Shure SRH750DJ Review
Mar 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gonfub

New Head-Fier
Well, I've had these babies for about three months, and here is my review. In short, you probably are comparing these headphones to the M50's, if so, my personal opinion is that three months in, the SRH750DJ's are better. If you would like to stick around and find out why, then, keep on reading.

Alright, so before I had the HD212 from Sennheiser, and I was very happy with the bass, because I am a huge hip-hop listener, but I was going through cables like no tomorrow. I'm a University student so at many times I'm in a rush and I am in a rush a lot of the time and don't have a lot of time to worry about taking the best care of them. So here comes my first spec.

Durability + Usability

I checked out these headphones, and from the beginning, I fell in love with them because of the durability. One great thing is the cable is coiled, so it can be stretched if you need it to be, but it then coils again and you're not constantly having to tie it up with some rubber band or something. The cable is also thick at the end where it goes into your Ipod, or computer, so that end is not going to break on you, as for the end that goes in your headphones, it twists in, it's got a locking mechanism, and you are not breaking that end. I've shoved these things in my bag, I drag them around the room by the cable if I'm too lazy to get up and get them, I mean these things are pretty much indestructible. The end that connects into your Ipod is long enough so you will not have any problems with cases, I have one on my iTouch, and it goes in fine.

Comfort

Here is the one bad thing about these headphones. During your first 2 weeks of using them, they really aren't very comfortable. I guess they have to stretch themselves out or something. It hurts if you use them for longer than 2 hours. I have been using these things with no comfort issues for about 2 months now though. I've got them on for 5, 6 hours at a time and I've got no problems.

Sound Quality

So last week, I saw an old high-school friend. It was the first time I had seen him around the university, and we got to talking about how things are going, and I was on my laptop and he saw me listening to some tunes on my headphones and asked them on for a try. So he tried them on, and he was surprised, the song was Runaway by Kanye West, and he said something along the lines of, "wow, I did not know those really high notes were there", so I tried his headphones on, and he had M50's, using the same song, and I have to say, the bass was very similar, but the song sounded more drowned out to me, I didn't hear as rich of a sound as I did on mine.

One incredible thing about the 750's is you hear how good they really are at high volumes. They give you amazing bass, but it's still sharp bass, the show great control at high volumes, compared to other headphones that tend to have more distorted bass at higher volumes. 

If you're looking for headphones under $150, I would seriously recommend these. Get past that 3 week uncomfortable period, and you will never go back. They are truly amazing and if you're like me, and need it, are extremely durable. Cheers.

P.S. I know this review isn't the most technical, but I just made one to try and tell people that are like me and not very knowledgeable on headphoens a review in plain english.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2 of 19
I actually like reading a review once in a while that doesn't describe everything in audiophile terms, it's much more relatable. And you managed it really great.

Just one question: what do you think of the presentation? It's a very hard caracteristic to analize, but in my opinion, it's like the sound is all there, right in front of you, even though it has really deep bass which would make it warm for some.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 19
While I like the SQ of the 750 dj, these round shaped ear pads are killing me. The lower part of my ears and the back of my ears are pressed or clamped so much, it hurts bad to enjoy the music.

This is not a good example for no pain no gain. Why the damned ear pads have to be round instead of oval shape?  

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 19
I can't even wear them when I auditioned them. Even with both extenders fully extended the two earpads still don't cover my ears fully. And my skull size is only average too. It's ridiculous how inapt the Shure designers were.

@OP,
About the particular song by Kanye, what exactly were the high notes that you were describing as being shown by the 750dj's? Is it that single-note piano rhythm played in the background or something else?

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 19
i agree with everything op said except for durability. i find these to be badly built and cheaply made. the extender looks like it will easily snap, and it doesn't help that people have had these snap on them and reported it. that's my main reason for returning them for the shure srh840. i only went with shure because i didn't want to order online and i was stuck with whatever best buy was selling.

