Shure SRH840 earpad mod.
Feb 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

lxxl

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first real mod, and I really start to enjoy this, maybe some of you guys are interested. Ideas come from other people's sock mods and Graphicism JVC HA-RX700 Mods

This mod only cost me a few dollars, it does no damage to my earpads and it's totally reversible. All I used was a pair of black nylon socks and black cardboard (I found these in a dollar store)

e001.jpg

This mod:
It adds more comfort for those doesn't like the feeling of leather pads and adds more room inside the cups.

Other effects:
Some sound leak due to mod, as well as, changes sound slightly, depends on the materials used. I find mine slightly more bass and set 1 row back.

Choice of Materials:
Nylon socks, thin socks for less sound leak, also thicker material will probably give more bass.
Cardboard, thin enough so it won't take up much room inside the earpads but strong enough to hold it up. Also, doesn't speakers partly made out from cardboard?

e002.jpg

I cut my pair of socks 3.5" long, and the cardboard is 8.5" long and 0.5" width (2 folds from 1.5" wide) and tape together at the ends to make a circle.

e003.jpg

Then I put the sock on the earpad like so, leave enough room so it can go around in the inside.

e004.jpg

Then used the cardboard as a seal, right inside of the earpad. This also adds extra room for your ears inside.

e005.jpg

Do it to both side of your ear pads, then it's done!

I really do love the sound of these stock but the comfort level of leather pads has been... annoying.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 47
About the same, I didn't notice any wider sound stage.

Please keep in mind I am still fairly new with this, my comments can be silghtly off
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 47
This will probably work for other phones that can fit a seal inside.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 47
Just remember to clean the socks.

I'll try something similar if I ever encounter uncomfortable headphones, it's a neat idea.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 47
Geez, don't used a pair of socks that you just wore! My pair of socks are new
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #10 of 47
i might have to do this for my 440's. anyone have experience with 840 pads on the 440s? i would like to hear more comments before i go and get the pads; so far it's no.... and this mod would fix my issue with earpad comfort. dollar store here i come.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 47
I just got my SRH840s the other day and while they are comfortable enough, I really do not like pleather pads. I also have a pair of HFI-780s with the velour replacement pads on them. Looking at both cans, the pads appear to be similar in size. I am going to try the velour pads to see how that works. I will report my findings.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by draven5494 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my SRH840s the other day and while they are comfortable enough, I really do not like pleather pads. I also have a pair of HFI-780s with the velour replacement pads on them. Looking at both cans, the pads appear to be similar in size. I am going to try the velour pads to see how that works. I will report my findings.

It would be interesting to hear your findings.

I also find the 840 pads a little bit uncomfortable,although they are better now after many hours of use

If i can find some pads with more space inside for my ears,then it would be nice.

Are these ultrasone earpads original,or they are some modified or from another company or something like that?

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 47
These are the velour ear pads I am using on my HFI-780s right now:
Beyerdynamic | Padded Earcushions for DT250/DT280 | 942704 | B&H

They work very well. They are much more comfortable to me than the stock pleather pads. I was looking at those pads and my SRH840s yesterday and the size looks to be just about the same. So, I am going to put those on there tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 47
draven5494,

If the Beyer pads fit, could you please comment on the seal/isolation? Thanks!

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 47
I also have a spare DT990 earpads, it was hard but manageable to fit them on the SRH840. But it changed the sound so much, it was not listenable.

The stock SRH840 earpads has the magic, and that's why I did the mod on top of stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back