Shure SRH840- HELP!!! (Sorry to those who think this is a repeated thread)
Dec 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

havishpatel

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My first post!!! 

Ok, I am a teenager who loves to listen to music. I listen to RnB, Pop, Hip hop, a little rock and a little dubstep. I use a 3rd gen ipod touch.

I am looking for some over ear heaphones that are comfortable ( I have big ears ) and sound absolutely amazing. 

On review, the Shure SRH840 comes up ( www.themacfeed.com ) had a really strong review on them, but a mate of mine told me to check out this website before I bought them (they cost £140 ish). 

So I scoured loads of threads here and now I am completely confused. Are the Shure SRH840's good, or is there better in the same price range? Could someone please help me?

Many thanks :)

And sorry to those who are reading this thinking that I am an idiot for reposting another thread, I just couldn't find a thread that answered my questions :)

Merry christmas and happy new year to all :) 

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 17
if youre listening to music with a lot of bass..
i suggest you get the ATH-M50
the signature is quite similar with the SRH840, but with a little more bass.

and its cheaper too

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
if youre listening to music with a lot of bass..
i suggest you get the ATH-M50
the signature is quite similar with the SRH840, but with a little more bass.

and its cheaper too

+1.

Although I'd also suggest you check out the Beyerdynamic DT770 and DT880's too.

840's (and 440's too) not enough low end IMO.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks so much to both of you for your really fast response. 

I have looked at all the models you suggested, however, on another thread the M50's are described as not having the same sound quality as the 840's. 

If I am perfectly honest, I would prefer crystal clear sound quality rather than a booming bass! 

Have you tried any of these headphones?

Also, do you have any recommendations that are below £130 ish but have amazing sound quality? Haha, basically, I am asking what are the best headphones you know at around this price (the cheaper the better)

Many thanks :)

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 17
For you M50 IMO.  There is disagreement on this for a number of reasons.  But, on my listen the M50 was clearer and had a blacker background plus that more natural rounded bass and notes.  The 840 sounds more neutral but has a slight veil to it and was a bit noisier in comparison.  Certainly nothing like a Sennheiser veil but noticeable in direct comparison w/ my tape modded M50.  If you listen to rap and hip hop at all you wont find the M50 bass too much at all.  It's usually those that don't even listen to those genres that think the 840 bass is 'perfect'.  Some feel the M50 bass is too light and go to the Sony XB500/700.  Now that is exaggerated for specific genres.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 17
i tried both, and prefered the M50
the 840 is flater sounding, and a bit grainy
while the M50 is a bit fun sounding and smooth across the spectrum..

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 17
Again, thanks so much for your replies!

What about the beyerdynamic dt770 and dt880?

How do they compare with the Shure's or the M50's?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks, this forum is really good!

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 17
What about the Creative Aurvana Live headphones? They seem well priced considering the strength of some of the reviews. And the Shure SRH440? Apparently they are more fun than the 840's? 

This makes me wonder how people actually by headphones, and spend so much on them, it is so difficult to choose a pair!!!

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 17
i havnt used the srh840 but i own the srh750dj headphones and they compare to the m50s quite nicely i would definately reccomend them but keep in mind the srh840 would probably be a little more clear but the 2 should sound similar.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 17
i have heard 750dj, m50, and the 840

750dj have the most bass, and 840 have the least
the m50 is the clearer of the bunch, but its the most comfortable

the 750DJ have the strongest clamp,

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 17
I've got the 440's with the 840 pads and a Senn headband velcro'ed on - I listen to them more than any other headphone I have, now I've got 300+ hours on them - Amped they sound absolutely fantastic to me, I never went with the 840's due to many people saying they were more on line with studio and analytical listening and with the 440's I can just listen and enjoy my music, nothing stands out more than anything else to me and the bass is refined and tight (don't understand people saying it lacks).
wink.gif

The only problem you might have is that they may become fatiguing on the top of your head (mine did anyway) after long periods of use, just because they are reasonably heavy - Take into consideration that the 840's are 140 grams heavier than the 440's.

On the other hand, the AT m50's are meant to be brilliant for there money - I need to try some one day - For me I just couldn't see them giving me a whole lot more from my source in comparison to the Shure's, and I picked the Shure's up for nearly half the price so.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
i have heard 750dj, m50, and the 840

750dj have the most bass, and 840 have the least
the m50 is the clearer of the bunch, but its the most comfortable

the 750DJ have the strongest clamp,

But is it worth sacrificing the clarity of the M50's for the bass on the 750 dj's? 

I really like the M50's- the foldable idea will really help portability but I need the sound quality :) 

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #15 of 17
the bass on the M50 is not to be considered weak either..
it has good punch and goes very deep, 

but the 750DJ is a bit punchier, and i suggest you get the M50,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back