quantity. Bowl pads as standard instead of flat foam on the SR80i's.

But the SR80i's do sound more airy if you get a spare set of bowls to use as an extra.

225i's will respond to amplification a tad more than the SR80i's.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Tough choice. If you are rock, metal or acoustic guitar music orientated then the SR80i will be the
number #1 sonically speaking. Aesthetics and being leaky might be sufficient drawbacks for
you though, but they will sound better for those genres.

The 840 is a great all round can, just be careful with the folding hinges, clumsy manhandling
can result in breakage.

I have 2 problems with this post.

1. I prefer the smooth sound of the Shure Srh840 over the grado sound for rock and metal. Most rock/metal is recorded bad and will sound incredibly harsh on grado's.

2. Um what? I have never had issues with the shure folding hinges. If your really rough with them then maybe but they should last a long time.

My vote goes to the shure for better overall sound quality and durability.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
I just came upon something: the Superlux HD668B. Are the Grado's out of their league or around the same level with them?

I have yet to hear them but some long standing members stand by it as a very decent AKG replica of the 242/141 - that
is speaking in terms of its appearance.

One thing is for sure, it will not sound like a Grado. Nothing does.

Depends on your music - if you're a trance, beats, basshead - forget the Grado - it's for acoustic, jazz, metal and rock.

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #15 of 32
AT this point, I really am leaning toward the Grado's. Most of what I listen to is rock and  metal, and I just really like the look of them in comparison to the Shure's. But I have to ask, are you having any problems with the comfort of it? I read that the main complaints with the Grado's is with the pads, but of course there are modifications that can fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back