shure srh750dj sound quality and reliability?
Dec 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
i just bought these headphones a dew days ago and all the reviews were praising the sound quality. but i find the quality to sound about average for a pair of $60 headphones. they cost me 129.99 dollars and they were on sale form 189.99 dollars. is it cause they havnt burned it. do i need to get an amp for it. if so where can i get one in canada that doesnt require ordering online. i listen to rock metal and classical with these with the slight techno once in a while. does the genres i listen to have something to do with it. thanks for your help.

i am not a dj i just enjoy dj sound quality. i have a pair of pioneer se m390 headphones that sound just as good as these headphones. and they were worth $60. is this strange?

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 28
any help woulod be apreciated.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 28
Well sound quality is only determined by what you think good sound quality is, maybe you just don't like the sound signature.

Personally I find these to be very precise with emphasis on the bass and Highs. That's a very cut down explination on my  feelings about their sound by the way but it could be you like something warmer or not so forward, or maybe the bass isn't enough. I['ve only heard a few headphones with more bass, one being the DT770 Pro another the XB500 and when EQ'd for it the RX700's.

I'd suggest you try out headphones before you buy them to know what you like, it's hard to just spend money by reading reviews online and always be happy, this is really obvious in audio and headphones.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 28
If you could try explain exactly more detailed what you didn't like about the sound in the Shure 750DJs then maybe we could point you in the right direction. Use your imagination or some realworld example or whatever to try explain if you're not familiar with geeky headphone speech such as warm/forward, laid-back sound, soundstage etc. Headphones with same price can sound very different and please different people so that's why it's important to know how you want it to sound like. The Pioneer headphones aren't very popular around here so don't know how those sounds like, if I had known it would be easier to tell.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 28
the problems i seem to have are that bass is really good but the overall sound of the headphones is kinda muddy. i find it hard to understand the vocals and instrumentals in lots of my music. but the bass is killer. sorry i cannot explain much more i am new to this geeky headphone talk. i do consider myself an audiofile and would probably very rarely ever buy headphones for less then 150$ canadian nowadays. but i really apreciate all the answers. thanks alot. maybe you can help me understand the concept of soundstage. thanks

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 28
You concider Shure 750DJs muddy? Wow :xf_eek: Help me Shure 750DJ owners interpret this one! :p

"Muddy" sound usually comes from either lack of treble presence, or too much bass emphasize especially in the upper bass (125 - 500Hz range) or overall too warm sound signature. In this case I don't think it's lack of treble/highs as it's concidered fairly bright. The headphone is fairly warm sounding but it shouldn't be too extreme. Possibly you could actually talk about somewhat recessed mid frequencies though.

If you want similar bass then your choices are fairly limited, I can think of Ultrasone HFI-580 of being one with quite strong but not overpowering punchy bass and the vocals are very up-front and are concidered good from a certain person here that is very picky about vocals especially. If it's really what you're looking for I'm not so sure though from the description you gave but you could look into it for more info. It should also possibly have better instrument separation, at least Ultrasone are marketing their "S-logic" for that but yea if it makes such a drastic difference or not is questionable. Should be very "clear" sounding though.

Anyway off to bed I go, 4:30 AM here. xD

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 28
thanks for that. maybe not quite muddy but not as clear as it could be for the 190$ price range.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 28
i honestly thought i was going to get more answers then this.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 28
thanks the more i listen to it the more i apreciate it.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
thanks the more i listen to it the more i apreciate it.

i changed my opinion on this. is it just me or do these headphones sound good enough to find imperfections in the audio recordings. because i havnt found many songs sound good except for classic rock. pink floyd sounds incredible with these headphones but modern stuff such as rise against doesnt. it tends to distort. how can you tell if its the audio recording or the headphones. and how much of an improvement would i get if i get an amp or dac. thanks.

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 28
bump

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
Have you burned them in? I felt the same when I took them out of the box, but when I burned in my 750DJs for about 50 hours they really sounded alot better. 

whats the best ways to burn them in

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 28
i have listened to them for about 4 hours every day since i got them on the 26th of december.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back