SHURE SRH750DJ
Jun 13, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Heres a review that I just posted on the SRH750s. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497032/shure-srh750-review-impression Thats my experience with them so far. I think they actually do extremely well with classical and I'm kinda a classical music geek so maybe 50% of my music is classical. In terms of other types of music, the Shures seem to handle them pretty well. 

what other headphones did you try ?  i am sure that the 750DJ can do classical..a lot of headphones can but that doesn't mean that they are optimal for this genre. imo,classical music goes best with neutral and balanced frequency response..in contrast to other genres like metal and electronica which need a little bump in the bass in order to sound good.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #17 of 32
I like my classical with bass, thank you very much!

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #18 of 32

This is where we stop and say, "Freq Response doesn't tell the whole story."

Don't be deceived by the bass hump in the graph. The SRH750's bass doesn't sound as bloated as the M50's. It's deep, powerful and rich but doesn't drown out the mids and highs the way the M50 does. Like I keep saying, The SRH750 sounds like a more refined M50. 

Quote:

the DJ750 bass response is really huge by the graph.    the m50 bass is already too much,but still acceptable in order to not ruin the sound.   by the way it seems that M50 should be better for classical because the fact they have less bass.  i still need to listen to the shures to confirm this..so i am not sure.
although the 750's mids seem a little better,the bass issue here is more relevant imo.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 32

I guess I should expand a little. I am kinda new to the headphone thing so my opinion is probably kinda iffy. I tried the HD555s and the Grados M2is and a couple other headphones. I think the HD555s (or probably most of the Senns HD series) definitely handle classical better, but for closed headphones that emphasize bass, the SRH750s did not disapoint me at all in terms of how well it can handle classical music overall. It far exceeded my expectations for this kind of headphone. 
Quote:
what other headphones did you try ?  i am sure that the 750DJ can do classical..a lot of headphones can but that doesn't mean that they are optimal for this genre. imo,classical music goes best with neutral and balanced frequency response..in contrast to other genres like metal and electronica which need a little bump in the bass in order to sound good.

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #20 of 32
I tried my M50 with classical,and although it was not bad..the mids are a little recessed and too much bass for classical music for me.  I would also like the highs to be a litte more extended.   while i am a fan of coloured sound in general (RS1,M50,D5000) i truly prefer listening to classical with the flattest frequency response as possible,as it sounds best to me.

I also think that it makes a lot of sense listening to natural music (i.e with no effects) with a flat system.  it could be classical,or any acoustic/unplugged music including jazz.   when effect start to take place in the music,than there are no rules anymore!  at least that's how i see it.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #21 of 32
SRH750 does have a tad too much bass, a somewhat annoying peak around 3 kHz and rather hot mid treble region from 8-12 kHz. With a poor quality source, they can sound a tad harsh, especially at higher volumes. The mids can also sound recessed with some sources. But SRH750 DJs are still much superior to the ATH-M50 IMO. The M50s are a bit less peaky in the mids and highs, but they have uncontrolled bass compared to the SRH750s, which can sometimes intrude into the mids, whereas the low end on the Shures is always perfectly controlled and much tighter than on M50. The mids and highs are also much more textured on the Shure - the SRH750s pick up significantly more micro detial than the M50s. Overall, I would pick SRH750 over the M50 any day for pretty much any type of music - the Shure is simply a better can technically as well as musically IMO.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #22 of 32
My findings on the SRH750 DJ based on my limited testing time pretty much coincide with the Pianist's findings. Again I would whole-heartedly recommend the 750 over the M50 any day of the week, it's certainly not a neutral or balanced headphone, it is most definitely a fun, colored can, but if that's what you're after this is perhaps the best can you can get at this price point bar none. Especially if you are a bass head. And really at the price it's going for I really believe it's a steal.

Its only real problem is the comfort and fit problem, though I'm sure you can mod it with sufficient bending and other forceful applications of force to alleviate. I will eventually pick this headphone up, pending sales of some of my other redundant headphones (I promised myself not to buy any more headphones until I sell some of my older ones).

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #23 of 32
Jan 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #25 of 32
I'm not completely sure where to write about this but...

So i've had these srh750dj's now for almost 2 years. Been really great so far and i really like them, but recently i have faced this problem with the pads. They get really hard and they even crack. So when i changed the pads for first time after an year of use, the improvement in quality was really good compared to the hardened pads. So i'm wondering since the replacement pads are out soon as well that is there way to keep them soft and smooth? Or is the only chance to get the high quality for me to buy new set of pads every 2 years?

Its my first post and i'm new to this, so i just want to thank you for reading it trough. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #27 of 32
ive been wanting to try these out for a while, but wanting to know more about the bass on them. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #28 of 32
I don't know anything about the Sure DJ, as I have not listened to them.  However I use the M50's as my portable library/coffee shop headphone with my Ipod Classic.  Most of my listening is Jazz and Blues. Contrary to an opinion stated above, they do very well with this music.  I do use a portable amp and line out.  My hornet does wonders, but even my fiio 11 does a good job. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
ive been wanting to try these out for a while, but wanting to know more about the bass on them.

The SRH750 bass aren't huge, they are less punchy than m50 bass, but can be more deep imo. The srh750 is a more bright headphone but never aggressive, sometimes feel more balanced too and has a much bigger soundstage than the M50.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #30 of 32
i thought srh750 had rolled off highs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back