Shure SRH440 vs Grado SR60
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mateusbatera

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I want to buy a good pair of full-sized headphones and I saw those two are in the same price range. Which one is better? My priority is comfort. My ears are quite large and prominent, so they tend to be sore after being pressed by a tight headphone for a few minutes.

Moreover, I'm not planning to use them with an amp, or a high-end source. Just want to attach them to my computer, or iPod while working.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 17
Two very different phones. What's your musical preference? SRH440s are neutral and analytical, Grados are supposed to be fun headphones and are probably one of the most popular sets you'll find here.

I have the SRH440s, love 'em, but they're best for vocal, acoustic, or rock music imho. Not the best for bass heavy stuff.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 17

Quote:
Two very different phones. What's your musical preference? SRH440s are neutral and analytical, Grados are supposed to be fun headphones and are probably one of the most popular sets you'll find here.

I have the SRH440s, love 'em, but they're best for vocal, acoustic, or rock music imho. Not the best for bass heavy stuff.

It's hard to tell, cause I listen to a lot of different stuff. If I were to tell what I'm into, I'd say folk, alternative/indie rock, blues and new metal. But regarding the comfort factor, which one would you recommend?

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 17
For comfort, the 440s are probably a bit better than the Grados. Lots of people find the Grado pads on the harsh side. I've got the SR80, not the 60, so take my comments in that light.

The Grados are fun, wonderful for rock and completely open. They leak sound like a sieve. The 440s are also fun and I think they've got a better sound stage and detail than the Grados. Neither are bassy phones.

I've never had any fatigue issues with either.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 17
I haven't worn a pair of Grados in years. What I can tell you is, SRH440s w/ the SRH840 pads are very comfortable, though some find them heavy. They are a bulky set if you aren't used to larger cans. With those listening preferences, if you aren't looking for a headphone to rattle your head off with bass, you want something sturdily built that you can take with you and enjoy the audio quality of, I think you'll really enjoy the SRH440s.

Definitely think about the SRH840 pads though, they're memory foam, fit the 440s perfectly, and the 440 stock pads are not as comfortable.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 17
Changing pads on the grado's increase comfort. (bowl or HD414 pads)

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 17
I have not heard the Grado's but love my 440's.  I would also recommend the 840 pads.  I also have added a Sennheiser HD-580 replacement headband to the underside of the headband, which I found  little hard.  I listen to just about every type of music, and the 440's are not bass heavy, but feel like they accurately reproduce what the music should sound like.  They don't add extra bass to the music.  They sound great on vocal and acoustic music.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 17
Where did you get the HD-580 replacement band? That's really the only thing this set of cans bugs me. It leaves a red mark on my head because it's hard and I shave my head. Any tutorial on adding it to the headband?

Quote:
I have not heard the Grado's but love my 440's.  I would also recommend the 840 pads.  I also have added a Sennheiser HD-580 replacement headband to the underside of the headband, which I found  little hard.  I listen to just about every type of music, and the 440's are not bass heavy, but feel like they accurately reproduce what the music should sound like.  They don't add extra bass to the music.  They sound great on vocal and acoustic music.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

Just a question: are the 440 earcup headphones? I definitely don't get along with those cans. They make my ears burn quite easily...

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 17
If you're looking for on-ear options, here are some additional options for ya:

Sennheiser HD228, HD238, PX200

Ultrasone HFi-15G

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 17
I got the HD-580 band from B & H Photo bhphotovideo.com.  I have not permanently attached it yet, but it has been a huge improvement.  (I have it tied on with two rubberbands that I cut.)  I am trying to figure out what to attach them with that attractive, and not destructive.  Double sided tape seems like the eays answer, but I don't like the idea of leaving the adhesive behind if I ever want to take it off.  I guess the headphones are still new enough that I don't want to do anything that would make them less than pristine.  Weird, I guess.  

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Is the pad the right size for the headband? Does it stick out past the width of the band, or does it line up? If it doesn't do you feel it could be trimmed? I don't mine using gorilla glue, or some kind of leather adhesive to stick it on permanently, but I want it to line up properly. Thanks for your response.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
If you're looking for on-ear options, here are some additional options for ya:

Sennheiser HD228, HD238, PX200

Ultrasone HFi-15G

If your looking for on ear those are some great recommendations. I own the HD238 myself, and love it for metal and heavy rock. Also consider Sennheisers HD25-1 ii, a little more expensive, but a highly praised portable on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back