Shure SRH750DJ VS Beyer DT770-80
Dec 16, 2010 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
After much searching I've come down to picking between these 2 headphones. I know both of them are bass heavy, but what will be the deciding factor is which one is more balanced and offers more soundstage. I'm really not looking for other suggestions, I just need to know which of these 2 will be the better deal. I tried the K-240s but they just didn't have enough bass for me. 

I found both of these phones at Guitar Center, the SRH750DJ is $150 while the Beyers are $190. I know I could get them cheaper but I want them ASAP and I don't want to wait and order them online. The guy at Guitar Center said I should go with the Beyers, but are they really worth the extra $40? I've been leaning towards the SRH750DJs but if anyone thinks that the DT770s will be a better value let me know.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 17
They are a bit opposite sounding so difficult to say but I'm not sure if you'd get everything out of the DT770-80 with an E5. Shure 750DJs are warmer, mids are far less recessed and highs are slightly smoother and bass is a bit punchier vs DT770 which is just slightly laid-back sounding (more like Sennheiser sound signature) and has somewhat boomier/deeper bass and has more recessed mids and somewhat brighter highs. 

Since it's questionable if E5 is enough to drive DT770-80 properly (not talking about volume but sound quality wise) I'd say the Shures in this case, it's the safer bet IMO. I've always had better result picking something I can run more than good enough vs something that is questionable if it's driven properly at least.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 17
Also, can anyone tell me if the 750DJ are significantly better than the Sennheiser HD 485s? Sorry for all the questions, but Guitar Center has a no return policy on headphones, so what I buy is what I'll be stuck with.

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 17
I've got the 750DJ/E5 combo and it's bliss (hasn't stopped me upgrading the amp, mind!). Bass certainly not overpowering, even with the bass boost on. Love the DJs - they go so deep, but never owerpowering. Mids and highs are balanced & neutral. Lovely, comfortable sound - you never tire of listening to them. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 17
I think I'm gonna go for them, although I really wish they would just let me try them first, I don't want to get them if it won't be a noticeable improvement over the HD 485s. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 17
With proper amp, no contest 770/80 wins. But with E5, I think better if you get 750DJ (just make sure that cans comfort enough on your head)

With proper set-up 770/80 will offering smooth yet detailed treble, with laidback mid and big deep bass, also present better staging than 750DJ. It's not tight bass type, but it never disturb mid and treble area. 

other option that also good is ATH Pro700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back