Jun 9, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
how durable is the plastic on the swivel? i don't have a big head and never use the extenders on headphones. 

the extender is cheap but the twist joint seemed rather durable to me.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 19
ah man. i think i miss these things. something about the bass these produced was nostalgic and i always had people comment on how cool they look.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 19
Here's my take on the Shure 750dj:
These shures sound quite good. Nice tight bass & treble that isn't excessive but not veiled either.
Soundstage width is okay but depth is nice. The mids although very clear & airy with a nice body, are not forward. Although this can be fixed by some eq or source changes. Like with the sony a726 it sounds very balanced because the sony already has forward mids.
Although these are quite easy to drive but an amp is strongly recommended.
Even a powerfull source like the Cowon i9 fails to bring the dynamics to a satisfactory level. With the sony A726 these sound wonderful.

Built quality is OK. It makes some creeky sounds while wearing or during adjustments.
Here's a pic:

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Here's my take on the Shure 750dj:
These shures sound quite good. Nice tight bass & treble that isn't excessive but not veiled either.
Soundstage width is okay but depth is nice. The mids although very clear & airy with a nice body, are not forward. Although this can be fixed by some eq or source changes. Like with the sony a726 it sounds very balanced because the sony already has forward mids.
Although these are quite easy to drive but an amp is strongly recommended.
Even a powerfull source like the Cowon i9 fails to bring the dynamics to a satisfactory level. With the sony A726 these sound wonderful.

Built quality is OK. It makes some creeky sounds while wearing or during adjustments.
Here's a pic:

how do you find the comfort. i found them uncomfortable after many hours of use.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
how do you find the comfort. i found them uncomfortable after many hours of use.

Agree. I cannot listen more than ~2 hours continuously.
this is mostly because the cups are very shallow & after continuous listening it becomes really irritating as my ears touch the base of the pads all time.
Also the pads are not all that soft & in fact after 6 months of use the pads have become quite stiff  & has several cracks.
Can you suggest me any replacement pads with more depth? I've tried searching previously but couldn't find. I was thinking of replacing with Sony SA5000 leather pads but i am not sure if the size would be similar.

Jun 10, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 19
The headband on the phones is very thick & either side of the headband has thick plastic under the wrap. Due to this while wearing/stretching the force acts more on the center rather than the either ends. As a result these make a shape that looks like
jecklinsmile.gif
& not
smily_headphones1.gif
. Looks very ugly.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 19
I got the SRH750DJ a couple of days ago.  I REALLY like its sound signature.  I swapped the stock pads with ones from my Panasonic HTF600, which are comfier.
It's definitely not the most comfy headphone.  One issue that's been mentioned is the size/shape of the headband and the lack of sufficient extension.  For me, between the maximum and the next-to-maximum extension fits perfectly.  The clamping force is a bit strong, but not painfully so.
I LOVE how it sounds: Powerful and Clean, doesn't distort at loud volumes, great bass [quality and enough quantity] - mid range is good - treble is crisp.  It's not muddy at all.
So far, I have about 15-20 hours of burn-in.  Not sure if I notice a difference.
I DO notice a huge difference between amps.  My Nuforce Icon Mobile can't power it well enough and it sounds less dynamic and powerful.  My SR-71b powers it superbly and it sounds awesome.
I paid full price [$150] for these but I still think they're well worth the money.

​

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 19
a lot of people complain that the ear cushions are circular, not oval shaped. i think part of the reasoning behind shures design is that they were meant for djs. its convenient to have circular cushions when you're tilting your head cueing up the next track in a mix while the other ear is listening to the sound system. i didn't realize this until i tried mixing with my srh 440s. the oval shape gets obnoxious as your ear never perfectly fits in the cushion while the headphones are around your neck.
alternatively, the wideness of around the ear/oval shaped headphones gets pretty uncomfortable if you cue by having one cushion on and the other towards the back of your head. (the 90 degree swivel cups are definitely a plus in that respect).  
just some thoughts id share in defense of shure and their design team. they had djs in mind when making this design. to each their own of course. I'm sure there are plenty of djs out there that prefer oval shaped, just know theres a strong massive that enjoy circular ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back