Shure SRH440 or Sennheiser HD 203/205/428?
May 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

woopididi

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have 4 headphones to choose from: Shure SRH440 or Sennheiser HD 203/205/428. They will only be used at home, from a laptop/Sansa Clip+, for listening to music and watching movies. I listen to a lot of Rock (mostly Alternative) and also some Hip Hop & Funk. I own the Etymotic HF5 for portable use and they're great, and in comparison I'm looking for something a bit more fun and lively sounding, with a bit more bass, and at the same time clear. BTW, I wear glasses most of the time (not large ones though).

Please help me guys, I have to make a quick decision but I'm so confused...
Thanks in advance 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 6
From a sound quality standpoint the Shures are the clear winner here and they're very easy to drive(meaning an amp is not needed) they however, might present comfort issues especially since you wear glasses.  Hmm, maybe you get contacts?
tongue_smile.gif

May 5, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 6
SRH440's are the clear winner, although I can't recommend getting SRH840 pads with them enough, they're a steal (only $20). I wear glasses too and the softer material on them really helps with glasses-wearing comfort. Plus, the sound is much nicer with them as well, especially in the bass department. 

May 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Buy SRH440, wait for SRH940 velour pads to be out in stores, buy those and swap em on = comfort + sound quality!

Actually, since we don't know how long it will be before they're available nor how they will affect the sound with the SRH440's, we should take Matt Engstrom's advice (the designer of the SRH headphones) and use SRH440's with SRH840 pads as it has been proven to be both a comfortable yet sonically pleasing match. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back